Home

Putting a player in motion

This is a discussion on Putting a player in motion within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 7
Re: Putting a player in motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeycool
I know there is at least one type of motion that is not predetermined, that happens on almost every drive in the NFL. (Including the colts who don't motion much) That is shifting a RB from one side of the QB to the other for pass protection. Those motions or shifts are not set up in the huddle but rather are determined by the look of the defense.
As of now, the only sets you can do that from on Madden is stack sets. From the Colts playbook, you can motion the RB to the other side using gun bunchTE.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:02 PM   #34
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAHAM
When people are motioning, why would you consider that drawing a play in the dirt? I know what play I'm going to run and the adjustments before I even call the play. That's what practice mode is for. The Madden playbooks are small compared to NFL playbooks, so I consider the plays I make at the line as part of my playbook.

Using the Colts as an example isn't the greatest considering they don't use much motion. When they do, its usually a WR that motions closer to the line. They don't motion across the line or back and forth from what I see, though other teams do. Its basic strategy. Smarfootball.com has a few articles that talks about that and using other motions to force the D to show their look. Other teams use alot of formation shifts, which are not on Madden anymore, so the only option is to use motion. I have no problem with people motioning on Madden because its the only way to get different sets and looks for plays.
I understand that motion is an extremely important part of a lot of offenses. And it should be represented in Madden. But rather than give the user the ability to call for motion at the LoS, I'd rather larger playbooks, and/or create-a-play to add more motioning. And getting a better look at pre-snap defense is a very important motive for motioning (along with moving players around and hoping to get mismatches or confuse the defense). Motion is very much a part of football, but motioning WR's on the fly is not. And if the developers are truly trying to capture the NFL in the game, it's something that needs to go. Plus, think of all the problems and glitches they've had over the years related to user controlled motioning. It causes problems because it isn't a part of football, so it doesn't fit in with a lot of the other programming (I'm talking about fatigue glitch, snapping with the WR still motioning behind the line).

Formation shifts were a very popular thing a few years ago, but have fallen out of favor a bit in the NFL. The way it was put in in last gen was not how it actually works irl. That'd be a cool thing to add in, but only if done right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
@DonkeyJote

What you saying is in terms of real football. We're talking Madden here. You can audible your receivers to run entirely new routes.

Madden football is fake. We draw our plays in the dirt every play. But I get what you're saying.

And the Colts don't use motion, because motion is stupid. Nothing annoys me more when some dude does a predetermined dance and ends up in the same spot. Serving no purpose, because we all know Alex Smith can't read a defense.
Audibling your receivers to run new routes is called hot routing. It happens in the NFL all the time. Madden doesn't quite have it right (you should only be able to HR one receiver, and the routes should be more limited - slant, stop, fade, go, and quick pass (just turn and catch)). But it is a part of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeycool
I know there is at least one type of motion that is not predetermined, that happens on almost every drive in the NFL. (Including the colts who don't motion much) That is shifting a RB from one side of the QB to the other for pass protection. Those motions or shifts are not set up in the huddle but rather are determined by the look of the defense.
That is absolutely true. I do believe I did say something about this previously. HB's get moved in shotgun for pass protection all the time, and TE's and FB's get moved for pass and run blocking as well.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #35
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Maybe if the player goes to a spot, but not when they are checking coverage. You can't always read safeties / LBs to determine coverage.
When I say that, I mean post snap. The first thing your eyes should check should be LB's to read blitz, and the safeties to read coverage. That's they way I do it anyway, and it works pretty well so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
How do you reset the play on the 360?
Audible (X), and then reset play (LT)
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »