Home
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #33
MVP
 
baseballsim's Arena
 
OVR: 6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance4g63
Did you really just ask this question? This generation is 10 times worse than last gen.
Yes I did. Sorry, for bringing it up but it seems like there's a lot of guys like you who hang around this Madden forum with nothing positive to say.

Do you still play Madden or have you sold it on EBay? If you no longer play Madden what's the purpose of posting in the Madden forums - to get good exposure?
__________________
Ballpark Dimensions
baseballsim is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #34
Banned
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Nov 2009
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

doesnt surprise me at all, no one cares about american football outside of america
broba is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #35
Banned
 
OVR: 0
Join Date: Nov 2009
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando70
The red flag will be raised when the sales decline considerably, which they haven't. Madden has lost market share but it's still a huge seller and the biggest sports game by far. Even if gamers have left M10 faster this year, that could also be because it's been a particularly active fall in terms of releases. The presence of the M10 demo could also mean some gamers have a new interest in the game.

The other thing is this list represents a relative ranking of games, not absolute numbers. It's quite possible Madden's in the top 15 but has more people playing it than last year, given the increase in the 360 console base. However, that's just speculation because there's nothing here to tell us what's going on.

The only thing you can deduce from this is that nine other games and the Madden 10 demo are more popular online than the full version of Madden 10. There are simply too many data points missing to make much of a conclusion beyond that.

fifas the biggest sports game, get out of your bubble. If they didnt have winning eleven and pes to compete aginst which has sold over 50 million copies they would sell even more

Last edited by broba; 11-18-2009 at 05:21 PM.
broba is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #36
DickDalewood
Guest
 
OVR:
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang911
This list includes the number of people that have played the game ONLINE or OFFLINE, as long as you are connected to XBLive. Your point is invalid.
Lol, and in an unrelated statistic: did you know 15% of people don't understand sarcasm?
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:35 PM   #37
MVP
 
Only1LT's Arena
 
OVR: 16
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando70
The red flag will be raised when the sales decline considerably, which they haven't. Madden has lost market share but it's still a huge seller and the biggest sports game by far. Even if gamers have left M10 faster this year, that could also be because it's been a particularly active fall in terms of releases. The presence of the M10 demo could also mean some gamers have a new interest in the game.

The other thing is this list represents a relative ranking of games, not absolute numbers. It's quite possible Madden's in the top 15 but has more people playing it than last year, given the increase in the 360 console base. However, that's just speculation because there's nothing here to tell us what's going on.

The only thing you can deduce from this is that nine other games and the Madden 10 demo are more popular online than the full version of Madden 10. There are simply too many data points missing to make much of a conclusion beyond that.
You make valid points and, yes, there are data points missing from this list. This list doesn't give the whole picture. I don't think that it should be discounted though, because I do tend to think that there is a connection here, but a case can not be made, definitively, at this juncture.

However, you brought up a point, in an attempt to try to try and explain how Madden may still be in good shape, when that very same point can be used to say that Madden may in fact, be in worse shape than ever. You mentioned that the install base of the 360 (and all consoles in general) has increased from last year. Which is obviously and unquestionably true. You said that this could cause a saturation on Live, whereas Madden may actually have more people playing it this year and have it not be in the top 10 because there are just so many other FPS gamers on the scene. Possible. But, when you take into account all of the new consoles, it makes the fact that Madden’s sales have declined, yet again, look even worse.

You can’t tell me that out of all of the millions of systems that have been sold, that none of them are Football gamers, or that all of them are Madden haters. There have to be some people from that pool that has the potential to like Football games or that are Football gamers already, and were just waiting for the prices of the current gen systems to drop. Yes the current gen sales of Madden are supposedly up 3%, but I don’t find it all that curious that EA has not touted sales of the other platforms, considering that they are down. Other platforms, mind you, have increased their user bases as well.

Whether the game is great or terrible, isn’t the issue, and you can surely discount these Live top 10 stats as not being relevant, but I think that people are kidding themselves if they think that Madden is just fine, from a business standpoint. Yes it still sells 3 or 4 million copies, but it also costs appreciably more to make when you factor in the exclusive rights fees, and the massive amount of marketing that is done for this game. Taking that into consideration, I think it’s reasonable to assume that even if this game was selling at the pre exclusive deal numbers, which it is not, it still might not be on solid footing
Only1LT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #38
MVP
 
Bgamer90's Arena
 
OVR: 26
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance4g63
But this is not an argument about sports games. It's an argument about Madden and the football genre. Which used to always be in the top 10 no matter the competition. Madden 09 was able to do it so the question is why cant the supposed better game not have the same or better success?
Once again, it's due to other hyped AAA games taking over and being with previous hyped AAA games. COD MW2 came out this year along with Halo ODST. If those games didn't come out this year I'm more than sure that Madden would be higher in rank for this month.

You see it as just Madden and/or football gaming when the example you are using is representative of how gaming is as a whole this gen.
__________________
Bgamer90 on twitter
Bgamer90 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #39
Rookie
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Jun 2007
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
alliance - you are missing our point, the consumers of today are not the same ones as of yesterday. There are much more casual gamers out there now who are not sports fans. Gaming as a whole is a much larger audience. It only makes sense that sports games would shrink in popularity as the overall popularity of gaming increases. That's why Madden and other sports games are not doing as well, not for any lack of quality. Compare the number of Maddens and sports games sold vs. other sports games and you will see that there is not much drop off, if any.
How can you make that argument? You are telling me that everygame on that list represent the increase in the casual fanbase?

My point is the list has not changed. There will always be 4+ FPS that will be in the top 10. Again dont bring up other sports games because other sports games didnt sell almost 10 million copies of the game. Football gaming is a massive market that is not what it used to be. IMO, not because the casual have taken over(Madden's biggest fanbase are casuals, go figure) but because there is no interest in the genre because it has gone stale.
__________________
"NFL/EA/2ksports, caused the worst generation of football gaming ever."

6.1.10
alliance4g63 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #40
Rookie
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Jun 2007
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballsim
Yes I did. Sorry, for bringing it up but it seems like there's a lot of guys like you who hang around this Madden forum with nothing positive to say.

Do you still play Madden or have you sold it on EBay? If you no longer play Madden what's the purpose of posting in the Madden forums - to get good exposure?
I will say positve things when there are positve things worth saying.

And in case you didn't know, this place here is called a forum where I can post my opinions about a subject I am very much interested in. I am here because I choose to give my opinion and hear others, whether they agree with me or not.
__________________
"NFL/EA/2ksports, caused the worst generation of football gaming ever."

6.1.10
alliance4g63 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:09 PM.

Top -