Home

Xbox live activity November 09

This is a discussion on Xbox live activity November 09 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #25
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance4g63
Ok well find me a year that Madden has dropped out of the top 10, the first month after release? Most people here hated Madden 09 but even that stayed in the top 10 atleast until December of 08.
Again, like I said before, games from franchises known for having great multiplayer modes have took places in the top 10 as there have been more of them as this gen progressed. Therefore, they have taken most of the top spots and most of them have been sitting at Top 10 since their release which thus doesn't give that much room for other games.

Madden may not be in the top 10 but I'm more than sure that it has always been at least in the top 20...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #26
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Football is just not the "it" thing anymore.
To tell you the truth (and the charts show it) sports gaming (and other genres of gaming) as a whole is losing the steam it once had due to console shooters taking over.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I think it's because we have a new breed of gamers, more casual folks, coming into gaming and they are not sports fans. Most sports fans have been in video games all along, since back in the day.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 5

I won't quote both of you guys because yall both have the same argument. I really can't believe yall are trying to make the FPS argument. Again in the example I just showed. MADDEN 09 stayed in the top 10 atleast until december! And this was against atleast 5 FPS. All with stellar multiplayer modes. Madden and all other genres will always have to compete with FPS yet in the past they stayed in the race.

I think both of you are just dodging the writing on the wall. It will become more apparent next year. I really dont see how it cant be alarming that for one the Demo can stay in the top ten longer than then actual game. And that the game dropped out of the top 10 one month after release. If I were head of Ea sports, the red flag would be raised.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:49 PM   #29
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
To tell you the truth (and the charts show it) sports gaming (and other genres of gaming) as a whole is losing the steam it once had due to console shooters taking over.
But this is not an argument about sports games. It's an argument about Madden and the football genre. Which used to always be in the top 10 no matter the competition. Madden 09 was able to do it so the question is why cant the supposed better game not have the same or better success?

Old 11-18-2009, 04:51 PM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballsim
Also, I don't understand what your sig means. Is the NG really worse than CG?
Did you really just ask this question? This generation is 10 times worse than last gen.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

alliance - you are missing our point, the consumers of today are not the same ones as of yesterday. There are much more casual gamers out there now who are not sports fans. Gaming as a whole is a much larger audience. It only makes sense that sports games would shrink in popularity as the overall popularity of gaming increases. That's why Madden and other sports games are not doing as well, not for any lack of quality. Compare the number of Maddens and sports games sold vs. other sports games and you will see that there is not much drop off, if any.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
I won't quote both of you guys because yall both have the same argument. I really can't believe yall are trying to make the FPS argument. Again in the example I just showed. MADDEN 09 stayed in the top 10 atleast until december! And this was against atleast 5 FPS. All with stellar multiplayer modes. Madden and all other genres will always have to compete with FPS yet in the past they stayed in the race.

I think both of you are just dodging the writing on the wall. It will become more apparent next year. I really dont see how it cant be alarming that for one the Demo can stay in the top ten longer than then actual game. And that the game dropped out of the top 10 one month after release. If I were head of Ea sports, the red flag would be raised.
The red flag will be raised when the sales decline considerably, which they haven't. Madden has lost market share but it's still a huge seller and the biggest sports game by far. Even if gamers have left M10 faster this year, that could also be because it's been a particularly active fall in terms of releases. The presence of the M10 demo could also mean some gamers have a new interest in the game.

The other thing is this list represents a relative ranking of games, not absolute numbers. It's quite possible Madden's in the top 15 but has more people playing it than last year, given the increase in the 360 console base. However, that's just speculation because there's nothing here to tell us what's going on.

The only thing you can deduce from this is that nine other games and the Madden 10 demo are more popular online than the full version of Madden 10. There are simply too many data points missing to make much of a conclusion beyond that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »