Home
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #153
Rookie
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Jun 2007
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Well, I think that is a subjective opinion that Madden isn't a AAA game anymore. On the net, yeah, I think you would have a point , but my college age nephew still get's together with his buddies and feel it's still a great game. He doesn't go on message boards and read the net. Plug n Play person, say's I worry too much about the smallest things.

I think you would be surprised to discover that the economy might have taken away more sales from both games. I'm sure if this country's unemployment rate was where it was at in 2008, more games would be sold for both games.

I don't need my nose rubbed in crow pie. I feel both games were affected somewhat by the economy.
It's definitely subjective but I was just going with the general consensus. Most seem to have agreed that Madden is no longer considered AAA atleast amongst the other titles it is competing against.

And I'm sure the economy does play a small factor. I just don't think it is the end all reason for the decline. IMO, the only way I would use the economy card would be that consumers don't have that extra cash to throw at games that they won't be playing in a month. So they feel they won't get their moneys worth. Back when the economy was good, maybe more people could blind buy but in this day and age they may rent or play it at a friends house prior to purchasing.
__________________
"NFL/EA/2ksports, caused the worst generation of football gaming ever."

6.1.10
alliance4g63 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #154
Rookie
 
OVR: 2
Join Date: Aug 2005
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Wow, this thread blew up. I saw the change but it didn't seem that epic to me on the charts. What if they are sitting at #11? It's not like the game has fallen off the face of the earth.
Technically we don't even know if the numbers are statistically lower or higher than last year, we just know that more games are being played above it compared to last year. There are obviously millions more 360's compared to last year, yet Madden sales only increased slightly. Way too much factors in for this to be absolute evidence of a significant decline in active players due to quality like some users have insinuated.
KamikazeBlaize is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #155
MVP
 
OVR: 55
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minnesota
Blog Entries: 29
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeBlaize
Technically we don't even know if the numbers are statistically lower or higher than last year, we just know that more games are being played above it compared to last year. There are obviously millions more 360's compared to last year, yet Madden sales only increased slightly. Way too much factors in for this to be absolute evidence of a significant decline in active players due to quality like some users have insinuated.
I agree with this, and find the speculation pretty frivolous. I just don't feel much proof in terms of people getting sick of M10.
__________________
Xbox Live Gamertag: CreatineKasey

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
CreatineKasey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #156
*ll St*r
 
roadman's Arena
 
OVR: 34
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 25,527
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeBlaize
Technically we don't even know if the numbers are statistically lower or higher than last year, we just know that more games are being played above it compared to last year. There are obviously millions more 360's compared to last year, yet Madden sales only increased slightly. Way too much factors in for this to be absolute evidence of a significant decline in active players due to quality like some users have insinuated.
Good well thought out post. I agree with this.
roadman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #157
MVP
 
Only1LT's Arena
 
OVR: 16
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
There isn't much I disagree here.

I would say the only part I disagree with is that MW2 is more of a worldwide game than Madden is. A more comparable comparison would be MW2 and FIFA in my opinion.

So, if Madden sold 4 million without the license, would you still call that disappointing?
No I wouldn't call that disappointing at all.

The linchpin is the exclusive. If you sell less than you did in 2005 but you don't have to spend $500mil, and you are competing in a marketplace with other rival Football games? That's good. Paying $500mil to eliminate all competition and you sell less than when you had competition and you didn't have to spend anywhere near $500mil to do it? Well that is just about the worst business decision that you could make.

That's all I'm saying.
Only1LT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #158
MVP
 
Only1LT's Arena
 
OVR: 16
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I agree it's not as popular as it was. But I think my disagreement with you guys is that it's because people are "sick of the game's deteriorating quality". I think that may be the case for some folks but it's not for most. For most it's simply about economics and more top notch titles that people feel they want to check out instead of buying yearly sports titles.
Speaking for myself, I have not mentioned anything regarding the quality of the product even once. I just said that the economy is not the only reason for the sales decline, as it has slipped steadily every year since the exclusive deal, and they were not all in down economies. And that anyone that thinks that a loss of popularity is not A factor, not the sole factor, just A factor, is fooling themselves.

Why it's losing popularity? Is that quality related? I have no idea. What I can say pretty much unequivocally is that the title is not as popular, for what ever reason, as it once was. That's all.

Last edited by Only1LT; 11-20-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Only1LT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:41 PM   #159
Hall Of Fame
 
ODogg's Arena
 
OVR: 51
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 36,041
Blog Entries: 8
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Speaking for myself, I have not mentioned anything regarding the quality of the product even once. I just said that the economy is not the only reason for the sales decline, as it has slipped steadily every year since the exclusive deal, and they were not all in down economies. And that anyone that thinks that a loss of popularity is not A factor, not the sole factor, just A factor, is fooling themselves.

Why it's losing popularity? Is that quality related? I have no idea. What I can say pretty much unequivocally is that the title is not as popular, for what ever reason, as it once was. That's all.
my guess is it's like anything else, it's not really cool to be into sports games anymore, nowadays it's all about the cod's, l4d's and dragon ages of the world. i mean like i said, madden has been around so long by now most folks with limited income are just not buying it every year, it's not rocket science really.

I don't know much that EA can do either to fix it. madden 10 is worlds better than 09 but it's not caught the world on fire. i think maybe madden is like classic rock, for a while no one gave a crap about it anymore and now it's back into fashion. sometimes a product (or a person) just has to get out of the mainstream for awhile before it can get back into popularity and this right now is madden and sports games time to ride in the proverbial backseat for a while.
__________________
"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
ODogg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:07 PM   #160
*ll St*r
 
roadman's Arena
 
OVR: 34
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 25,527
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
No I wouldn't call that disappointing at all.

The linchpin is the exclusive. If you sell less than you did in 2005 but you don't have to spend $500mil, and you are competing in a marketplace with other rival Football games? That's good. Paying $500mil to eliminate all competition and you sell less than when you had competition and you didn't have to spend anywhere near $500mil to do it? Well that is just about the worst business decision that you could make.

That's all I'm saying.
One last question from me on this whole thing.

Where are you arriving at the $500 million dollar figure? Is this public knowledge or something that was pulled from out of a hat from a gaming internet source? I don't think the public knows exactly what the amount is.

I'm hearing from an ex-EA employee is close to $15 million per year. So, that would put it at currently $150 million up to this point.

I'm more inclined to go with an ex employee of EA's vs some source over the internet.

All I'm saying the $150 million is much less than the $500 million that you are portraying.

In the end, though, a loss is a loss. If you factor in $15 million a year on expenses vs $100 million/yr, the loss is much less on the balance sheets.

Also, you need to remember that EA's stock soared after the deal was made. I'm assuming some people made a lot of money when that happened.

Last edited by roadman; 11-20-2009 at 11:10 PM.
roadman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:51 PM.

Top -