Home

Old 11-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Can Aaron Kampman be a 3-4 DE?

I did this in my franchise & am pretty happy with how Kampman performs as a LE in madden. He gets good pressure on the QB but still plays the run very strong because of his speed.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletusdog
if the question is about madden, absolutely, he'd be a good 3-4 DE

if the Q is about real life, No Way
could you do me a solid and explain to me how one of the top pass rushing/run stopping DEs in the league would be better in coverage than as a 3-4 outside linebacker than as a player who has his hand on the ground on every down. anyone who has seen Kampman play with his hand on the ground before he was out last sunday knows this is where he belongs.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favre4
could you do me a solid and explain to me how one of the top pass rushing/run stopping DEs in the league would be better in coverage than as a 3-4 outside linebacker than as a player who has his hand on the ground on every down. anyone who has seen Kampman play with his hand on the ground before he was out last sunday knows this is where he belongs.
I'd think I'd have to agree with above post on this one. Kampman is clearly a better player at the DE position than he is at OLB, and I'd say pass coverage is the #1 reason. I also agree that Kampman has enough size and run-stopping ability to be a very effective DE even in the 3-4 formation.

Being 6'5" and 300 lbs may be ideal for a 3-4 DE, but it's not absolutely necessary. Same thing when looking at a DT for the 3-4 ... 320 lbs+ may be ideal, but look over some of the strong 3-4 defenses and you'll find several DT's right around the 300 lb mark. Lacking "ideal" size can be overcome by skill/strength/attitude.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #12
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

Kampman could definitely be a 3-4 end. It's not like you're asking Elvis Dumervil to play a 3-4 end, Kampman can eat blockers and play the run.

In terms of Madden, it would be a great idea to have him play LE because LE dominates in Madden.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 26

I think the LE may produce more because of how the ratings are setup. If you look LTs tend to have higher pass block ratings in both strength and footwork compared to the RTs who tend to either be poor in both or just have pass block strength. I will say that it does feel easier to pass rush from the LE but I have played down on that side forever and always felt awkward at the RE spot.

Either way, Kampman at DE would be a solid move. I personally would consider keeping him at LB because of his ability in the open field. It seems every game I play against him at LB(fantasy drafts and sliders mind you) he racks up at least 8 tackles in 10 min quarter with 15 second run off. I give up rushing to his side because no one blocks him for more then half a second and then he is on top of me. At DE he will face Gs and Ts again and may not get off as quickly.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
I think the LE may produce more because of how the ratings are setup. .
It's also how the game works.. almost all QB's slide (step) right in the pocket, regardless of where the pressure is coming from. In real life, you step up in the pocket away from pressure, regardless of which arm you use to throw.. but alas.

And yes, kampmann could play 3-4 DE and be effective, but you couldn't really complain when he gets blocked 1v1 in the run game, and guards and FBs are flying into the second level with a full head of steam.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #15
MVP

Hushroom's Arena

OVR: 10

YES put him at either end. Rating boosts to a 99, stops the run and is an amazing pass rusher. DO IT.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #16
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favre4
Playing with a hand in the ground isn't the issue. Kampman is a great 4-3 DE. That is is his natural position, and it is where he should be. But in a 3-4, in real life, he's WAY too small to be a DE. 3-4 DE's are basically 3 technique DT's. They have to be big. They are primarily there to stop the run, and very rarely get tackles or sacks. Kampman is just too small.

A normal 3-4 DE is between 290-300 lbs typically. Kampman is only 260. He'd get crushed in the run game, and it would be way too easy for linemen to get to the linebackers. Now he isn't a very good fit at OLB either. But he's more suited for that in a 3-4 than a DE. The 3-4 defense is COMPLETELY different than a 4-3. It's different in terms of gap responsibilities, how the o-line blocks you (3-4 DE's get double teamed a lot more than 4-3 DE's), and pass rush. A 3-4 DE and 4-3 DE are very different positions.

Honestly, I think if the Packers plan on sticking with the 3-4, they should trade Kampman in the offseason. He's a great player, but he does not help their defense. He needs to play for a team that runs a 4-3. They can still get value for him in the offseason, and I believe the value they could get for him in a trade would far outweigh the value they get for him in a 3-4 defense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »