Home

Any Tips/Suggestions for my online Fantasy Draft tonight?

This is a discussion on Any Tips/Suggestions for my online Fantasy Draft tonight? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-02-2009, 07:15 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Any Tips/Suggestions for my online Fantasy Draft tonight?

Hey everyone, I have a online franchise fantasy draft tonight and am wondering if anyone has any tips on strategy and good players above there overall. Im not the greatest passer so strong chance I will wait on QB and WR. Im currently looking at players to find good value. Here's what I got so far at quick glance Ive found

SS Brandon Meriweather(young, tied for 6th fastest SS, best SS in Man, 4th best in zone)

TE Ingram, Beckum and Nelson(all rookies, all 80+ spd and cth)

Seen some low rated OLB's with good PMV and FMV going into the draft Ive not decided on if im gonna be running with a 3-4 or 4-3 will decide once I draft my first pass rusher I guess as Ive used both D's.

I played me friend a little while ago I was the Dolphins he was the Pats and Moss owned me. Hed outrun man with safety help, zone, heck on last play of 1st half i called prevent he caught a bomb broke a tackle and scored. Right after I played him again with Denver and Champ owned him so I think I want to draft a good secondary.

My possible strategy thus far
Strong secondary (I dont control them so want a good one)
Strong pass rush DE's or OLB's if go with 3-4
solid run game (Im not a good passer)
good return man (Ive had a fair bit of success with Ginn online and offline with Miami helps in field postion)
wait on pass game unless value is too high to pass up
and like fantasy football probably wait till end for K and P

Two last questions, How important do you think LB's are in the 4-3 (MLB's in the 3-4) and how important is OL???

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: Any Tips/Suggestions for my online Fantasy Draft tonight?

-Grab an elite QB if you get the chance too.
-Get Chris Johnson if you can but not over an eilite QB-Must have Rb is Reggie Bush. Goes up to a 90 as a WR.
-Draft atleast 5 OLB's and convert 2 to DE. Bertrand berry is a good one late.
-Draft for speed.
-FB Hillis is solid
Old 12-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 21

I always go Defense first in general. On offense I can dictate much more. On D, a pair of stud Safety's can be amazing. I'd personally recommend at least out of Reed, Sanders and Polamalu. Landry is good too. Don't worry about getting 2 FS or 2 SS, you can convert them to compliment each other. Remember, if you fake blitz formation your SS should be the big hitter and your FS should be your quick zone guy.

don't draft high-rated DEs early. you should be able to convert late-round, average OLBs too great DEs.

draft positions on defense that you don't control earlier than the players you dictate. I never control my CBs, so I like to get good ones early. However, I control my MLB, so somebody with good speed is much more important to me than a high OVR rating.

I also believe that OL ratings mean less than other positions. I did a fantasy draft in a franchise and my last 10 picks were all my OL and backups. Their ratings were all low-to-mid 70s OVR, and they still performed fairly well.

don't wait too long to get a QB. if you get a guy with really low accuracy it can be terribly frustrating. I feel like the deep pass is much harder than the shorter stuff (even with Brady-Moss) so a bleh QB like Pennington can be good if you run a lot of slants, drags, hooks, and screens.

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 12-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 20

The first thing to consider is with an online franchise how many years are you planning on going. If you are going several years in the future draft youth over older players, if not then go with talent.

Seeing as you don't seem to like to pass too much unless brees, brady, or manning are available I wouldn't draft a QB in the first few rounds. You can get a good young player who can really develop into something special in later rounds such as stafford, sanchez, flacco, ryan, henne, or even a guy with B potential like harrell or brennan who can atleast throw accurate passes in the short range game. Also, if a guy like peterson is available he is probably more valuable to you than an elite QB. However, you can get good value in later rounds so I usually would go defense before any of them so long as there is a top defender available.

To develop your running game though you need to get a few top notch olinemen and then fill out with guys like oher, andre smith, loadholt, mack, etc. Also, don't worry so much about the position of the linemen as you can move them all around pretty well, especially if you are going primarily with run blocking in each position. Also, a good blocking TE like petigrew or a good blocking FB can really be nice to have if they fall deep enough.

Defensively I play a 4-3 so my advice will be centered around that. If you go defense in the first round Nnamdi is a top corner and if available he is a top choice. He can pretty much completely take a WR out of the game. Willis is another potential 1st rounder, he will be the top LB in the league for several years. Mario Williams is another great choice even though you can get great value at the DE position later. He is a dominate DE great with all moves and great size and athletic ability.

Beyond the first round there are a lot of high value options available. Always be on the lookout for potential position changes. Manny lawson, Parys Harrylson, Kamerion Wimbly, Vernon Gholston, etc are all low rated OLBs to move to the DE position who are pretty dominant at the DE position. Unless you get a top DE you will want 2 of them, if you do have a dominant DE you will want 1. Conner barwin is also a guy I like at the DE position, very athletic with good speed. They don't give him the ability to play TE like he did in college but he is still a good player.

There are several good young corners like vontae davis, sean smith, DRC, etc who can become star shutdown corners eventually. If you play more zone malcolm jenkins is a great option too but I usually move him to safety. At DT there are some bigger DEs, especially guys who were DTs recently like evander hood or glenn dorsey if they moved him over to DE or others like that who you can move to DT and who will be very solid there.

Since you don't like to pass too much you won't want to go after top WRs so you need value there. Reggie bush is great moved there, devin hester is a great value pick with his speed, ramses barder, limas sweed, or malcolm kelly are all good big recievers. Chaz schillens can be pretty good too. Josh cribbs has some talent with his speed and his wildcat ability as well and he is a very good returner. Speaking of returners you will want either cribbs, hester, leon washington, reggie bush, or darren sproles to give you a top returner as without having the pass for big plays field position may become important.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 36

My All-Rookie/2nd Year Player picks (Not every position)

QB: Flacco, Tom Brandstater

HB: Moreno and Shady McCoy are awesome in-game.

WR: Kenny Britt and Crabtree are monsters.

TE: Jared Cook Jr. is only a 75, but plays like an 85.

OL: Do whatever you want

DE: Calais Campbell is really tall, good pass rusher...also look for Tyson Jackson 77

im gonna stop there...but you can get real good LBs, CBs, and Safeties later on if you wanted to.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 5

Don't reach for players.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
Rookie

ridemooses's Arena

OVR: 8

Take what's given to you and get a few offensive weapons (solid QB, decent WR and decent RB) then build defense. You can move the ball with almost any offense, but defenses are the key. Also, many players might over look solid O-linemen, see if you can catch a few steals in the 9th and 10th rounds.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
MVP

Hushroom's Arena

OVR: 10

Don't worry about O-line as they are all the same.
Milwaukee Bucks
Vegas Golden Knights

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »