Home

Old 11-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #57
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Xbox live activity November 09

I'm not sure what direction this is headed in. I can't recall the last time I put Madden in. I'm waiting just like everyone else wiating for patch #2.

I'm playing more hoops games and our son is racking up the MW2 playing time.

Also, I'm sure it will spike up after the patch is released and after the holidays if mom and dad purchase their children Madden for Xmas.

Last edited by roadman; 11-18-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
All your numbers do is support what the majority is saying: Other online games have become more popular (ever heard of Modern Warfare?), and sports games don't have the same pull they did before. And don't give me the "but Madden 09 sucked and even it was in the top 10!" argument. The other genres are showing a steady INCLINE in popularity, so it only makes sense to see sports titles steadily DECLINING. Hence, this year it's not as high up as last, which wasn't as high as the year before.

The video game industry is reaching a much larger audience now, and as such, games other than just the sports titles are becoming more and more popular.

ODogg is right, Madden is just fine.
So the other genres have increased in popularity so much that it keeps Madden 10(not 9 or 8 or even 7) out of the top 10 just a month after release?
And these genres were not as popular last year right. They just showed up one day and were instant blockbusters. COD4 says hi!

And games are becoming more popular as the user base grows. Well guess what.. the same genres that lead every year are the same genres that are still leading, with the exception of!! Wait for it..... FOOTBALL VIDEOGAMES!

Old 11-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #59
Pro

jacory12's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I'm not sure what direction this is headed in. I can't recall the last time I put Madden in. I'm waiting just like everyone else wiating for patch #2.

I'm playing more hoops games and our son is racking up the MW2 playing time.

Also, I'm sure it will spike up after the patch is released and after the holidays if mom and dad purchase junior Madden for Xmas.
Junior Madden? Huh?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #60
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance4g63
So the other genres have increased in popularity so much that it keeps Madden 10(not 9 or 8 or even 7) out of the top 10 just a month after release?
And these genres were not as popular last year right. They just showed up one day and were instant blockbusters. COD4 says hi!

And games are becoming more popular as the user base grows. Well guess what.. the same genres that lead every year are the same genres that are still leading, with the exception of!! Wait for it..... FOOTBALL VIDEOGAMES!
Here is a sampling you can use for your study. As soon as our soon comes home from school, he hops on the 360, puts in MW2 and all of his friends come on and join in on the fun. Most of his friends have MW2. None of them have Madden. They'd rather blast each others brains out vs playing a football game.

Is that so surprising?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:16 PM   #61
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacory12
Junior Madden? Huh?
Ah, good spot. Will change.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #62
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance4g63

Lol, you just love proving my argument.

Madden 08 was higher up on the list than Madden 09. Madden 09 was higher up on the list than Madden 10. This is what is called a steady decline.

Those FPS games? They are seeing more and more time in the top 10 each year. This is called a steady INCLINE.

None of them just "suddenly appeared on those lists". They came out, were popular, and as later iterations released, they grew in said popularity and began taking over the charts. The install base of video games is growing, henceforth so grows the install base for those other genres. And like one of the posters before me mentioned, it's a heck of a lot easier and more fun for a group of friends to all go home after school and hop online to play MW2 together. If they play Madden (or any other sports game), then only two at a time can play. What fun is that when all of you want to play online together?

Sorry dude, these numbers show nothing more than the fact that shooters allow for larger groups of friends to play together online at a time. So yes, the same genres lead every year, but MORE from that genre are scratching into the top ten, because that genre is becoming MORE popular. Something has to get pushed to the side.

Everyone I know still buys Madden, no one I know plays it online. It has nothing to do with its quality, it has everything to do with there being more online oriented games that allow for more of us to get together and play at once.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:55 AM   #63
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

I will say one thing, as a guy who has played games for over 30 years now, the quantity of quality games (think A+ titles) has greatly increased as have the consoles available. Used to be there was 1 console, then 2, and in 3. With the increase in the number of consoles and the number of people playing, there's been an increase in the number of games available for people to choose from. Games are like candy for me, and I buy a LOT of them, typically more than I have time to play (roughly 30 games sitting untouched right now in my stack of 'to play' games).

If the number of quality games affects anything, then IMHO it's going to affect the games that are released yearly. The question is, are ALL yearly games seeing a reduction in sales? I honestly can't answer that question. I know that NBA 2K10 killed it's numbers from last year with a 60% increase so far over the same time span. Can anyone else show numbers from other yearly releases?

If there is a trend that affects yearly releases of sports titles, then it should affect all yearly releases, not just Madden, which means the quality of the game has nothing to do with the reduction in sales numbers. However, if Madden stands virtually alone in the reduction of units sold, then that points strongly a customer rejection of the game.

They may reject it for quality issues, or due to the negative views held by gamers caused by the Madden / NFL Exclusivity deal. Whether rightly or wrongly, I'm not sure EA can ever recover with the customers who feel cheated out of future versions of 2K NFL games. There's a lot of gamers out there who view it as a mark of honor/integrity to not buy their games. How does a company convince a customer to ignore their own convictions? This is pure conjecture of course, but something has caused the sell numbers to go down, and I know whenever I talk with collegues or kids in their 20's they are all aware of the deal, and they almost never have anything good to say. Word of mouth can kill products and can even kill brands.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #64
Rookie

OVR: 4

I've been playing Madden for 21 years now. I just traded my madden 10 for MW2. I would have kept the game if I didnt have to wait for a patch more than 4 months after its release. We'll see how 11 turns out. Hopefully EA cleans house, and gets a new engine to give us a state of the ar t finished product.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »