Home

Real Life Cheese

This is a discussion on Real Life Cheese within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Real Life Cheese

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...unt/index.html

Thought this was an interesting read.
Just goes to show that yesterday's cheese is tomorrow's strategy. If you had put a running back or wide receiver at QB three years ago you would have been crucified for being a cheeser and now we have the Wildcat.

Who knows, in a few years punters may be obsolete.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Real Life Cheese

People abuse that word to the point it is just flat out annoying.

If a punter is ever obsolete then were not watching football anymore. If it ever gets to that point im done with that.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 7

here at my old high school they have a bounce pass here is the link
http://sportsbybrooks.com/video-high...s-for-td-26908
Old 11-13-2009, 01:48 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnutt6
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...unt/index.html

Thought this was an interesting read.
Just goes to show that yesterday's cheese is tomorrow's strategy. If you had put a running back or wide receiver at QB three years ago you would have been crucified for being a cheeser and now we have the Wildcat.

Who knows, in a few years punters may be obsolete.
Yeah, that was an interesting read.

As far as punters, didn't the XFL do away with punting in the season it existed, or maybe they just had different punting rules.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Great read thanks for posting. His reasons for doing what he does makes sense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-13-2009, 04:30 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

I've never been one to freak out any particular football strategy (the game, as a whole, seems fairly 'newton'ian... everything has an equal and opposite reaction, etc.).

The term 'cheese' has two kind of interpretations though. One is that of something being 'unrealistic' (aka going for it on 4th down all the time or scrambling with Vick every down). The other is problems within the framework of the game that can be exploited (like certain nano blitzes) to which there is no response within the game. The term is used interchangeably however.

Is always going for it on 4th down 'cheese'? Not really. Is lining up ronnie brown at QB ? not really.. There are consequences and answers to both such strategies.

Just know there is another facet to the term that exists only within madden.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 3

Hahahahahahaha!!! I just laughed when I read this.. Just great explanations from the coach...

I couldn't accept watching my NFL team doing this. You imagine Coughlin doing this in NY!!!

Nice post!!
Old 11-13-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

That is a great read, not go tell that to Mike Scifres and the Colts. The NFL and High School football are plyed at very different levels and the numbers are not the same. Even the article admits this regarding punt returns. Take the raider's or 49ers or many other punters who can boom the ball and with accuracy, and knowing the other team won't return it and you can pin them deep in their own territory. At the NFL level tempo and field position matter a lot more because you are working with players who compete at a higher level. The talent levels between high school players and pros vary a lot more. Just watch film of current and past NFL players when they were in high school on Youtube. People like Shaun Alexander, and even NBA player Allen Iverson would embarrass the competition. While Alexander proved to be so good that he was an elite rusher at even the NFL level, there are plenty of high school players who can still dominate their local gird iron.

I have a lot of doubts about the effectiveness this would have in the NFL. To be fair, the Patriots did this a lot two years ago, but they also had the talent to pull it off. Look how they were treated and how their season ended, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »