Home

"Pinch" and "Spread OL Assignment and the Run Game

This is a discussion on "Pinch" and "Spread OL Assignment and the Run Game within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
ESBC Roster - The Best We've Ever Seen in a Boxing Game?
PES 2021 Team Spirit Guide - Understand Chemistry on a New Level
MLB The Show 21 Diamond Dynasty Budget Beasts
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-25-2009, 11:46 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: "Pinch" and "Spread OL Assignment and the Run Game

Actually, a popular "strategy" site suggests doing the oline assignment opposite of the direction you are running and it has been my experience that this is actually very effective.

If you are running a play between the guards you do aggressive, if you are running outside the RG, then you line audible left and vice versa! Very counter intuitive, but it really does seem to work the majority of the time - although you do have to take into account the defensive front you are running against as some plays will get blown up no matter the oline adjustment because the D front has an advantage against that particular play!

I am playing with my own sliders and the custom difficulty set to 14 for all 4 main settings, all the cpu skills set to 65 except QB accuracy (50/default) and fumble (set to 30 cuz otherwise I never cause any fumbles)!

On those settings, with a very good running Offense I have really racked up the yards using the opposite OL adjustment "glitch" - I say glitch because it is one of the many counter-intuitive things within Madden gameplay!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
It is logical that if the playart changes it is acknowledging something going on in terms of line calls. I may have to look into aggressive line calls against soft zone defenses... I like that concept a lot.
I do this, and against weak fronts . . . and I like what I get from it.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:04 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins Pride
No one uses practice mode anymore? I mean ... set up a practice, run a few running plays and experiment and make the call yourself. it'll make you feel good.

Practice mode lacks the defensive dynamism, specific adjustments, and stick talent that I see online, and is therefore irrelevant.

My question here is for those who've played extensively online and have tried some or any of this in the run game. If that's not you, feel free to move on in silence. I'm interested in constructive feedback, not flippant and unhelpful remarks.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
Practice mode lacks the defensive dynamism, specific adjustments, and stick talent that I see online, and is therefore irrelevant.

My question here is for those who've played extensively online and have tried some or any of this in the run game. If that's not you, feel free to move on in silence. I'm interested in constructive feedback, not flippant and unhelpful remarks.
I am going to try tonight online. If you want to lab hit me up.

Peace
Old 11-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #29
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
The first thing to do is verify 'when' they work, and 'when' they don't. I know for the Iso play on the B Gap where the Guard pulled to block to the right that a shift to the right did not work at all though the play art did change.

Think we need to figure out if just works if it's opposite the side the player is moving, if a guard/tackle pulling affects the line, or if the type of run(inside gap run versus / outside run) may affect it.

Really shouldn't matter whether your online/offline for testing/verifying the scenarios above.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #30
Banned

dfos81's Arena

OVR: 16

Just to see what the O-line is actually doing is fine in practice mode.
I like using the aggressive call, it seems to get a hat on a hat faster. I really use them all though.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

The trick to getting the power-O, counter, stretch, and toss plays to work is to slide protect opposite the direction of the run.

So if you're running a play to the right, slide protect left.

Classic example of Madden logic going completely against common football logic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #32
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
The trick to getting the power-O, counter, stretch, and toss plays to work is to slide protect opposite the direction of the run.

So if you're running a play to the right, slide protect left.

Classic example of Madden logic going completely against common football logic.
I haven't had any problem with plays to the outside (not counting counter). Power-O, Toss, Stretch, Sweep are all money with Felix Jones. I'll definitely give a try with counter. Haven't had much luck with it and delay'd handoffs, but then I can't think of a game where a delay ever really worked well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »