Home
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #81
Hall Of Fame
 
ODogg's Arena
 
OVR: 51
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 36,041
Blog Entries: 8
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Well if Madden makes as much of a leap from Madden 09 to Madden 10 for Madden 10 to Madden 11 then we should see sales go up if the public is after quality. Honestly though I don't think the quality of Madden is the issue, if it was then why would the crappier editions of Madden in the past sold as much as they did. I think it's because now there are so many other great games that people are just cutting back on these yearly games. I really don't see how EA can overcome that other than cutting the exclusive deal and cutting back costs on the game while trying to improve quality and hoping for the best.
ODogg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #82
MVP
 
Only1LT's Arena
 
OVR: 16
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
If you are going to compare last gen in 2004 to now, you also gotta factor in that there were a lot more PS2's being sold compared to the number of 360's and PS3's being sold now. So yeah there's a lot of things to put into account instead of just "oh people are getting tired of Madden" .

While I'm pretty sure that EA wants Madden to do better I really wouldn't say that the game is in trouble at all. The game is still selling well. I remember reading just a few weeks ago that sales of the 360 and PS3 version were up 5% compared to Madden 09 for the 360/PS3 in the same time period.
It was 3% not 5 and the numbers on the last gen games are down so it makes no difference.

You're making a different argument. Yes the install base of the PS2 is higher than the current gen systems combined, but that has nothing to do with EA's bottom line. It might make you feel better to say that because there are less current gen systems than last gen systems, so it would follow that they would sell less copies, that still does not help to limit EA's loss. They are still spending more than ever to make a game that generates less revenue. This is the epitome of trouble folks lol.

And btw. Although there are less current gen systems than PS2s (by current gen I mean PS3/XBOX 360, as those are the only systems that EA has commented on sales wise) they do still make the PS2 version. So in actuality, the opportunity to sell more copies is greater now than ever (adding the install base of the PS2, PS3,360, Wii, and PSP) and the numbers are still down lol. How can anyone say that this is not, at least, a somewhat bad sign?
Only1LT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #83
MVP
 
Only1LT's Arena
 
OVR: 16
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Well if Madden makes as much of a leap from Madden 09 to Madden 10 for Madden 10 to Madden 11 then we should see sales go up if the public is after quality. Honestly though I don't think the quality of Madden is the issue, if it was then why would the crappier editions of Madden in the past sold as much as they did. I think it's because now there are so many other great games that people are just cutting back on these yearly games. I really don't see how EA can overcome that other than cutting the exclusive deal and cutting back costs on the game while trying to improve quality and hoping for the best.
Look, neither of us can take the temperature of the Football gamer en masse and say that this is the reason, or that is the reason that the numbers are down, but I think that you aren't being realistic if you don't think that there is at least a decent chance that the decline in numbers can be attributed to a loss in popularity.

And anyway that you slice it, if the same people that bought Madden are now not buying it, and are instead, buying other titles, then that is as basic an example of loss of popularity as there is.
Only1LT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #84
MVP
 
Bgamer90's Arena
 
OVR: 26
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
It was 3% not 5 and the numbers on the last gen games are down so it makes no difference.
Of course the number of last gen sold copies are down... they always go down as the newer systems get older. Same was the case with the PS1. As the ps2 got older, the ps1 versions of Madden (can't count in the years after 2003 that the PS2 was still considered as current gen though since Madden 04 was the last PS1 Madden) went down in sales compared to their previous versions. So yeah, it's really nothing new at all.


Quote:
You're making a different argument. Yes the install base of the PS2 is higher than the current gen systems combined, but that has nothing to do with EA's bottom line. It might make you feel better to say that because there are less current gen systems than last gen systems, so it would follow that they would sell less copies, that still does not help to limit EA's loss. They are still spending more than ever to make a game that generates less revenue. This is the epitome of trouble folks lol.
They are still making a profit though... maybe not as big as before but they are still doing better than a lot of other companies.

Quote:
And btw. Although there are less current gen systems than PS2s (by current gen I mean PS3/XBOX 360, as those are the only systems that EA has commented on sales wise) they do still make the PS2 version. So in actuality, the opportunity to sell more copies is greater now than ever (adding the install base of the PS2, PS3,360, Wii, and PSP) and the numbers are still down lol. How can anyone say that this is not, at least, a somewhat bad sign?
Look at what I said above about the PS1 versions of madden.
__________________
Bgamer90 on twitter

Last edited by Bgamer90; 11-19-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Bgamer90 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #85
MVP
 
OVR: 8
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

How exactly is a game that sold nearly 4 million copies this year in trouble? Sales are down -- last year was 4.5 million according to EA -- but that's still a lot of copies sold. They've taken a market share hit and the profitability has surely decreased, but they're probably still making a decent profit on Madden, even with the license fees.

Not really trying to defend Madden here, but people act like the series is on its last legs, and that's just not the case. If that downward trend continues for a couple years, yes, it might mean problems. But it's hard to gauge the significance of this year's decline given the economy. We probably won't know the real economic health of the franchise until Madden 11 comes out.
Brando70 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #86
Hall Of Fame
 
ODogg's Arena
 
OVR: 51
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 36,041
Blog Entries: 8
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Brando - i think people are trying to convince themselves that something has got to change and EA sees this and I don't think that is the case at all. If anything what EA will do to "fix" the situation is going to be things that these very people will detest (trying to appeal to a larger audience by decreasing realism for example)
ODogg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #87
*ll St*r
 
roadman's Arena
 
OVR: 34
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 25,527
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando70
How exactly is a game that sold nearly 4 million copies this year in trouble? Sales are down -- last year was 4.5 million according to EA -- but that's still a lot of copies sold. They've taken a market share hit and the profitability has surely decreased, but they're probably still making a decent profit on Madden, even with the license fees.

Not really trying to defend Madden here, but people act like the series is on its last legs, and that's just not the case. If that downward trend continues for a couple years, yes, it might mean problems. But it's hard to gauge the significance of this year's decline given the economy. We probably won't know the real economic health of the franchise until Madden 11 comes out.
Actually,some people cheer whenever there is news that Madden is declining in sales. They feel that each year if Madden declines in sales, EA will give up the license in 2012.
roadman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #88
MVP
 
Only1LT's Arena
 
OVR: 16
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
Of course the number of last gen sold copies are down... they always go down as the newer systems get older. Same was the case with the PS1. As the ps2 got older, the ps1 versions of Madden (can't count in the years after 2003 that the PS2 was still considered as current gen though since Madden 04 was the last PS1 Madden) went down in sales compared to their previous versions. So yeah, it's really nothing new at all.


They are still making a profit though... maybe not as big as before but they are still doing better than a lot of other companies.

Look at what I said above about the PS1 versions of madden.
I don't know why we are not understanding each other on such a simple point. If the % of increase on current gen is less than the % decrease on last gen, which it is, then the overall effect is a % decrease in sales. You are trying to make it seem like it's a wash, when it's not. It's a decline overall.

How do you know that they are making a profit? I have not seen anything from EA that says that they are or aren't. It is entirely possible that after you factor in the prorated value of the license, development costs, and advertising/ promotions, that they are not making a profit at all. I am not saying this is the case or isn't the case, just that you can't say that they are or aren't without knowing the dollar amount spent to produce, license, and market the game. and even if you had those numbers, you would still need to know the total amount of sales, which EA has not provided, other than to say that it is up 3% on current gen systems compared to last year. Call me pessimistic, but the fact that they only mentioned the sales of current gen as opposed to overall sales, is a clear indication of spin to hide the fact that overall sales are still down, even with that 3% increase on current gen.

You are still missing the point of an argument that you brought up. The install base of gaming platforms OVERALL has increased, therefore the fact that the sales of Madden is not increasing is a bad sign.

If MS came out with the 720 next year and the install base of that system is 10million by the time COD MW 3 comes out. And the install base of both the PS3 and the 360 increase during that time. If I were to tell you that the total sales of MW3 on PS3, 360, and the 720 were LESS than the total sales of MW 2 on just the PS3 and the 360, when the install base of the PS3 and the 360 was smaller, would that not be an indication that MW3 is not as successful as MW2? If that trend continued for the subsequent release of MW4 and 5 and 6 and the numbers kept going down as the install base increased, would that not be a sign that the franchise is in trouble?

That's exactly what has happened to Madden. This isn't rocket science.
Only1LT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:34 PM.

Top -