Home

Xbox live activity November 09

This is a discussion on Xbox live activity November 09 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #121
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Referring to your newer post, then I stand corrected , yet again. You seem to take the opposing view of people who support Madden in most threads, so, therefore the assumptions.

Now back to the over saturation comment. Don't you agree that games cost a lot of money to produce? Technology, salaries, overhead, marketing, etc.......and if prices for games only jumped $10.00 from last generation to NG, and cost continue to rise with a declining sales trend for 5 months straight, that's why EA as a whole, not just Madden, had to cut back and put more strength into game which bring a higher profit margin.

That's why I feel that sports games in particular have reached a saturation point. The cost of games is more expensive each year, retail prices stay the same and sales have become stale.

Ok, I think I've applied my Econ 101. That's enough for me.
I not only agree that the cost of games has risen, I pointed it out in an earlier post. That would not explain the decrease in sales though and I'm not sure why you even bring that up. That is a reason for doors closing not for sales declining.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #122
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
Okay then why even talk about the sales of the last gen version of Madden 10 in the first place if you agree with me that the trend is true? You were talking about that and therefore I responded in terms of that. I'm not really having any communication issues with you.

Also I have said that Madden isn't doing as well in terms of buzz overall as it did in the peak days of the PS2... so yeah...
We were having issues because all I have ever said is that when you take into account the decline in sales couple with the exclusive rights fees which they never had to pay before that that was bad for EA's bottom line. And for some reason you and others keep challenging me on such an obvious point. So yeah. That is why I say we aren't communicating.

As far as you saying that I agree with your trend, you are arguing something different. I agree that the sales of last gen decreases as a new gen is introduced but that just means that the sales of ps1 decreases as ps2 sales increase. However, the key is how much the last gen decreases and how much the next gen increases. If everyone that does not buy the last gen version buys the new gen one then that's fine, but if the amount of people that buys the new gen is less than the amount that has passed on the last gen then that's bad.

My contention is that not only are sales declining on last gen but that the current gen sales are not proprtionate to that drop off. Is this the first time that this has ever been the case, I can't say for sure. What I can say is that even if it has happened before, though I doubt to this degree, it is still worse now because of that dreaded extra expense of the exclusive rights agreement which it never has before.

Last edited by Only1LT; 11-19-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #123
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
We were having issues because all I have ever said is that when you take into account the decline in sales couple with the exclusive rights fees which they never had to pay before that that was bad for EA's bottom line. And for some reason you and others keep challenging me on such an obvious point. So yeah. That is why I say we aren't communicating.

When I was responding to you it was on the comment "...but the fact that they only mentioned the sales of current gen as opposed to overall sales, is a clear indication of spin to hide the fact that overall sales are down." and all I was saying is that of course they are down especially when you consider the trend.

If it seemed as if I was saying that for other reasons then I'm sorry for that but yeah, that was basically all that I was trying to bring out.

Last edited by Bgamer90; 11-19-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #124
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
I not only agree that the cost of games has risen, I pointed it out in an earlier post. That would not explain the decrease in sales though and I'm not sure why you even bring that up. That is a reason for doors closing not for sales declining.
Sales decline=profits decline=doors closing. My point about saturation is that people are probably tired of the yearly production of sports games. That is probably one of the reasons why you see sales declining.

Madden has been declining in sales since last generation and they are still producing the game.

As I've stated before, business stay in business because they make sound business decisions for the whole company.

It will be interesting to see how EA and Madden survive with declining sales. I'm not as worried about it as you seem to be.

By the way, you keep referring that EA didn't have to pay for the rights for the NFL before the exclusive license. Every company that made a game prior to the license, had to pay the NFL a %. Granted, it's a lower % than what EA is doling out currently, but I wanted to set the record clear on that one.

Also, I think I read in this thread somewhere that Madden has sold 4 million copies so far. I would think between now and the holidays they could must at least 600,000 sold. If that happened, that would break the 4.5 million they sold last year, wouldn't it.

And then the chain would be broken for consecutive years declining sales, right?

Last edited by roadman; 11-19-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #125
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I would think it would be difficult for a 2k or any other manufacturer to jump in and make a good game off the bat. That would make companies cautious to go up against the big giant, I would think.
Ordinarily I would say yes. The thing is, this is the NFL we are talking about. People coming here and posting when they dont like/play madden just shows how popular this league is compared to the other sports. Also, 2k and backbreaker have a fairly big support base already. Adding an NFL license would double or triple the games sales instantly.

Not saying the games would be better than madden, but Tecmo, Gameday and 2k have made some very successful football games in the past even with madden in the market competing with each of em so it can be done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #126
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
When I was responding to you it was on the comment "...but the fact that they only mentioned the sales of current gen as opposed to overall sales, is a clear indication of spin to hide the fact that overall sales are down." and all I was saying is that of course they are down especially when you consider the trend.

If it seemed as if I was saying that for other reasons then I'm sorry for that but yeah, that was basically all that I was trying to bring out.
My counterpoint to you was that regardless of the trend that you pointed out that sales OVERALL, even taking that trend into consideration are still down. That's all
Old 11-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #127
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Ordinarily I would say yes. The thing is, this is the NFL we are talking about. People coming here and posting when they dont like/play madden just shows how popular this league is compared to the other sports. Also, 2k and backbreaker have a fairly big support base already. Adding an NFL license would double or triple the games sales instantly.

Not saying the games would be better than madden, but Tecmo, Gameday and 2k have made some very successful football games in the past even with madden in the market competing with each of em so it can be done.
I agree with some of what you said, but not all of it and I'm not about to take it down the road with other companies beyond what I did.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #128
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
My counterpoint to you was that regardless of the trend that you pointed out that sales OVERALL, even taking that trend into consideration are still down. That's all
Yep and what I was saying when it came to that was that the reason behind it isn't solely because people hate/are tired of madden.

Glad that we cleared that up

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »