Home

"Pinch" and "Spread OL Assignment and the Run Game

This is a discussion on "Pinch" and "Spread OL Assignment and the Run Game within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
ESBC Roster - The Best We've Ever Seen in a Boxing Game?
PES 2021 Team Spirit Guide - Understand Chemistry on a New Level
MLB The Show 21 Diamond Dynasty Budget Beasts
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-25-2009, 03:03 PM   #41
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: "Pinch" and "Spread OL Assignment and the Run Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Dunno what these magic formations are, but power O and toss plays work fine for me with the default Lions playbook.

You just need a speed back who can cut back and shoot through the inside lane when the defense overpursues outside.

Of the 2000+ yards I gained in our online franchise, at least 75% of those yards came off power Os, counters, and toss plays.
trust me there are a couple of "magic formations" in the game. All you have to do is spend one day playing online and observe every game and you will notice 1 formation in particular that is used over and over again and you will also notice you have to basically sell out on defense to stop it. That's what makes me mad with this sh*t every year with the playbooks. Visit most Madden sites and they are only talking about a couple of playbooks and it is because those books have the formations that as they say it are "fire," whereas the other books are just average. I hate that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Dunno what these magic formations are, but power O and toss plays work fine for me with the default Lions playbook.

You just need a speed back who can cut back and shoot through the inside lane when the defense overpursues outside.

Of the 2000+ yards I gained in our online franchise, at least 75% of those yards came off power Os, counters, and toss plays.
I can attest to that. You broke a 40+ yard run on me with a counter play when we played. That might've been the longest run I gave up all year!

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 11-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #43
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

If I remember correctly, though, all my other runs that game were for loss or no gain.

Just goes to show that the slide protection leaves you vulnerable in the A/B gaps when you call a shift to the right/left with the benefit of improved sealing around the perimeter.

As I recall, I finally got the edge sealed on that play, and the only reason that 40+ run didn't go for a TD was because Polamalu came blazing all the way from the other side of the field and chased it down from behind.

Last edited by jyoung; 11-25-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #44
Pro

OVR: 9

I think the slide,spread and pinch aren't as effective as we would like as we would like but I think they are serviceable if used sparingly and for quick hitters, it also depends on the ratings of both the offensive line and defensive line and the user themselves assuming we are not talking about coach mode. For instance and I'm speaking from my own personal experience: if you were to call a pass play and you got to the line of scrimmage and you saw the was overloaded to the left side you would either slide your back to that side assuming he' a good blocker and has good awareness. Now suppose you choose to slideyou offensive line protection to the left instead you have to know what defensive players are on that side what type of pass rusher is he, is the quick strong both what player is over loading that side a back safety what are their attributes then you must know everything about your offensive line their quickness strength pass blocking skills and most importantly their awareness can't stress that enough, and of course as you all well know this info and ajustments must be processed in seconds depending on what you have the accelerated clock on once the user processes this info they better have a hot reciver to get the to because the bocking will not hold up the a gaps my be protected for a fraction of second more but b gaps won't. As far as the run game goes I think outside runs fail mostly because the fullback fails to hold his block a lot of the time and other times miss their assignment completely again I'm baising this on my own experiences.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #45
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
If I remember correctly, though, all my other runs that game were for loss or no gain.

Just goes to show that the slide protection leaves you vulnerable in the A/B gaps when you call a shift to the right/left with the benefit of improved sealing around the perimeter.

As I recall, I finally got the edge sealed on that play, and the only reason that 40+ run didn't go for a TD was because Polamalu came blazing all the way from the other side of the field and chased it down from behind.
I would love it if "up" meant attention to A + B gaps and L/R meant block down one man in either direction for each player with an inside-out BOB assignment for the FB.

The trick is figuring out if there's any consistency to what these commands do to the line as whole on run downs.

I've been able to figure out that in certain formations and with certain plays, the L/R will create a block down on a DT in the A gap or will cause the TE to crash hard on the OLB or DE that he'd normally pass by in pursuit of a S, but it doesn't always produce a full set of OL relationships that I can comprehend as a pattern.

The reason I ask is because I struggle at times offensively against 34 type teams with good A gap pressure--NYJ, NE, PIT, BAL. When facing a powerful blitz, I really just want to be able to run the ball right down it's throat, but I need to know if there are any adjustments besides what's in the basic play call that will help direct my OL and FB's attention to that specific gap.

Obviously, there's no magic bullet; a well-timed blitz is just a bear to deal with no matter what you have called and it's one of the prettier things in football--not to mention that it takes very good offensive execution to make a blitz pay. I'm just wondering if there's anything "extra" you can do to get the offense to focus on that area.

Thanks for all the constructive feedback thus far!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
I would love it if "up" meant attention to A + B gaps and L/R meant block down one man in either direction for each player with an inside-out BOB assignment for the FB.

The trick is figuring out if there's any consistency to what these commands do to the line as whole on run downs.

I've been able to figure out that in certain formations and with certain plays, the L/R will create a block down on a DT in the A gap or will cause the TE to crash hard on the OLB or DE that he'd normally pass by in pursuit of a S, but it doesn't always produce a full set of OL relationships that I can comprehend as a pattern.

The reason I ask is because I struggle at times offensively against 34 type teams with good A gap pressure--NYJ, NE, PIT, BAL. When facing a powerful blitz, I really just want to be able to run the ball right down it's throat, but I need to know if there are any adjustments besides what's in the basic play call that will help direct my OL and FB's attention to that specific gap.

Obviously, there's no magic bullet; a well-timed blitz is just a bear to deal with no matter what you have called and it's one of the prettier things in football--not to mention that it takes very good offensive execution to make a blitz pay. I'm just wondering if there's anything "extra" you can do to get the offense to focus on that area.

Thanks for all the constructive feedback thus far!
Good luck trying to run in this game. I try not to give up on it and won't, but I get fed up with it pretty damn quickly.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #47
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Good luck trying to run in this game. I try not to give up on it and won't, but I get fed up with it pretty damn quickly.
I was pleased with Ronnie Brown's performance. I played all 16 league games, and averaged 4.7 YPC with 11 TDs. It felt pretty balanced in terms of production--I had some good games vs. good defenses, got shut down by some great defenses, beat up a few weak defenses, and even had surprise games where weak fronts stymied me.

I'm just on a quest for a more detailed understanding of what you can do in the run game. Knowledge is power!
Old 11-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #48
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Autumn Wind
I was pleased with Ronnie Brown's performance. I played all 16 league games, and averaged 4.7 YPC with 11 TDs. It felt pretty balanced in terms of production--I had some good games vs. good defenses, got shut down by some great defenses, beat up a few weak defenses, and even had surprise games where weak fronts stymied me.

I'm just on a quest for a more detailed understanding of what you can do in the run game. Knowledge is power!
I would tell you those formations but I don't want everyone in our league using them. I don't use them now, but I know a couple of teams they have the one formation in their playbooks and when I play them and played HIM (hint) he didn't run the formation so I'm not going to say anything. But this formation guarantees that you will get a good running game going. And if you learn how to pass in it, you are good to go.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »