Home

EA to focus on "quality games" in the future

This is a discussion on EA to focus on "quality games" in the future within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 4
EA to focus on "quality games" in the future

http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...51965220091201

"EA currently publishes more than 50 titles and plans to cut that back to about 40 next fiscal year to focus on quality games. Riccitiello said he could see EA publishing even fewer titles going forward."

"Riccitiello said there will always be a market for packaged games like its "Madden NFL" franchise..."

Oh really?

"Last month, EA posted a $391 million net loss in its fiscal second quarter and announced plans to cut about 1,500 jobs, or 17 percent of its workforce. The job cuts follow layoffs of 11 percent of EA's workforce last year. But Riccitiello stressed that the planned cuts were not the result of previous strategic missteps..."

Uh-huh.

"...but rather a move that better position the company for the future. That "means fewer titles, and needing less personnel against that side of the business," he said. "We thought of it as an offensive, positive step towards the evolution of our business."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Rookie

scfan919's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: EA to focus on "quality games" in the future

Seriously hope they keep the NCAA Football series around......wait......now that I think of it, maybe 2k will take it over
R.I.P. Kenny McKinley #11 Forever Eleven
Old 12-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
Rookie

tylerd02's Arena

OVR: 3

Good thing they bought all those development companies then shut them down. Sweet jesus i hate Electronic Arts, there management not there developers.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

Very doubtful they extend the exclusive license after the 2012 season. Especially considering the sales have been plummeting since they got it.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorrinRadd12
Very doubtful they extend the exclusive license after the 2012 season. Especially considering the sales have been plummeting since they got it.
It'll be interesting to see what happens with this.

Truly sad to see so many people losing their jobs. I've been there myself, through layoffs, strikes, and plant closings.

Kinda hate to see the exclusive license possibly end by way of sizable job loss, due to failing profits. But it sure would be great to have open competition again in football gaming. And who knows...maybe EA will discover competition is good for them too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
MVP

RumbleCard's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
It'll be interesting to see what happens with this.

Truly sad to see so many people losing their jobs. I've been there myself, through layoffs, strikes, and plant closings.

Kinda hate to see the exclusive license possibly end by way of sizable job loss, due to failing profits. But it sure would be great to have open competition again in football gaming. And who knows...maybe EA will discover competition is good for them too.
Its possible that they've failed to see the potential advantage of competition and a renewed interest in football gaming that would result from it. The competition shrinks and usually the market shrinks with it. I'd image a large amount of customers have stopped purchasing football games altogether. Competition may bring those buyers back to the market. A chance to earn business is better than no business at all.

In their eyes the loss would be greater than earned. The numbers have said differently.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1

Same here. Loosing a job... Worst. Feeling. Ever.

Luckily now I have a state job in public transit planning. And even that is far from secure, but more secure than the private industry.

Like these EA employee's who will be getting a pink slip because of poor management.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

You know the second fiscal quarter, the one where they posted losses, is the quarter furthest away from the release of Madden. That's actually the toughest time for video game companies across the board. The second fiscal quarter is Jan 1 - March 31. That is traditionally the time period where the fewest games come out, and the quality of those games is less (publishers seem to be actively trying to change that with the releases of BioShock 2 and Mass Effect 2 occuring during that quarter).

And Madden sales haven't gone down since they obtained the license. This year was the first year with a significant fall off, amid the worse recession since the 1970's, if not before that. Overall, the license has helped sales. I seriously doubt they let the license expire. The NFL prefers to have exclusive partners, and no one else can outbid EA. They may pay less for it this time around, but they'll still get it.

I do feel very bad for EA's employees that have been let go, but unfortunately this is something that's happening in a lot of companies. Video Games are a luxury good, so that industry is going to be hit very hard by any kind of recession.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »