Home

A lot of Madden copies traded in for MW2

This is a discussion on A lot of Madden copies traded in for MW2 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32
A lot of Madden copies traded in for MW2

Let me preface this with I'm neither pro nor anti Madden and I usually judge each version on it's on merits.

Now having said that, when I was in line the other night to pick up my copy of MW2, I noticed a lot......and I do mean a lot of the people in line had copies of Madden in their hand trading it in towards Modern Warfare. I would venture to say that probably a little over half the people in line were trading in Madden. ( I included myself as well since I had traded it in earlier for the same reason). Also, for those that don't know, the midnite release lines at Gamestop were loooong so that was quite a few copies getting traded it in. Gamestop got smart though and was only offering $15 for Madden now, but when I had traded it in they were offering $25 for it. I know this was brought up in one of the threads before and thought I would bring some awareness to it.

The thing is, what does this mean? The fact that all these people were trading in Madden certainly can't be a good sign, right? Then again, it could be a good thing, I mean, the simple fact that that many people even had copies of Madden to trade in is a good thing, right? So what happens next year? Do you think enough people bought into Madden this year to cause sales to increase next year? I mean I know sales are up, but all those copies getting traded it in has to mean something, right? Do you think people bought the game thinking it was good (causing sales numbers to jump) then realized it wasn't as good as they thought it would be, hence the trading in part. Something's not adding up here. Discuss.

EDIT: I realize that the title of this thread is a little misleading. I would like to change it but I can't
The title of this thread should be "A lot of Madden copies traded in for MW2" I'm really talking about the fact that a lot of people are trading in Madden towards MW2. That's actually what I wanna discuss. Hopefully one of the mods will change my title soon so it won't be so misleading.

Last edited by splff3000; 11-11-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: Is MW2 sales hurting Madden?

no

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 11-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 11

nope, madden was released months ago, i dont see how MW could still affect madden sales...
Old 11-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
All Star

splff3000's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzta21
nope, madden was released months ago, i dont see how MW could still affect madden sales...
I wasn't asking about sales. The title of this thread should be "A lot of Madden copies traded in for MW2" I'm really talking about the fact that a lot of people are trading in Madden towards MW2. That's actually what I wanna discuss. Hopefully one ogf the mods will change my title soon so it won't be so misleading.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

Trade ins dont directly affect sales numbers it can affect future numbers but once you buy it what you do with it is up to you... trade ins affect Video game retailers not the actual companies
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTigLSU
Trade ins dont directly affect sales numbers it can affect future numbers but once you buy it what you do with it is up to you... trade ins affect Video game retailers not the actual companies
True story. EA already got there money for Madden. Any sales they have now or when the playoffs/super bowl comes is just gravy!

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -
Old 11-11-2009, 05:00 PM   #7
All Star

splff3000's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTigLSU
I understand that part of it, but I'm just wondering how that will affect next year's sales. If I trade in a sports game a few months after buying it( before it's season has even ended) I usually don't plan on buying that next year's version. Having said that, next year, will be the first time I've ever ever ever rented Madden before I buy it.

EDIT: Also, since these people are trading in Madden now, they won't see the results of patch #2. That patch could make Madden the greatest GAME ever and a lot of people that bought the game won't know it because they traded it in towards MW2. In fact, that's actually why I named this thread "Are MW2 sales hurting Madden" at first. The new title fits better though.

Last edited by splff3000; 11-11-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
I understand that part of it, but I'm just wondering how that will affect next year's sales. If I trade in a sports game a few months after buying it( before it's season has even ended) I usually don't plan on buying that next year's version. Having said that, next year, will be the first time I've ever ever ever rented Madden before I buy it.
It doesn't matter to EA if people trade it in in November or February. Because it doesn't really effect EA's bottom line, they already got their sale. The only thing that it may change is EA's in game advertising $$ because not as many people will be playing online.
EA has no control over trade in's, the retailers do. Now, it's time for the Game Stop's of the world to increase their profit margin.

So honestly, I really don't see's how it effects next years game, at all.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »