Home

Ability to make Defensive reads...

This is a discussion on Ability to make Defensive reads... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
Rookie

bhackler's Arena

OVR: 3
Ability to make Defensive reads...

... on offense PRE SNAP.

Would it be so hard to be able to look over the defense, pre snap, when you're on offense, maybe pull the left trigger (for example), then be able to highlight potential blitzers to prioritize blocking.

I mean this could be done in a SICK way. Pull the left trigger, it goes into a sort of firt person view from the QB's perspective, you can scan the D, identify potential threats, and click on them to call them out to make sure the rest of the line recognizes it too. There could even be a metered system that comes up above the Defensive players heads that is full and red for HIGH THREAT or only partially filled up and GREEN for a less likely blitzer. A QB's "read defense" attribute makes these more accurate and reliable. Just spitballing here, but I feel like this is needed.

We not only see this on Sunday, we see it on every play of every game.

But hey, we got handwarmers!!!!

Sliding protection is nice but it'd also be WAY nice to pick out the blitzers and alert the otherwise clueless line to their intent.

Last edited by bhackler; 11-23-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 4
Re: Ability to make Defensive reads...

You're already able to assign blocking directions to your to your players using a hot route. It's fine the way it is.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Rookie

bhackler's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh348
You're already able to assign blocking directions to your to your players using a hot route. It's fine the way it is.
Yeah man, you're right, blocking is just AWESOME the way it is. Good call. What was I thinking?
Old 11-23-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh348
What do you mean by this? He is talking about specifically detecting blitzers and then alerting the line as to who is coming. You can't do this in Madden.

I think this is an OUTSTANDING idea. It would need some refining, obviously, but it is the best "line call" feature implication suggestion that I have seen so far. Good job.

One thing that I could see being a problem is what buttons you use for what. You would also need a way to identify if there is a zone blitz coming (or who is dropping back into coverage on the line, more specifically) and also this would be a great way to implement double teams.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 11

A.I. would also have to be written so that the CPU could do the same thing. Another bonus benefit would be that the CPU wouldn't always just walk up to the line and snap the ball anymore, so more time would run at the point of the snap giving players more time to make defensive adjustments and also allowing a more realistic amount of time to run off the clock without using accelerated clock.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #6
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Fantastic idea. You can hot route guys to block a certain direction, but spotlighting certain players would be great as the next step up.

The post could've done without the snarky "But hey, we got handwarmers!!!!" comment though.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 5

i think the AI is designed to do this already. the only way to really beat the pass blocking AI is to overload a side, bring 6 or 7 guys, or nano. in real life overloading a side the way its done in madden would result in a run play to the opposite side for a 1st down every time.

I like the idea but I think its covered in the game already.

To make what you're asking for necessary madden would have to increase the effectiveness of the 5 and 6 man rush. honestly the only time y line doesn't handle pressure is if i send out 5 receivers or an O lineman just gets beat on his assignment.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

I like this idea. Even if there wasnt a new "system" put into the game to recognize and assign offense blockers to the defense it would been cool if they could atleast have more animations where the quaterback points out certain personel on the defensive side.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »