Home

Can Aaron Kampman be a 3-4 DE?

This is a discussion on Can Aaron Kampman be a 3-4 DE? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2009, 04:12 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
Can Aaron Kampman be a 3-4 DE?

I understand that the 3-4 doesn't work the way it should it Madden but I would like to continue using it in my Packers franchise as I am having success with it. What I am looking to do headed into my first offseason is either draft or pick up a FA OLB and move Kampman back to DE. So the question, IRL, could Kampman be a viable DE? I know he is undersized but what do you think? Also, Cullen Jenkins leads my team in sacks as my starting LE, does Madden still favor the LE over the RE as far as sack production? It is hard for me to tell as I have used a number of lower rated players at that position and only produced a few sacks. If I move Kampman to LE and Jenkins to RE can I still expect Jenkins to produce? I appreciate any help, thank you in advance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2009, 06:36 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Can Aaron Kampman be a 3-4 DE?

I have also found that the LE does dominate in terms of production of sacks.

The other thing is that Madden does not do a very good job of simulating size issues. So there is no reason why Kampman would not do very well at the end position.

Alternatively if you run the 3-4 defence you could keep Kampman at OLB but play the Nickel 2-4-5. Kampman (and presumably Clay Mathews?) will then play effectively from the DE position. I have logged up a ton of sacks with Dumervil and DJ Williams using this formation.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 20

I have found that if left alone the LE will outproduce the RE in played games. I have gotten to the point where I am almost as good using each and getting to the QB but then again my RE is usually a better player so for them to produce evenly means the LE still has the advantage.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

Kampman was a beast 4-3 DE, stout vs the run, not just a pass rusher. So yea it's not unrealistic to have him as a 3-4 DE.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 21

yeah, he'll be good in this game at DE. In my offline franchise, I converted both LaMarr Woodley and Brian Orakpo from OLB to DE, and they dominate.

Woodley is a 99 OVR at RE and Orakpo is a 95 OVR at LE.

The game definitely seems to favor the LE, because Orakpo is just racking up the sacks. However, neither is as good as Ty Warren (88 OVR LE) who broke the record with 24 sacks in my first franchise season, all while I'm controlling LB's and Safeties... Because of his total dominance in this game, I look for guys with similar peripheral stats -- like high Power Move, Strength, and Block Shed. However, by season 4 he was 31 and asking for too much money, so I had to go younger and faster and convert the OLBs with just a little drop off in performance.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

I am a die hard Packer fan who has lived in Green Bay my entire life minus a few 9 month stints the last 3 years while at college. I have been screaming for this since pre-season. Kampman needs to be at end even in the 3-4. He really isnt that undersized. He is what 270? Mario Williams is only 290. Not only that but Kampman has an extremely high motor and is an extremely physical player. I think he is in the top 5 defensive ends in this league. When at end, there is no time that Kampman disappears during games like Freeney does in the run game. I think the only guys that may match Kampman's consistency and production are Jared Allen, Mario Williams and maybe Richard Seymour.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
Banned

dfos81's Arena

OVR: 16

Kampman would more than likely do better at LE vs. OLB. W/ the Packers Lbers, I would convert him to LE in a heartbeat!

I'm currently playing a franchise (offline co-op) w/ the Cowboys. We are tied for 4th in the league in sacks and 1st in forced turnovers. We have D. Ware(12 sacks), Ratliff(10), Spears(8), and Spencer(6) w/ 3 games remaining in reg. season. We are on pace for about 55-60 sacks.
Our redzone is 1st in tds allowed, the downfall is we've fluctated from 20th, 25th in yards allowed per game. Thats the price you pay for being aggressive though.

I must be 1 of the few that belive the 3-4 D works well, if you know how to run it, filling the correct gaps w/ LBers, it really makes the short passing game a challenge. It can also lead to unblocked pass rushers w/ the correct blitzing schemes. Its deadly in the readzone when used correctly.
Now the simmed stats may be off on teams that use the 34 D, thats hard to prove b/c I've noticed teams using it up in the tops in total sacks, but its just more wide spread throughout the team.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
Rookie

cletusdog's Arena

OVR: 6

if the question is about madden, absolutely, he'd be a good 3-4 DE

if the Q is about real life, No Way

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »