Home
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #105
MVP
 
Only1LT's Arena
 
OVR: 16
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Those numbers are probably accurate but don't tell the whole story either. You have to account for many football gamers like me who purchased both football titles. Especially when one was dirt cheap by video game standards.
That's true. I was one of those that bought both, but I think that we can agree that there are is the potential to sell at least 6mil plus judging by those numbers if they just kept customers. Forget adding new ones. But in reality they have sold a little over half of what they sold before they had to pay for the license. What does that mean it? It means that they not only lost customers, but that they failed to procure enough new ones to offset those losses, and at the same time, had their cost for producing the title go up dramatically.

Can any econ majors out there say trouble lol?
Only1LT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #106
*ll St*r
 
roadman's Arena
 
OVR: 34
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 25,527
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
If Madden was only doing poorly on the internet, then the sales in the real world would not be declining. We have to face facts. Madden is not "just fine" in any world.

At a time when there are more gamers, thanks to the wii, and more people not ashamed to even admit that they are gamers lol, than EVER before, why would a franchise that is a household name be on the decline with so many more potential customers than ever before? How can that not be looked at as an indictment of this franchises popularity?

And before anyone says that there are more games now to choose from than before, stop! New IP's come and old one's go all the time.

You can't tell me that out of all the new "casual gamers" out there now, that none of them is would have any interest in a Madden game. If everyone who has loved Madden, bought Madden, and you got even .001% of the new gamers to buy it, the sales would be up. But they are not. They are down.

What else can be gleaned from this other than that some of the people that used to buy Madden, are not buying it anymore, and that there are not enough newcomers to offset this? This points directly to popularity, regardless of whether 10 is actually a better game than 09 or not, which in my opinion it is. Again this has nothing to do with the game itself, just the bottom line. Not to sound like a broken record, but how is this not a bad sign?
As I stated before, which you refuse to believe, is over saturation of the gaming market. If you can't see that, then there is no use to carry on.

By the way, I didn't mention, yet, welcome back.

Welcome back.

Last edited by roadman; 11-19-2009 at 05:35 PM.
roadman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #107
*ll St*r
 
roadman's Arena
 
OVR: 34
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 25,527
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I'm not cheering for a company to go out of business by any means, I want madden to stick around and see other titles jump in (2k, backbreaker) just like in the early part of the decade. If what is hear is correct, $400 million goes to the license. EA could continue to make a very proftable product on their name alone if they went the cheaper general license route they used to.
I would think it would be difficult for a 2k or any other manufacturer to jump in and make a good game off the bat. That would make companies cautious to go up against the big giant, I would think.
roadman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #108
MVP
 
Only1LT's Arena
 
OVR: 16
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Well sure, there are many factors that lead a company to lose in sales. One of the major factors is the over saturation of the gaming market. I think you would like to hang your hat on that the quality is declining, but I couldn't agree with that because in my opinion, 10 is much better than 9. By the way, the over saturation comment came from an ex-EA employee that posts here.(not from Madden)
There in lies the rub lol. I have never said anything about quality. To the contrary, I have implored people to take their personal likes or dislikes of the game out of the equation.

I have not said, nor do I think that the decline in sales is attributed to quality per se. Although that is subjective. I am just saying that the decline in sales is:

A) A bad omen and...
B) That it is directly attributable to the franchises popularity which is irrespective of the quality of a given product in the franchise.

It probably has more to do with being burned by past titles and not giving the newer ones a chance, because of past experience, even if the newer ones are better.

I think we are seeing the George Bush effect. Fool me once and all that lol.
Only1LT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #109
*ll St*r
 
roadman's Arena
 
OVR: 34
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 25,527
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
There in lies the rub lol. I have never said anything about quality. To the contrary, I have implored people to take their personal likes or dislikes of the game out of the equation.

I have not said, nor do I think that the decline in sales is attributed to quality per se. Although that is subjective. I am just saying that the decline in sales is:

A) A bad omen and...
B) That it is directly attributable to the franchises popularity which is irrespective of the quality of a given product in the franchise.

It probably has more to do with being burned by past titles and not giving the newer ones a chance, because of past experience, even if the newer ones are better.

I think we are seeing the George Bush effect. Fool me once and all that lol.
Ah ok, I just never equated you to a person that likes Madden. I stand corrected on the quality issue.

I don't think it's as bad as you portray it.(yes, I said it again) I think Ian has said Madden is EA's cash cow, even though it might be a less of a cash cow now then in the past.

We can go back to what smart companies do when sales decline, but we've already been through that. Based on the cutting of 1500 and probably other cutbacks we don't know about, Madden will be fine.(yes, I said it again)
roadman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #110
MVP
 
Only1LT's Arena
 
OVR: 16
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
As I stated before, which you refuse to believe, is over saturation of the gaming market. If you can't see that, then there is no use to carry on.

By the way, I didn't mention, yet, welcome back.

Welcome back.
I don't know what you mean by over saturation of the gaming market. Do you mean that there are more games now than ever before and therefore the consumer's focus is split and that is causing Madden's sales to decline, or do you mean that there are more casual gamers that have no interest in Madden?

In either scenario, that would not make a case. I don't think that the total number of games released each year has increased. I would be willing to wager that it has decreased slightly due to the much higher costs for making current gen titles. That does does two things. Small companies have a harder time breaking into the market for one, and large one's don't take chances on as many new IP's that have no track record as they used to.

If you are talking about too many gamers, that holds no weight either. The larger the gaming audience, the more potential customers you have. Numbers should be up with all these new gamers, or at least remain constant, but certainly not declining.

If you meant something else by over saturation of the gaming market, please explain.

And thanks for having me back lol.
Only1LT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #111
MVP
 
Only1LT's Arena
 
OVR: 16
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Ah ok, I just never equated you to a person that likes Madden. I stand corrected on the quality issue.

I don't think it's as bad as you portray it.(yes, I said it again) I think Ian has said Madden is EA's cash cow, even though it might be a less of a cash cow now then in the past.

We can go back to what smart companies do when sales decline, but we've already been through that. Based on the cutting of 1500 and probably other cutbacks we don't know about, Madden will be fine.(yes, I said it again)
I don't know how you would get the idea that I am someone that doesn't like Madden. I've only owned every single one lol. I am at my breaking point with the franchise though to the point that I have not played 10 since I don't know when. The potential for a Football game itch that needs scratching at some point is the only thing that has prevented my trading it in thus far. Probably stupid on my part, but such is the mentality of a Football gamer that buys the same title year after year anyway lol. But I digress.

Here's the thing. If Madden was just fine as you say, then there would not be the necessity to cut all those jobs, would there be? Unless if you think that every EA IP EXCEPT Madden, is the cause for jobs being lost and doors being closed. I am not saying it is all Madden's fault, but as it's cash cow as you have admitted, how can it not be at least one of the chief suspects?
Only1LT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2009, 06:03 PM   #112
MVP
 
Tyrant8RDFL's Arena
 
OVR: 20
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Queens New York
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
there are a lot of great games out now, madden being low on that list is not because of madden's lack of quality, but because there are a lot of other quality titles that are more recent.

honestly i don't understand how you guys can dog on madden so much considering this is the best madden in a long, long time. actually, in my opinion it's the best madden period. i understand it has some issues but i think you guys are too obsessed with finding a perfect football game and it's never going to happen.
Honestly I dont understand how you dont see this Madden being a problem. Yes your right it is the best Madden in the NEXT GEN ERA, but the Madden's behind it were so bad that being the best from that list does not say much. Madden 10 was simply a let down for so many, and only a small few see it your way.

The other argument was the economy, which was so far from the truth. Those that supported madden would use the bad economy for a reason as to why Madden didnt sell well, and many like myself did not agree.

Now MW2 drops and breaks not only video game record sales, but entainment record sales.
MW2 made 550 million in 7 days. This is insane, and X-Mas shopping didn't even start.

When it comes to video game. The economy will not have as strong of a effect on sales like in other areas. Gamers will find a way to get the game. Remember you can trade in other games to get a game, so there are plenty of options. Options that many did not want to utilize with Madden.

Madden has been so bad that those like me have become acustom to the fact of not having a football game to play anymore. We are cool with playing solid shooters , and other solid sport titles. This is the 1st year where I have not played a NFL game for a whole season.

Madden 11 has to be so awesome next year, becuase they lost a ton of fans.

Lets be honest already they have a huge mountain to climb. Hopefully they can pull it off, cause I would really like to play a solid football game again.
Tyrant8RDFL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:51 PM.

Top -