Home

Do you NEED a new Madden game every year?

This is a discussion on Do you NEED a new Madden game every year? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Do you NEED a new Madden game every year?

Personally, I don't need Madden 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, etc. every year. I think EA could take two to three years to make a new engine for this game without missing a beat (financially). Madden 10 is a good game and with the fixes coming in the 2nd patch I'm hopeful that it will fix the issues that we have problems with. Now, onto my point.

It seems as though every year the same problems are always showing up and never getting fixed. I feel like this is more of a problem with the game engine rather than the developers. In order to truly get rid of these problems the game needs to rebuilt from the ground up. I'm well aware that creating a new engine for a game can take years but I'm fine with that. I really only play Madden during the football season anyway and I wouldn't even mind paying say, $5 (don't bash the price, it's just a number I picked) for a roster update.

So my question to everyone here is this: Would you wait 2 years (the next madden would be August 2011) for a legitmate "new" madden?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #2
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Do you NEED a new Madden game every year?

Agreed, and just sell a roster / commentary update. We'd see a far better product if it were released every year. This is true for ALL sports game, not just Madden. It won't ever happen though. As long as people are buying it every year, they're going to keep making it every year.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 24

I would pay 1200 MS points or $15 yearly to get weekly roster updates and a patched game.
I could live with them releasing a new version from scratch every 3 years.
That said, it won't happen.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

new every year.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Banned

2krules's Arena

OVR: 19

In the game's current state, I wouldn't be happy unless a new game is released every year, simply because Madden doesn't keep me interested for more than about 7-9 months.

At the point where Madden becomes as good a game as some other football games, then I'd be happy with one game every two years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

I like your ideas on this. I think a robust DLC structure could benefit the series on a whole.

Being a dedicated franchise player, I wouldn't mind paying extra money for a DLC (downloadable content) package exclusive for franchise play. This way the Madden team could better realize the money coming in from franchise players like myself, and dedicate the appropriate resources for continue development.

I agree with you that they should release a base game every couple of years with major engine improvements, then DLC the rest.

The biggest gotcha in my mind is keeping everyone in sync with online play.

Last edited by csthopper; 11-18-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Madden and the NFL would never allow this to happen as many people have posted on this before.

Gamers will need to organize, take the first step and refuse to purchase for a year. If you could get enough people to commit to this and really not buy, EA would have to redo madden and the NFL would rethink the exlusive deal opening the door for 2k, NFL backbreaker and maybe some new blood.

That is a really big if tho. Better off trying to solve the Israel/Palestine situation.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

It's not even that simple: gamers need to send a message to Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Target, etc., who in turn have to send a message to EA. Once the retailers buy from EA, it's the retailers that take the immediate hit, not EA. Only when the retailers stop stocking up on Madden will EA care.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »