Home

An idea about removing overalls in the future

This is a discussion on An idea about removing overalls in the future within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
Rookie

jimmyy201's Arena

OVR: 6
An idea about removing overalls in the future

Why not just remove the overalls?
It would make more since.
Then you don't have to worry about players overalls being higher or lower then anothers.
This way you can compare and use players depending on what there good at by their attributes.
This would fix the things like OLBs in a 34 defense being extremely overrated as a 43 DE.
This would also make more since at the RB positions for teams that use a power back and a speed back.
Also the three DLineman in a 34 Defense are all DTs by how they play but when u run a 34 on madden. The DEs are overrated as DTs.
I just think removing the overalls would make more since making it so you can decide the type of player at each position. And also not having players having overrated attributes so they have an appropriate overall at a certain position.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: An idea about removing overalls in the future

Why do you have to worry about overall numbers now if you don't want to? I see nothing wrong with overall ratings, but they def. should base the overall more on the relevant ratings, ie a QB's overall should not be affected by his kick power rating.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
Rookie

jimmyy201's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Why do you have to worry about overall numbers now if you don't want to? I see nothing wrong with overall ratings, but they def. should base the overall more on the relevant ratings, ie a QB's overall should not be affected by his kick power rating.
What I'm talking about is more for the front 7 of the defense.
Ex. OLBs suggs, kampman, ayers, gohlsten, english, dumervill, Harrison, woodley, adalius Thomas, orakpa and a few others become elite when moving them to DE in a 43 defense. Most become 85+ some 95+. Some of the guys are understandable but others should not be that highly rated.
Also the DEs in a 34 go up nearly 8 overall when u move them to DT.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 5

If u want to make roster moves based on a specific ability ranking then just pay attention to that. Ability. You haven't made an argument to remove the overall ranking. You've only argued why it can be ignored in cerain situations.
The overall ranking is useful to a degree if I have 2 CBs one a 89 and the other a 66 its obvious who should start. Without having to look at all the individual skill rankings. Why would u want to remove that ability?
I remember I used to sub in a fast CB to return kicks. His ranking would be like 33 as KR but that was because he had bad carry stats and BTK stats. At the same time having 90+ I speed, agility, and ACC. His punting ability was not a part of that calculation. Nor does peyton mannings low punting ability affect his 99 overall ranking
Old 11-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 16

yeh this sounds like a good idea. It would depend on how they did it tho. Like English has a 87? finesse move because hes a olb pass rusher but there is guys who are a lot better then him at DE with lower ratings. So instead of basing there ratings on the position they play they would have to base it on every position.

Ovr ratings dont matter anyways right now so i am 100% for this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 5

Last edited by marcus82; 11-18-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #7
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

I dont think overall ratings mean much anyway..sometimes a punter goes in as an o-lineman and he blocks all-pro DE like a Hall of Fame Tackle....But if ratings really mattered it wouldnt be a bad idea
Old 11-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 10

Removing the overall rating is a good idea. In reality, there's nothing that says one player is a better overall player than another. It's about an array of abilities; whether you're talking about speed, strength, catching, man coverage or whatever else.

In my opinion, the overall ratings isn't the only rating that needs to be removed. Strength, Elusiveness & Trucking aren't really neccessary either.

Why is strength needed ? Take a FB for an example; strength would effect breaking tackles and blocking. We already have a trucking rating for breaking tackles, and a run blocking strength rating which would determine how powerful the FB is at run blocking. What's the need in having both ?

Why do we need a break tackle rating and a trucking rating ? One of them is enough. Break tackle rating should cover lowering your shoulder and running over players(trucking) and running through tackles or breaking out of tackles and vice versa.

Why do we need an agility rating ? There's already an elusiveness rating, a spin move rating, and a finesse move rating (for Dlineman).

There are alot of ratings that seem to serve the same purpose. This could be why it's hard to tell the difference between the elite and average players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »