Home

2k8's Ratings or Maddens old number system?

This is a discussion on 2k8's Ratings or Maddens old number system? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
ESBC Roster - The Best We've Ever Seen in a Boxing Game?
PES 2021 Team Spirit Guide - Understand Chemistry on a New Level
MLB The Show 21 Diamond Dynasty Budget Beasts
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
View Poll Results: Which Ratings System Would You Prefer?
APF 2k8 32 36.78%
Madden's same old # system 30 34.48%
Other(Combine #s, Physical(Height + Weight = Strength, etc)etc. 25 28.74%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2009, 07:36 PM   #17
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: 2k8's Ratings or Maddens old number system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
I personally, would like to hear from people their ideas of replacing the current number system. IMO if it aint broke dont try and get rid of it right? It allows for basic and in depth use of your roster. Any suggested system, has to appease to both hardcore and casual gamers to be successful.
I think that this is one of the real benefits to my proposed system. It really allows a player to casually evaluate his roster and do it in a more realistic and even more effective manner to fit his style while allowing a large amount of in depth detail to be brought in for the hardcore users.

The evolution to a head coach style system style system will allow for a more effective overall rating to be used by the casual gamer or by the cpu allowing them to more accurately chose the best player to fit their system with just a quick glance.

Also, with the seperate areas, Speed (an athleticism overall containing speed, acceleration, agility, etc), Strength (similar to the speed area but containing all strength ratings), intangebles(contains things like accuracy ratings, catching ratings, moves ratings, and route running ratings), mental(contains awareness, vision, play recognition, and hopefully more added mental ratings), size(a rating based on height/weight for the position and philosophy), learning(based off of playbook learning hopefully if added and also if added a skill learning rating), and production(based off of stats accumulated as opposed to average stats for a starter in the position) would really help with casual to moderate roster users. A quick scanning of these few overalls will allow slightly more info to be taken in than just the regular overall allowing you to know your players better and make better decisions but without having to truly delve into the ratings.

For the hardcore users first off there needs to be a lot more ratings added to really allow them to lose themselves in all the ratings and ways of differentiate these players giving them that constant search for those players who perfectly fit their system. The advancements I proposed to scouting and adding ambiguity could really also add a lot for them bringing some of that realistic unknown into the game.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:39 PM   #18
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

APF did it real nice with different animations for different skills. Madden is more about 'ratings = results' without the animations.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #19
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
APF did it real nice with different animations for different skills. Madden is more about 'ratings = results' without the animations.
Well, really madden is more along the lines of 'ratings mean nothing' without the animations.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 26

kcarr, I completely agree that madden needs to switch to a HC 09 franchise setup. HC did so many things well that I find it extremely disheartening that they refused to change the franchise much when they already have a blue print of the future.

Its like they built this futuristic house that will produce its own power, water,food, and is eco friendly...But instead of building that house they build a single story house brick house with standard features compared to last years home. The only addition was some new tile/flooring and an above ground pool.(the tile/flooring refer to tweaking the stats and the pool is the added potential/change in progression/draft classes)

Im left comparing the two houses and going "Why would you keep building something so standard and awful...When you already have the future standing right in front of you"
Old 11-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
First off this would take a lot of the guesswork out of who can make these switches. Secondly, what about DEs who have to drop back onto coverage in a zone blitz play?
Since when do coaching staffs guess when evaluating players ? They look at film ; the put players through various drills to guage what they can and can't do.

Just because a DE drops into coverage every once and a while on a zone blitz, doesn't mean that they can make the switch to OLB in a 3-4 scheme. When DEs do that in a 4-3 scheme, the point is to suprise the QB; for the most part, if a player has his hand on the ground, he's going to rush the QB. Some zone blitzes have DTs dropping; surely, it isn't ideal to have a 300+ players dropping into coverage on a regular basis.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmacho
Since when do coaching staffs guess when evaluating players ? They look at film ; the put players through various drills to guage what they can and can't do.

Just because a DE drops into coverage every once and a while on a zone blitz, doesn't mean that they can make the switch to OLB in a 3-4 scheme. When DEs do that in a 4-3 scheme, the point is to suprise the QB; for the most part, if a player has his hand on the ground, he's going to rush the QB. Some zone blitzes have DTs dropping; surely, it isn't ideal to have a 300+ players dropping into coverage on a regular basis.
Guess may not be exactly the right word but it sure isn't a 100% accurate deal either. They do try to find as much info as possible before trying to make such a switch but it still is closer to a guess than a 100% sure thing.

I agree that just because a DE drops into coverage doesn't mean he can switch to OLB. Just because a OLB can drop into coverage doesn't mean he can play corner. Just because a DT can catch the ball on an interception once in a while doesn't mean he can play WR. I didn't say that the DE should have as high over coverage ratings as the OLB, just that he can drop back into coverage and therefore needs ratings to determine success rate.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:47 AM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Why not just leave them in and make them like a 1 or something?

The exceptions would be then those with 60s or whatever - high at those "secondary" skills for their position.

Far easier and more consistent from a programming standpoint and still accomplishes the same thing.

The real problem with the ratings as they are now, imo, is they don't mean enough, not that a OL has a 5 in RTE. The problem is that 5 doesn't really make him suck at running routes.
That works fine if you keep Madden's old number system the way it is now. I was proposing a combo of 2k8's ability system and Madden's numerical system. There would still be a number system, but certian players would have attributes that other players wouldn't. The ratings would be more specific to the position. For example, WRs would have ratings for every route.

In my opinion, there are already too many ratings. I'm no programmer, but the myriad of ratings may be what is causing the ratings to be irrelevant. If there were ratings for every route, there wouldn't be any need in giving a olineman or Dlineman ratings for every route.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
Guess may not be exactly the right word but it sure isn't a 100% accurate deal either. They do try to find as much info as possible before trying to make such a switch but it still is closer to a guess than a 100% sure thing.

I agree that just because a DE drops into coverage doesn't mean he can switch to OLB. Just because a OLB can drop into coverage doesn't mean he can play corner. Just because a DT can catch the ball on an interception once in a while doesn't mean he can play WR. I didn't say that the DE should have as high over coverage ratings as the OLB, just that he can drop back into coverage and therefore needs ratings to determine success rate.
A DE doesn't have to be that good at zone coverage to drop back into a zone blitz. Most DEs in the NFL aren't good at zone coverage. The zone blitz is almost like a trick play on defense in the sense that it looks like the area is going to open due to the LB blitzing, but the DE drops in his place.

Dropping back in a zone blitz is one thing; trying to battle WRs and TEs in zone coverage on a regular basis is a whole different ball game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »