Home
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009, 06:10 PM   #113
MVP
 
Bgamer90's Arena
 
OVR: 26
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Call me pessimistic, but the fact that they only mentioned the sales of current gen as opposed to overall sales, is a clear indication of spin to hide the fact that overall sales are still down, even with that 3% increase on current gen.

You are still missing the point of an argument that you brought up. The install base of gaming platforms OVERALL has increased, therefore the fact that the sales of Madden is not increasing is a bad sign.
The thing is though that you are acting like this is the first time in which this has happened for Madden... the first time in which Madden sales decreased on an older console as the number of the people that have the console grew when it's not. That's why I'm not getting how you guys are making this out to be a sign that Madden is in trouble since if that was the case then Madden would have always been in trouble since like I said, the PS1 versions of Madden sold less and less after the PS2 was released even though the PS1 still got sales.

Since this was the case, would you say that Madden was in trouble back during the early days of the PS2 since the sales of the PS1 versions of Madden were down?



Quote:
If I were to tell you that the total sales of MW3 on PS3, 360, and the 720 were LESS than the total sales of MW 2 on just the PS3 and the 360, when the install base of the PS3 and the 360 was smaller, would that not be an indication that MW3 is not as successful as MW2?
(Read what I said above)

Quote:
If that trend continued for the subsequent release of MW4 and 5 and 6 and the numbers kept going down as the install base increased, would that not be a sign that the franchise is in trouble?

That's exactly what has happened to Madden. This isn't rocket science.
If the trend was like how it was in previous gens, the sales of the 360 and PS3 versions will pick up more and more as the years go by. I really doubt that they will ever be as high as the PS2 though since for that to happen the 360 and PS3 would have to get Wii type of numbers and that should be taken into account as well (and not just "people hate Madden").


It isn't rocket science but again, like I said many times before, this trend isn't new since the same was the case with the PS1 Maddens after the PS2 was released and that's all that I'm saying.

How can this be a sign of Madden being in big trouble when basically the same thing happened last gen?

Anyways, you are right in terms of me not knowing exactly how much profit they made. I would assume that they did make profit on the 360/PS3 versions since the game sold well on though not as much profit as before seeing as how iirc Ian said that Madden 10 had the biggest budget ever out of any Madden to date.
__________________
Bgamer90 on twitter

Last edited by Bgamer90; 11-19-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Bgamer90 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #114
*ll St*r
 
roadman's Arena
 
OVR: 34
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 25,527
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
I don't know what you mean by over saturation of the gaming market. Do you mean that there are more games now than ever before and therefore the consumer's focus is split and that is causing Madden's sales to decline, or do you mean that there are more casual gamers that have no interest in Madden?

In either scenario, that would not make a case. I don't think that the total number of games released each year has increased. I would be willing to wager that it has decreased slightly due to the much higher costs for making current gen titles. That does does two things. Small companies have a harder time breaking into the market for one, and large one's don't take chances on as many new IP's that have no track record as they used to.

If you are talking about too many gamers, that holds no weight either. The larger the gaming audience, the more potential customers you have. Numbers should be up with all these new gamers, or at least remain constant, but certainly not declining.

If you meant something else by over saturation of the gaming market, please explain.

And thanks for having me back lol.
Referring to your newer post, then I stand corrected , yet again. You seem to take the opposing view of people who support Madden in most threads, so, therefore the assumptions.

Now back to the over saturation comment. Don't you agree that games cost a lot of money to produce? Technology, salaries, overhead, marketing, etc.......and if prices for games only jumped $10.00 from last generation to NG, and cost continue to rise with a declining sales trend for 5 months straight, that's why EA as a whole, not just Madden, had to cut back and put more strength into game which bring a higher profit margin.

That's why I feel that sports games in particular have reached a saturation point. The cost of games is more expensive each year, retail prices stay the same and sales have become stale.

Ok, I think I've applied my Econ 101. That's enough for me.

Last edited by roadman; 11-19-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: darn Giant avatars. j/k
roadman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:26 PM   #115
MVP
 
Tyrant8RDFL's Arena
 
OVR: 20
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Queens New York
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
The thing is though that you are acting like this is the first time in which this has happened for Madden... the first time in which Madden sales decreased on an older console as the number of the people that have the console grew when it's not. That's why I'm not getting how you guys are making this out to be a sign that Madden is in trouble since if that was the case then Madden would have always been in trouble since like I said, the PS1 versions of Madden sold less and less after the PS2 was released even though the PS1 still got sales.

How can this be a sign of Madden being in big trouble when basically the same thing happened last gen?
I dont know if what your saying is true with madden sales from PS1 to PS2 declining. Proof would be needed.

Anyway when the boss of EA has a article stating that he is very upset on the fact that Madden 10 sales are low. I think that is a pretty good indication that things are bad.

I have made 2 predictions and all came true.

Madden 10 would not sell well. Posted in Aug 08
MW2 would break records in sales Posted in Apr 09

My next prediction. Madden 11 will not sell well at launch, but will improve come September/October.

I say this because my gut is telling me that 11 will be greatly improved, and it will take about a month to convince those that left the franchise time to believe.

This is coming from someone who has not bought a Madden in the next gen era period. I play the pc version of 08, but that flame has dwindled.

Anyways I'm hoping to be 3 for 3.

NBA Live got me back so why can't Madden.
Tyrant8RDFL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2009, 06:30 PM   #116
MVP
 
Bgamer90's Arena
 
OVR: 26
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL

Madden has been so bad that those like me have become acustom to the fact of not having a football game to play anymore. We are cool with playing solid shooters , and other solid sport titles. This is the 1st year where I have not played a NFL game for a whole season.

Madden 11 has to be so awesome next year, becuase they lost a ton of fans.
Really? Are you sure about that or are you just using these forums as a representation of that?

While Madden may have lost fans they have also gained fans as well as many people agree that it's the first Madden that's better than Madden 2005 overall. I have some people on my friends list that still play Madden 10 even though games like MW2 are "what's hot". Also, if people were cool with playing other sports titles so much then why didn't other sports titles make the LIVE activity list outside of Madden and FIFA? I remember hearing that NBA 2k10 had a 60% sales increase from 2k9. The 360 version of NBA 2k9 made the top of the sales charts this time last year. NBA 2k10 sold 60% more than that yet it wasn't shown in the LIVE activity top 10 chart for this month.

Is it really Madden on the decline or is it just sports gaming as a whole due to shooters gaining more and more buzz?
__________________
Bgamer90 on twitter
Bgamer90 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #117
MVP
 
Bgamer90's Arena
 
OVR: 26
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
I dont know if what your saying is true with madden sales from PS1 to PS2 declining. Proof would be needed.
The proof that the last PS1 verison of Madden was Madden 04 should in itself show that Madden on the PS1 wasn't selling well when the PS2 was the current gen console.

Quote:
Anyway when the boss of EA has a article stating that he is very upset on the fact that Madden 10 sales are low. I think that is a pretty good indication that things are bad.
I remember that... In August (which is when that news story about it came out) the 360 and PS3 versions were lower compared to Madden 09 but now that isn't the case. Also a part in that was due to the PS2 and Wii version dropping so much. I highly doubt that Madden 11 will come out for the PS2. Madden for the wii is more than likely also in the same risk. Many people that bought Madden for the ps2/xbox1 would rather play Madden for the 360/PS3 which is why it's no surprise to me the the sales for Madden on the wii are low. Heck... all sim sports games on the wii have low sales.

Quote:
I have made 2 predictions and all came true.

Madden 10 would not sell well. Posted in Aug 08
MW2 would break records in sales Posted in Apr 09

My next prediction. Madden 11 will not sell well at launch, but will improve come September/October.
Madden 10 has sold well so that prediction hasn't came true. I really don't see how one can say that. They might be down when you add up the sales across all platforms but they certainly aren't bad (well at least in terms of the 360/PS3 versions).

Quote:
I say this because my gut is telling me that 11 will be greatly improved, and it will take about a month to convince those that left the franchise time to believe.

This is coming from someone who has not bought a Madden in the next gen era period. I play the pc version of 08, but that flame has dwindled.

Anyways I'm hoping to be 3 for 3.

NBA Live got me back so why can't Madden.
Funny you mention NBA Live... NBA Live 10 sold horribly even though it improved a lot from Live 09. Live 10 didn't even crack the top 20 in sales.
__________________
Bgamer90 on twitter

Last edited by Bgamer90; 11-19-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Bgamer90 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #118
MVP
 
Only1LT's Arena
 
OVR: 16
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
The thing is though that you are acting like this is the first time in which this has happened for Madden... the first time in which Madden sales decreased on an older console as the number of the people that have the console grew when it's not. That's why I'm not getting how you guys are making this out to be a sign that Madden is in trouble since if that was the case then Madden would have always been in trouble since like I said, the PS1 versions of Madden sold less and less after the PS2 was released even though the PS1 still got sales.

Since this was the case, would you say that Madden was in trouble back during the early days of the PS2 since the sales of the PS1 versions of Madden were down?



(Read what I said above)

If the trend was like how it was in previous gens, the sales of the 360 and PS3 versions will pick up more and more as the years go by. I really doubt that they will ever be as high as the PS2 though since for that to happen the 360 and PS3 would have to get Wii type of numbers and that should be taken into account as well (and not just "people hate Madden").


It isn't rocket science but again, like I said many times before, this trend isn't new since the same was the case with the PS1 Maddens after the PS2 was released and that's all that I'm saying.

How can this be a sign of Madden being in big trouble when basically the same thing happened last gen?

Anyways, you are right in terms of me not knowing exactly how much profit they made. I would assume that they did make profit on the 360/PS3 versions since the game sold well on though not as much profit as before seeing as how iirc Ian said that Madden 10 had the biggest budget ever out of any Madden to date.
Wow! We are having real communication issues over something that should be very easy to communicate. Let me try one last time and see if we an get on the same page.

Madden selling 6mil plus copies in 2005 + high marketing costs + lower licensing fee = good.

Madden selling 3 mil plus copies in 2009 + high marketing costs + plus $500mil EXCLUSIVE licensing fee prorated over the life of the deal = trouble.

Is there anything that is not clear about what I am saying about that. Forget what has happened on ps1. Look at that and tell me that this is a good thing for EAs bottom line and I will ask you what you are smoking and can I have some lol.

Last edited by Only1LT; 11-19-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Only1LT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:48 PM   #119
*ll St*r
 
roadman's Arena
 
OVR: 34
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 25,527
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Wow! We are having real communication issues over something that should be very easy to communicate. Let me try one last time and see if we an get on the same page.

Madden selling 6mil plus copies in 2005 + high marketing costs + lower licensing fee = good.

Madden selling 3 mil plus copies in 2009 + high marketing costs + plus $500mil EXCLUSIVE licensing fee prorated over the life of the deal = trouble.

Is there anything that is not clear about what I am saying about that. Forget what has happened on ps1. Look at that and tell me that this is a good thing for EAs bottom line and I will ask you what you are smoking and an I have some lol.
From what I read from an ex-EA employee that wasn't associated with Madden, he thinks it's about $30 mil/yr for the license. So far, that would be equal to $150 million total at this time. I don't know if that is the figure that you had in mind with $500 million.
roadman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #120
MVP
 
Bgamer90's Arena
 
OVR: 26
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Wow! We are having real communication issues over something that should be very easy to communicate. Let me try one last time and see if we an get on the same page.

Madden selling 6mil plus copies in 2005 + high marketing costs + lower licensing fee = good.

Madden selling 3 mil plus copies in 2009 + high marketing costs + plus $500mil EXCLUSIVE licensing fee prorated over the life of the deal = trouble.

Is there anything that is not clear about what I am saying about that. Forget what has happened on ps1. Look at that and tell me that this is a good thing for EAs bottom line and I will ask you what you are smoking and can I have some lol.
Okay then why even talk about the sales of the last gen version of Madden 10 in the first place if you agree with me that the trend is true? You were talking about that and therefore I responded in terms of that. I'm not really having any communication issues with you.

Also I have said that Madden isn't doing as well in terms of buzz overall as it did in the peak days of the PS2... so yeah...
__________________
Bgamer90 on twitter
Bgamer90 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:07 PM.

Top -