Home

What ever happened to the sideline catching we were promised?

This is a discussion on What ever happened to the sideline catching we were promised? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
ESBC Roster - The Best We've Ever Seen in a Boxing Game?
PES 2021 Team Spirit Guide - Understand Chemistry on a New Level
MLB The Show 21 Diamond Dynasty Budget Beasts
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 11-27-2009, 12:01 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: What ever happened to the sideline catching we were promised?

The sideline catches you guys are referring to are horrible, yeah they are there but they suck compared to the ones on last gen, the animations suck and the fact that only really high SPC guys make them is stupid, not saying that all players should be successful at them but most players don't even "attempt" them!!! It needs fixed for next year in a bad way.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:35 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 15

The worst part is when you think a WR is in bounds and you go to review only to see that his foot did a phantom push off. Where it looks like his foot should hit the ground but another animation kicks in that brings his foot back up in the air without ever pushing off the ground.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:30 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
The worst part is when you think a WR is in bounds and you go to review only to see that his foot did a phantom push off. Where it looks like his foot should hit the ground but another animation kicks in that brings his foot back up in the air without ever pushing off the ground.
yeah, i used to get that one a decent amount of times...cringe worthy to say the least
Old 11-27-2009, 06:53 AM   #20
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

I've seen it quite often in online games. I really love the way the game glitches and locks up for about 10 to 20 seconds every time the sideline animation runs, NOT! Maybe the second patch will fix this?
Old 11-27-2009, 07:52 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 17

Their idea of toe dragging and sideline catches in general is just absurd. It's not even marginally close to the real thing. It's near impossible to throw to the sidelines. Your QB either throws it too far out of bounds, or your WR just catches it out of bounds and then you see the stupid ref animations.

The WR play needs a serious overhaul, I'm so sick and tired of it. You can't even make every day NFL throws that you see every goddamn week because the game engine is so outdated. WR's have no life whatsoever. They don't go after the ball, there are no battles between DB's/WR's. If you let the ball hang in the air for a deep throw, 4 DB's are all over it because they run at the speed of light somehow.

The lack of toe dragging, and throwing towards out of bounds seriously ruins the red zone play too. It takes away so many fun WR options from the game, since you can't throw anywhere near the sides or back of the end zone or it's out of bounds every time, or if you're playing with a Moss or something, he'll make an ugly poorly animated catch that looks more like a glitch than a fluid animation.

One of the funnest things about a football game should be the WR/QB play, and it's far from it in Madden. And yes, I do recall the blog about how sideline catches were fixed and in the game this year. I guess adding a stupid ref cutscene is their idea of fixing it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #22
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

I saw it more frequently on slower game speeds
Old 11-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #23
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

I surprised that spectacular catch is used to determine the foot drag animation. I'm fairly certain that APF2K8 must have a unique rating for this ability as their is an emblem for it called 'Magic Feet'.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW McGraw
I'm fairly sure there was a blog about how they would finally fix sideline catches and get them in the game, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen a sideline catch in a game. Did this idea just never materialize or is there some trick I'm supposed to do?
I guess we will have to wait till next year

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »