Home

What's the best way to treat your secondary when you're blitzing?

This is a discussion on What's the best way to treat your secondary when you're blitzing? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-23-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 26
What's the best way to treat your secondary when you're blitzing?

Should I tell the corners to play back so that we don't give up a deep route since there's probably no safety help?

Should I move the corners closer to the receivers so that quick routes might be negated and we'll have a better chance to get to the QB or intercept/knock down a pass?

What do they do IRL? I'm no football playcalling expert by any means
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: What's the best way to treat your secondary when you're blitzing?

There are so many other factors involved. Are you playing online? What team do you use?
Old 11-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolouis
There are so many other factors involved. Are you playing online? What team do you use?
Online or not, I use the Eagles. But let's just assume I'm playing offline for sake of realism.

Now that you mention "other factors," I assume that since the Eagles (when healthy) have a great secondary, pressing the secondary up might not be a terrible idea.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 20

Some factors you have to take into account are down and distance, the receivers you are facing, and tendencies of the opponent.

In short distance situations if you are going to blitz you probably need to press. Otherwise you will give up easy first downs.

If they are in passing situations, 3rd and long or second and very long, then pressing can lead to giving up a big play so you want to play either standard depth or backed off.

Also, if the opponent has beaten you often in one area or another you have to adjust. Other things to take into account are the speed of their receivers and how many you are blitzing. If you still have one safety over top and they only have one deep threat receiver then you can use the safety to cover there and be more aggressive pressing. Same can be said of situations where your corners are all faster than those they are guarding. If they can keep up then pressing won't hurt so much.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
Some factors you have to take into account are down and distance, the receivers you are facing, and tendencies of the opponent.

In short distance situations if you are going to blitz you probably need to press. Otherwise you will give up easy first downs.

If they are in passing situations, 3rd and long or second and very long, then pressing can lead to giving up a big play so you want to play either standard depth or backed off.

Also, if the opponent has beaten you often in one area or another you have to adjust. Other things to take into account are the speed of their receivers and how many you are blitzing. If you still have one safety over top and they only have one deep threat receiver then you can use the safety to cover there and be more aggressive pressing. Same can be said of situations where your corners are all faster than those they are guarding. If they can keep up then pressing won't hurt so much.
I should have known all that, but it just slipped my mind. Props.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-24-2009, 01:17 AM   #6
Rookie

ridemooses's Arena

OVR: 8

I like pressing when I blitz especially CB's I think it gives your guys the best shot at a sack or forcing a bad throw. But, if they do get picked up you can give up a big play. Usually I can tell playing online when someone is good at noticing and reacting to blitzes and when others are not. . . I love it when they are not
Old 11-24-2009, 02:57 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 7

I always press if I blitz from man. Usually if I blitz from man I bring 6 and man up to all the eligibles. I usually move the Safety covering the HB over the middle and cover myself. I like to save my man blitzing for long yardage situations when I know the opponent is less likely to try and dump off short.

I also press frome Zone blitzes when a CB is rushing because it puts him on the line giving less space between him and the QB. If I dont have a corner blitzing from zone, I don't press. If I'm blitzing the right safety I always show blitz, if its the left safety I stay pat. I've never dropped coverage back on a blitz, at least not yet.

Last edited by MAHAM; 11-24-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:25 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

previous posters are all pretty much right, depends on the situation.

In general you want to press, but depending on your slider set (DB/WR interaction) and corners this can be borderline useless against elite receivers. Standard depth and hope to make the tackle on the slant or in. If you play as the FS or SS, you have a little more control in stopping short routes as you can kind of roam the center of the field.

I generally let me level of desperation determine how aggressive I play when blitzing . When you can't seem to interrupt the flow of an offense (kurt warner has completed 10 straight passes pops up in between plays...) or need a big stop = more blitzers, at the line in gaps, and press, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »