Home

Rebuilding with draft picks ?

This is a discussion on Rebuilding with draft picks ? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Rebuilding with draft picks ?

Trade all your players for 5th round picks and trade your hig draft picks for later picks unless you are absolutely in love with a guy. It is so easy to spot the gems and the steals in the later rounds based on their skill set graphs. The bigger the pantagon graph the better the player for most cases. Once you get the hang of spotting the gems in the late rounds, you can literally get 10 5th to 7th round players a year with 70-85 ovr and sign them to 7yr 310k deals. I have a monster 49ers franchise full of late round steals that are like 88 ovrs or higher with 88 million cap. Once their initail deals are up, im in trouble though lol
Old 11-27-2009, 08:26 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 13

I think you can do both, trade a couple older higher rated players for a early 1st, then use your higher pick to trade down, now you have to get rid of your late rd picks somewhere to do this, but if you pick guys based on if they fit what you want rather than their projection you will be fine. I drafted a WR in the 5th rd who was projected to be undrafted - he ended being my #2 WR after like 3 games, went to the PB, won OROY, and progressed like 8 points OVR in the first offseason!!!

I made like 6 trades the first year which is a ton, but four of them were me trading down in the draft to save money!
Old 11-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4

im currently in a Bucs franchise where i moved them to Orlando and changed them name to the Rush by using the Rhino logos.
I traded away most the team for picks and younger players.
If you scout well you will be abke to draft an all star team in about 3 years
Old 11-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #20
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuccNole17
It's called being a gm. Trading away old players for draft picks is realistic
I think he was saying that there are really not that many trades in the NFL.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:27 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuccNole17
It's called being a gm. Trading away old players for draft picks is realistic
Actually, you see over the hill players released a lot more then they are traded. Even when old players are traded, it's almost never for better then a third rounder.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #22
Rookie

BuccNole17's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boregard
I think you can do both, trade a couple older higher rated players for a early 1st, then use your higher pick to trade down, now you have to get rid of your late rd picks somewhere to do this, but if you pick guys based on if they fit what you want rather than their projection you will be fine. I drafted a WR in the 5th rd who was projected to be undrafted - he ended being my #2 WR after like 3 games, went to the PB, won OROY, and progressed like 8 points OVR in the first offseason!!!

I made like 6 trades the first year which is a ton, but four of them were me trading down in the draft to save money!
Good info...good feel good story too lol. This is the best idea so far. I just didn't want to draft someone in the 4th round or later and his overall be so low that I wouldn't be able to play him until 3 or 4 seasons down the road. I know that sometimes that will happen but I heard scouting was really easy so.

Thanks again for the replys guys.
NBA: Miami Heat
Old 11-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #23
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarantism
Actually, you see over the hill players released a lot more then they are traded. Even when old players are traded, it's almost never for better then a third rounder.
Yeah thats what I was saying. I try to keep it as real as possible and just release older players if they are asking for to much money and their ratings are falling off or re sign them for a couple of years while my younger guy matures. The only time I put a player on the trade block is if im pretty stacked at a position and can afford to let someone go to improve another position or if their salary hits the cap to hard and I know I'll need some room to sign other players in the off season.

Last edited by JayD; 11-27-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #24
Rookie

BuccNole17's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarantism
Good point. Yeah trades aren't the most common thing in the NFL, but there are a few. I do not want to cheat the system either (not sure if you can or not this year). I guess I mean trading away good players that do not fit my system as well as parting ways with older players. I was just wondering if there was value in the later rounds like the NFL. There are plenty of studs that were drafted in the 4th through 7th rounds. If there weren't any value in the late rounds then I would try to get as many early picks as possible. But since from what I have heard, Madden has plenty of sleepers. So instead of trying to get 2 first rounders, I will keep my 1 first round picks and see if I can get an additional 3,4,5 picks.
NBA: Miami Heat

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »