Home

Realistic Mistakes

This is a discussion on Realistic Mistakes within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do You want Realistic Mistakes?
Realistic Mistakes (As long as they aren't overdone) 79 92.94%
That level of Realism would take away from the fun 2 2.35%
Not Sure 4 4.71%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #17
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Realistic Mistakes

I would love it, but only if it was at a realistic rate. And when companies add these types of things to games, they want to show them off, so they always end up being way overdone intentionally or otherwise.

So in a perfect world (no pun intended), yes, it would be great to have these kinds of things. In the real world, I'd probably say stay away from adding this kind of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 11-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #18
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
95% of the party/contest/tourney people maybe, but not 95% of all Madden consumers. But heaven forbid we upset our casual tourney players.
Welcome to the joy of exclusivity.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #19
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I disagree to a point.

If you have JaMarcus Russell or Pat White, no amount of "stick skills" should make that QB a solid QB as a passer. It might make them be average (60% completion), with a LOT of effort (i.e. perfect sticks/button timing), but it shouldn't be solely dependent on the user, imo.

Otherwise, ratings are then useless to the player you are controlling, and aren't we wanting Madden to incorporate ratings more...not less...in it's gameplay?

I mean, if you can "stick skill" Russell to be P. Manning, why have Manning? Or Brady? What would be the point?

Same for a HB - if you can take some average HB and stick skill him to be like AP, why bother having Peterson?

Or you get it to where stick skills make Peterson unstoppable because they have to make everyone better...

I think ratings should have the most impact in success and failure. That's what they are supposed to be there for.
We definitely disagree. If he's not as good a QB, then it should be harder to throw with him. Random bad passes isn't realistic for a user under a player's control. APF2K8 did an extremely good job differentiating between QBs. Madden has done a fairly good job, unfortunately it's still utilizing the same old horrible passing mechanics... but that's another thread in and of itself.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #20

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

I have always wanted realistic mistakes.

Bad snaps, fumbled holds, wr's slipping while wide open.

It would have to be properly done AND it would absolutely HAVE to be an option because there is no chance it is something everyone would want.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 1

I agree with the poster that mentioned it should be tied in with ratings. I think blown coverages should be fairly prevelant for low rated awareness CB's and Safeties, as should blown routes by WR's. I think the use of the ratings system could build in some of the "mistakes" that you see on Sunday afternoon.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2009, 08:49 PM   #22
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

absofreakinlutley. this was one of the little things that made APF2k8 so great. the occasional slip in the rain the Qb's ocasional trip over a linemans feet on a drop back, an occasional snap over the head. they happened, but not at an astounding rate. if anything the could afford to be a little more frequent in APF. the best was when a kicker would slip in bad weather and fall right on his ***. This stuff is NEEDED in madden.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:10 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 4

I would love it, but not at its expense. We would probably get a game (Madden 11) with tons of mistakes every game, and everyone would complain until a patch comes out. I'd rather they work on it for a couple years, and then put it in. If I have to wait until Madden 12 or even 13 to get a truly amazing gameplay experience without the need for patches, then I'm all for it.

I wonder what the developers schedule is for working on the newest Madden game. When Madden is released in August, when do they begin work on the next? IMO they should start on the next edition immediately following the completion of the current game. This is one of those businesses where developers can't really afford to take more than a week off
Old 11-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
We definitely disagree. If he's not as good a QB, then it should be harder to throw with him. Random bad passes isn't realistic for a user under a player's control.
Neither is the user being able to take a bad QB and having him play like Tom Brady.

It's totally silly someone could make a guy like Josh Johnson into Brady if they are good enough with the sticks.

What's the point of having good players if someone who's good with the sticks can turn anyone into a superstar?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »