Home

expansion draft exposed players

This is a discussion on expansion draft exposed players within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2009, 03:48 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
expansion draft exposed players

Im gauging interest in starting a post by members of OS interested in doing an "expansion draft" with a created team. We would make a list of all the 32 teams 5-6 players that would probably be exposed in an expansion draft... Below is a copied post of someones way of doing it all pretty realistically but I didnt know if there was enough interest if it was made easy enough to do.

"This is a great thread and I am glad I'm not the only one who does this. My formula may be a little complex but it is fairly realistic and will give you a good challenge running an expansion team.

1. Wait for the first roster update of the regular season (usually comes about a week or two after the first game)

2. Replace one of the three teams with the worst record from the previous season (this year I will replace KC, MIA, or STL).

3. For the draft, you have to select the guys you want BEFORE you do the create a team portion. These come from the dispersal draft (#4), entry draft (#5), and expansion draft (#6).

4. For me, I allow myself to pick any one player from the team I am replacing. All others will be released to free agency in a later step except for the draft picks. This replicates how a dispersal draft would probably happen if a team folds. Being the new team, picking first is most likely.

5. To replicate that an expansion team will get the first pick in every round of the entry draft (like Houston did in 2002), I select one player from each actual round of the draft. I then trade the replaced team's pick to the team I took the pick from. So, if I replace KC and in round one I decide to take Michael Crabtree in the first round, I would send Tyson Jackson to the 49ers. If the pick is not on the team, move him from free agency. If he is not in the game at all, pick a similar player from the free agency pool or re-create him.

6. Next I rank all teams by rating and allow myself to fill my roster with anyone in the bottom 5 of ratings who is not a rookie from each team. So, if a team has two rookies in the bottom five then I could select from the last seven.

7. Next, and MOST IMPORTANT, transfer all the players you will pick to the team you will replace. This will ensure there are no duplicate players in the league once you replace that team. Because of position restrictions, this may take some time as you can only sign and release so many players. But the time is worth it, especially if you play a few seasons of franchise.

8. Create your team and move the players to your team that you already selected.

9. Start the season. Do not select any of the players from the replaced team until week two of the season. This will give other teams a fair chance to sign them. With a dispersal draft, most of the good players would be gone so this replicates that."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
Pro

masterkembo's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: expansion draft exposed players

I am definitly interested in doing an expansion draft by following those steps.

I'm curious about who you would move and to where, and if you're building a team from scratch, which player are you picking 1st in the draft?

I would move the lions to Toronto which means I get to play in 1 of my favorite divisions.

I would keep either Calvin Johnson or maybe Ernie Sims off of their roster.

My 1st round pick would be either J. Smith, BJ Raji (at DT) or A. Curry depending on how I want to build my team and my 2nd pick would probably be R. Maualuga, or E. Brown maybe.

Would definitly be a fun exercise though, but I imagine that it would take a few years to build a competetive team!
Old 09-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Rookie

i want it to take 3-5 to be a real contender for division champ. Masterkembo- Your idea of det to tor sounds good but i dont wanna move to canade myself, they have their own league. Im not sure who id keep but the 2 for detroit you mentioned sound good and you would have 1st pick from dispersion draft so it makes sense. Im actually about to start all of this in like 5 mins.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
Rookie

After some research....Jax, buff, det or stL should be moved/replaced due to tix sales, blackouts, recent move talk, teams finances and bad market area. So....Im gonna move one of those 4 teams to either Alaska or L.V. which arent on top list of move locations IRL but i really dont think CA or TX needs another team and 3 of those 4 would pull the worst team out of their respective states.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

txfalcon, I'm still a little unclear on when in the franchise setup process you should perform each of the steps you listed. Would you mind expanding the explanation a little.

Also, this sounds like a fun challenge for a franchise. From what I've read, Los Angeles, San Antonio, Toronto, Las Vegas and potentially Sacromento would be likely locations for an expansion team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Here is a list I made a couple months ago trying my best to follow the rules from the 2002 Texans expansion. The list includes, aging vets, overpaid players, underachieving players, etc. Also guys that were released at the end of last year(Larry Foote, Duece McCallister, Roy Williams) because I figured that they would have put them in their exposed player list. I'm sure there are guys on the list that probably wouldn't be in real life so feel free to edit it as you like. Hope this helps.

exposed players.txt
Old 09-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

Here's the wikipedia entry for the 2002 expansion draft:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_NFL_Expansion_Draft

The Texans were required to claim 30 players OR 38% of cap value in contracts.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #8
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

Yeah, this sounds like a really fun idea, something to do in a just for kicks franchise. I'm moving the Rams closer to the west coast if I do this... maybe Las Vegas (even though they probably couldn't support an NFL team).

In any case, it would be fun to do this and start from scratch. I don't know who I would pick, but I would want to create a defensive team that keeps the score low. Sounds like fun...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »