Home

Old 11-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Question Route Running in Madden 10

Does Madden 10 differentiate a WR's ability to run different types of routes? Like a drag, slant, in/out, post/corner, fade, double move and such?

I was thinking of a game where Troy Aikman was talking about Roy Williams and how he was struggling running a specific route (out route), but he was running the slants really well. Just curious if the game has it down to the level of detail.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 21
Re: Route Running in Madden 10

The game certainly has double and fade routes. The problem is the "route based passing" really prevents them from being used effectively without user catching.

A QB should be able to throw on the final step of his drop, to a position where the WR will be. In Madden you tend to throw the ball to where your WR is. This usually turns every route into an instant curl, forcing the WR to stop, turn and catch the ball. This is also the reason Rocket Catching, in this and Maddens past as been so dominant.

The only exception continues to be slants and posts. For the most part slants lead the the WR almost too good. Posts sometimes work but it depends on the long accuracy and arm strength of the QB, so its difficult to know where the problem is. Sideline routes work, the issue of a WR not dragging his feet or knowing where the sideline is still fatal to running them on a consistent basis.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoody
The game certainly has double and fade routes. The problem is the "route based passing" really prevents them from being used effectively without user catching.

A QB should be able to throw on the final step of his drop, to a position where the WR will be. In Madden you tend to throw the ball to where your WR is. This usually turns every route into an instant curl, forcing the WR to stop, turn and catch the ball. This is also the reason Rocket Catching, in this and Maddens past as been so dominant.

The only exception continues to be slants and posts. For the most part slants lead the the WR almost too good. Posts sometimes work but it depends on the long accuracy and arm strength of the QB, so its difficult to know where the problem is. Sideline routes work, the issue of a WR not dragging his feet or knowing where the sideline is still fatal to running them on a consistent basis.
Not quite true, you can throw to a spot, like in APF2K8 but the window is very, very small. It's nigh impossible to do on Normal speed and greater, but I can do it fairly well on Very Slow speed on hard cuts. The problem is the defensive coverage doesn't work right. Instead of following the player, the DBs immediately cover the ball as soon as the ball is thrown. You can see them alter their path as soon as the ball leaves the QB's hand. This results in a LOT of turnovers. They need to fix the DB coverage, and then add in route based passing. Or rather, they have to fix both for passing of that nature to be viable. This is a little off topic though.

I'm really more curious if the WR's actually run the different route types with varying degrees of success, or if their RTE ability is a global attribute such that if they can run one route good they can run them all good. Hopefully that's clearer.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Does Madden 10 differentiate a WR's ability to run different types of routes? Like a drag, slant, in/out, post/corner, fade, double move and such?

I was thinking of a game where Troy Aikman was talking about Roy Williams and how he was struggling running a specific route (out route), but he was running the slants really well. Just curious if the game has it down to the level of detail.
No there is no differentiation. Would be great to adopt Possession WR, Deep threat and those types of labels and program those specific labels.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #5
All Star

OVR: 33

Reggie Wayne isn't as dominating as he should be in Madden. Heck, Jeremy Maclin is more useful with his 96 speed.

It feels annoying getting whipped around by Darius Heyward-Bey whilst Wayne remains next to useless.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 20

I think adding ratings for different types of routes would be a nice addition. Also adding in a route accuracy rating could really be cool. This way guys who run exact routes could be counted on more than usual as possession receivers as you know they will go the right depth and if they make the catch they won't come up short. Less accurate runners on the other hand you couldn't be so sure about. Also, this could really play into timing in route based passing. The current route running rating would then be called route cuts showing the skill a player has making cuts to get separation. Also, a rating for double routes would be a nice addition.

Another thing they really need to add in is the route based passing. I don't think you really need to even make this require a special button push like it did in previous maddens. Route based passing should just be what happens while a player is running his route. This would lead to a need for proper timing to make the quick passing game work making slants, quick ins, outs, and curls more difficult with guys who run less precise routes and making veteran guys who run precise routes like reggie wayne or marvin harrison a couple years back or jerry rice in when he was playing or whoever else very dangerous expecially while running their route.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez

As far as route running is concerned,Madden 10 doesn't diffrentiate WRs from CBs. Pick a team and edit the CBs to WRs and see if you feel a difference.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacho
As far as route running is concerned,Madden 10 doesn't diffrentiate WRs from CBs. Pick a team and edit the CBs to WRs and see if you feel a difference.
Wow... I didn't know that. Please don't tell me any more! hehe

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »