Home

Do you NEED a new Madden game every year?

This is a discussion on Do you NEED a new Madden game every year? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
ESBC Roster - The Best We've Ever Seen in a Boxing Game?
PES 2021 Team Spirit Guide - Understand Chemistry on a New Level
MLB The Show 21 Diamond Dynasty Budget Beasts
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #25
DickDalewood

OVR:
Re: Do you NEED a new Madden game every year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoot22
Personally, I don't need Madden 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, etc. every year. I think EA could take two to three years to make a new engine for this game without missing a beat (financially). Madden 10 is a good game and with the fixes coming in the 2nd patch I'm hopeful that it will fix the issues that we have problems with. Now, onto my point.

It seems as though every year the same problems are always showing up and never getting fixed. I feel like this is more of a problem with the game engine rather than the developers. In order to truly get rid of these problems the game needs to rebuilt from the ground up. I'm well aware that creating a new engine for a game can take years but I'm fine with that. I really only play Madden during the football season anyway and I wouldn't even mind paying say, $5 (don't bash the price, it's just a number I picked) for a roster update.

So my question to everyone here is this: Would you wait 2 years (the next madden would be August 2011) for a legitmate "new" madden?
I'll preface this by saying I love this year's Madden, but it's quite obvious that a one year cycle really holds these games back.

I'd honestly be perfectly happy paying $60 every two years for a new game, and even $20 the year inbetween for roster updates, tweaks to gameplay, etc.

People pay about that for new maps, etc for games like Gears of War, so if it were to update the game in that manner while they worked on an awesome bi-yearly product, I'd be all for it.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #26
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40

I'm the kind of guy EA loves.

I'm the guy that's going to buy it no matter what every year, just to satisfy my football fever.

I'd like to stop, but not enough to actually do it.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #27
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAllen20
[...] which engine would you want to be replaced?
For me, the ANT animation engine. It may not be the one we have had in Madden for almost a decade, but it sure looks and feels like the same one. Also the engine that drives/operates the AI.

What even engine that 2k used for their games is really good. Not perfec, but really good and better than what EA is using. Heck, if 2k were using ANT or what ever, then that means they have done better with the same tech. it's not like EA doesn't have a lot of good ideas, they are just known for botching them in the long run.

I don't even need to get into how 2k used over 30 mo-cap actor including NFL superstars which undoubtedly contributed to their game quality. I know EA uses more than one guy for Mo-Cap work, but the way they present themselves, they aren't really pushing the mo-cap to the limit, nor the talent. You can find lots of Mo-Cap footage by EA on youtube. Whiel 2k was busy using Tom Brady and Brian Urlacher and other stars, EA had some former college scrub who wouldn' even do "fail" animations and was acting more like he was trying out for the NFL than doing true mo-cap work. It's hard to get a range of mo-cap work when one little fast guy has to also act like he is big T.O. and Randy Moss, and LT, and Brandon Jacobs. It just isn't fair to the gamers to do that.

EA, Challenge everything. Well, except EA themselves, right?

Oh, and I know it is apples and oranges, but I was fine buying CoD4 and then MW2 a while later. Or the same with Oblivion and then later Fallout 3.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #28
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexis
yes, i'll get bored by the time the new release is out
36 months playing one game? NAHHHH
I can make it two years without any updates on a good game. APF2K8 held my interest that long, and probably would have lasted longer if 2K hadn't taken down the league servers online which provided capabilities not available in the game itself.

I would definitely pay $15 for a roster / bug fix update each year. Would be hard pressed to pay over that though.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #29
Big Dummy

DustinT's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by treq21
This will NEVER happen.

case in point: I was talking to a friend of mine this weekend who is a BIG madden player. He wanted me to get online to play , and I told him I was waiting for patch 2 to drop before I played any more games. To which he replied, "Whats patch 2?". I explained that there was another patch coming to fix some of the problems that exist in the game. Not only was he unaware that there was a patch 1, he argued with me that there are no problems at all with this game.

My friend is more the typical madden player than anybody on this or any other message board. When I suggested to him that he come on this board and check it out to see what people are saying, he laughed and said , "no way, I'd rather just play the game"

If EA did not release this game every year, THAT is when he would be upset. Because the majority of people play this game as it is without a second thought. Like 99.9 %.
Your friend is a smart man. A lot of people here at OS just complain about how Madden is, but it still is a good game.

I will always buy the game every year, I love NFL and always will. Sure this game has its problems, but its light years ahead of 09, but I enjoy the game. I have fun. I didn't spend $60 to complain about not having better sim stats. Would better sim stats make me smile, yes. Is it going to ruin my experience, no.

R.I.P Seattle SuperSonics
Old 11-19-2009, 01:15 AM   #30
Rookie

murdamann10's Arena

OVR: 6

Madden is madden, every year.

To answer the question, do we need madden every year, the answer is no. At least I don't. I just need a nfl game every year, and until/if the licsense is ever up, I expect a game every year because I like playing up to date NFL games.

If people think they don't need madden or a new football game every year try this:

Go back and play madden 08 or 09. If you do roster updates go head do that, then start playing the game, and give it 2-3 weeks. Then play a game of madden 10 and ask yourself if you need it.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:01 AM   #31
Banned

OVR: 3

Competition is whats needed!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2009, 10:51 AM   #32
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdamann10
Madden is madden, every year.

To answer the question, do we need madden every year, the answer is no. At least I don't. I just need a nfl game every year, and until/if the licsense is ever up, I expect a game every year because I like playing up to date NFL games.

If people think they don't need madden or a new football game every year try this:

Go back and play madden 08 or 09. If you do roster updates go head do that, then start playing the game, and give it 2-3 weeks. Then play a game of madden 10 and ask yourself if you need it.
It's an interesting test. There is one flaw in it tho. 08 on current gen is considered unplayable and 09 barely so by many maddenheads (me among them). 10 is the first version alot of madden diehards have been able to enjoy at all in a while (me not among them ). So when compared to the past versions, football gamers probably do need 10 more so than 09 or 08 or 07.

I admit tho, I tried to return to the ps2 madden (my favorite game of all time) after I gave up on 10 and couldn't do it. The lack of HD killed that for me, not the year of the title I think tho cause I couldnt play madden 10 on ps2 either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »