Home

Old 11-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #73
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
All your numbers do is support what the majority is saying: Other online games have become more popular (ever heard of Modern Warfare?), and sports games don't have the same pull they did before. And don't give me the "but Madden 09 sucked and even it was in the top 10!" argument. The other genres are showing a steady INCLINE in popularity, so it only makes sense to see sports titles steadily DECLINING. Hence, this year it's not as high up as last, which wasn't as high as the year before.

The video game industry is reaching a much larger audience now, and as such, games other than just the sports titles are becoming more and more popular.

ODogg is right, Madden is just fine.
Um... i think the suits at EA and their shareholders would STRONGLY disagree with you.

Again people, you have to separate your like or dislike for the game and look at facts. Sales are down. Expenses are up. Just the facts. Madden is far from fine.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #74
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I'm not sure what direction this is headed in. I can't recall the last time I put Madden in. I'm waiting just like everyone else wiating for patch #2.

I'm playing more hoops games and our son is racking up the MW2 playing time.

Also, I'm sure it will spike up after the patch is released and after the holidays if mom and dad purchase their children Madden for Xmas.
Whoa, whoa, whoa! I can't believe what I am hearing. You were one of Madden's biggest supporters. Now you have not played in forever and you are waiting on the patch? What happened?

I'm not trying to flame you, honestly. We have had many civil discussions and I hope that you realize that I don't mean this in a negative or adversarial way. I am genuinely curious what has made you change so drastically from it being a great game to it being a game that isn't worth playing until they patch it.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:03 PM   #75
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Whoa, whoa, whoa! I can't believe what I am hearing. You were one of Madden's biggest supporters. Now you have not played in forever and you are waiting on the patch? What happened?

I'm not trying to flame you, honestly. We have had many civil discussions and I hope that you realize that I don't mean this in a negative or adversarial way. I am genuinely curious what has made you change so drastically from it being a great game to it being a game that isn't worth playing until they patch it.
The answer is simple and I think I stated this previously in this thread. 2k10 basketball after their patch is a great game.

I also made a post somewhere in this forum that I've made a conscious decision not to mess with sliders with yearly cycled sports games. Previously, I've been a gamer that monkey's with sliders for 3-4 months just to get the stats to avg close to life. I'm taking a more laid back approach like I did when I was a kid when our friends gathered around for Electric Football, Photo-Electric Football and Talking Football and played for hours on end and didn't worry about a punter lining up at the OL, or screens passes being too effective. By the time I have the sliders where I want them, I only am allowed to play a season before the next sport game comes out.

Why should I waste my time and efforts in developing sliders for myself when there is a patch that will drop any day that will effect those slider changes?

This way, I'll spend a few weeks with tweaking sliders and go back to my youth and have some more fun with games and take them as they are(with enhanced patches), not for what they could be.

Father time is creeping up on me.

I'm not asking anyone to jump on my bandwagon because we do need realism in the games and the people should continue to discuss in what they believe in. Maybe at a later time period down the road, people will hop onto the train I'm riding.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #76
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
The answer is simple and I think I stated this previously in this thread. 2k10 basketball after their patch is a great game.

I also made a post somewhere in this forum that I've made a conscious decision not to mess with sliders with yearly cycled sports games. Previously, I've been a gamer that monkey's with sliders for 3-4 months just to get the stats to avg close to life. I'm taking a more laid back approach like I did when I was a kid when our friends gathered around for Electric Football, Photo-Electric Football and Talking Football and played for hours on end and didn't worry about a punter lining up at the OL, or screens passes being too effective. By the time I have the sliders where I want them, I only am allowed to play a season before the next sport game comes out.

Why should I waste my time and efforts in developing sliders for myself when there is a patch that will drop any day that will effect those slider changes?

This way, I'll spend a few weeks with tweaking sliders and go back to my youth and have some more fun with games and take them as they are(with enhanced patches), not for what they could be.

Father time is creeping up on me.

I'm not asking anyone to jump on my bandwagon because we do need realism in the games and the people should continue to discuss in what they believe in. Maybe at a later time period down the road, people will hop onto the train I'm riding.
I understand what you are saying. I don't know why anyone would ever settle for having to tweak sliders for months to just get a game to play a sim brand of Football, when the game is supposed to be sim, by the manufacturer's claims, in the first place. That, in my opinion, is, and always has been, unacceptable.

I don't want to derail the thread though.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #77
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. I don't know why anyone would ever settle for having to tweak sliders for months to just get a game to play a sim brand of Football, when the game is supposed to be sim, by the manufacturer's claims, in the first place. That, in my opinion, is, and always has been, unacceptable.

I don't want to derail the thread though.
I've been doing it that way for the past decade and no sport game comes out of the box sim(statswise) in my opinion.

Last edited by roadman; 11-19-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #78
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Only1LT - i think maddden being in "trouble" is a bit of a stretch. Instead of making crazy money it's only making good money. Yes i'm sure that the shareholders want it to do better, no question. But it's not going to because it faces stiffer competition now. Madden could be the best game ever of football and a ton of consumers will still just view it as "another football game".

Now I will say that it was dumb for EA to do that exclusive deal considering what they paid. They simply should let it expire and voila, profits are way back up again. Especially since no one but the hardcore OSers would be interested in any competition at this point.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #79
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Only1LT - i think maddden being in "trouble" is a bit of a stretch. Instead of making crazy money it's only making good money. Yes i'm sure that the shareholders want it to do better, no question. But it's not going to because it faces stiffer competition now. Madden could be the best game ever of football and a ton of consumers will still just view it as "another football game".

Now I will say that it was dumb for EA to do that exclusive deal considering what they paid. They simply should let it expire and voila, profits are way back up again. Especially since no one but the hardcore OSers would be interested in any competition at this point.
I don't think that saying it is in trouble is a stretch at all from a profitability standpoint. Again, I am not saying that Tiburon is about to close down or that this is the last Madden that will ever be made, just that financially, when you look at all factors. it's in trouble lol. Symantics of what you or I consider trouble to mean or what severity an individual places on the word "trouble".

And by letting the exclusive deal expire will not make profits go back up like magic. Look at the number of sales in 2005 and the numbers since. In order for profits to go back up, they would need to at least match the sales that they were making, before they entered into the exclusive deal. What would be the catalyst that would make that happen? If sales are declining with no competition, why would they go up WITH competition?

Again, Madden is in "trouble" lol.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #80
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
I don't think that saying it is in trouble is a stretch at all from a profitability standpoint. Again, I am not saying that Tiburon is about to close down or that this is the last Madden that will ever be made, just that financially, when you look at all factors. it's in trouble lol. Symantics of what you or I consider trouble to mean or what severity an individual places on the word "trouble".

And by letting the exclusive deal expire will not make profits go back up like magic. Look at the number of sales in 2005 and the numbers since. In order for profits to go back up, they would need to at least match the sales that they were making, before they entered into the exclusive deal. What would be the catalyst that would make that happen? If sales are declining with no competition, why would they go up WITH competition?

Again, Madden is in "trouble" lol.

If you are going to compare last gen in 2004 to now, you also gotta factor in that there were a lot more PS2's being sold compared to the number of 360's and PS3's being sold now. So yeah there's a lot of things to put into account instead of just "oh people are getting tired of Madden" .

While I'm pretty sure that EA wants Madden to do better I really wouldn't say that the game is in trouble at all. The game is still selling well. I remember reading just a few weeks ago that sales of the 360 and PS3 version were up 5% compared to Madden 09 for the 360/PS3 in the same time period.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »