Home

My New Vision Cone Idea. What do you guys think?

This is a discussion on My New Vision Cone Idea. What do you guys think? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
Rookie

muktownballer33's Arena

OVR: 5
My New Vision Cone Idea. What do you guys think?

Alright, so I was sitting at work last week when I thought of this idea of how Madden could better interpret quarterback awareness in this game. Everyone complains how the game really doesn't do a good job of differentiating between playing like Peyton Manning and Kyle Bollar. I know I've had my fair share of 400 yard passing games with J.T O'Sullivan in my time.

In my opinion, the best time QB awareness was every shown was when we had the QB vision cone back in the older maddens. Personally I liked it but I really didn't like how they implemented it. There were just too many buttons you had to push and it usually threw off my timing with the receivers which inevitably meant my controller was going airborne.

This made me wonder if they made the controls simpler would the vision cone be worth bringing back? With the original vision cone you had to lock onto a particular season pre-snap. Then once you hiked the ball you had to either move the right stick to highlight receiver or hit a button AND the receivers button to move the cone in order to throw it to him without having an inaccurate pass. For me it was just way to much to figure out while trying to not get blasted by the oncoming pass rush.

So what if they simplified the controls? If you took out having to move the cone yourself and instead the computer did if for you it would totally change the way the passing game is in this game.

Say I'm keyed on Greg Jennings the right side at the snap. Then right after the snap wanted to go the Donald Driver on the left side. Instead of me manually moving the cone, all I have to do is hit Drivers button and the cone will move itself before throwing the ball. Once the cone has moved to highlight Driver then Rodgers will begin his delivery. Hopefully this is making sense haha.

This would add such a great dimension to the passing game. Great quarterbacks would be able to quickly look over and hit any open receiver in stride. While bad quarterbacks would take time to highlight their targets which might disrupt the timing of the route causing more incomplete passes or interceptions. It would also add the ability to look off defenders which I've been dying to have in this game for a long time.

So let me know what you guys think. In my opinion it would really change the way the passing game works in this game. It's too easy for us to survey the field and throw all over the place for 400 yards a game with any quarterback there is. If done correctly gone would be the days of J.T. O'Sullivan going off on the Steelers D. It would lower the scores as the 80 yard bombs wouldn't be so automatic and would make a 300 yard 4 TD passing game feel like an accomplishment for the first time in years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: My New Vision Cone Idea. What do you guys think?

Yep, I suggested this exact thing earlier in the year when they did their fake cone blog for Madden 10. IMHO this is how the passing should be done. This would be extremely helpful for new players just picking up the game as you could color code the lanes (cones) for each button and have them glow brighter when a player is open.

I think this would be more of a beginner feature to help newer players undertsand how to play a game, rather than a way to play the game throughout.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9

I suggested something similar also. I think it's a good idea.
Fantasy football fans... Dominate your Draft with the #1 selling fantasy football app, Fantasy Football Cheat Sheet 2017 for iOS & Android.

Get it for iPhone / iPad!

Get it for Android!
Old 11-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 12

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ing-icons.html

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...awareness.html
Old 11-27-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Rookie

muktownballer33's Arena

EXACTLY!!!! This doesn't seem like it would be too hard to implement. It might annoy some of the casual madden gamers but make it so they can turn it on or off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by muktownballer33
EXACTLY!!!! This doesn't seem like it would be too hard to implement. It might annoy some of the casual madden gamers but make it so they can turn it on or off.
Great idea guys, the only thing, it shouldn't have the actual cone on the field for us to see because thats not realistic. It should be there but not for us to see on the field highlighted or anything.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
Rookie

muktownballer33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
Great idea guys, the only thing, it shouldn't have the actual cone on the field for us to see because thats not realistic. It should be there but not for us to see on the field highlighted or anything.

I agree. It should be optional to be on or off for people who are just learning. I just don't see how hard it would be to program this "behind the scenes" and make it how the computer interprets passing. It would make the passing game WAY more realistic and challenging then it is presently.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I think we should have what NFL Fever did back in 2005 I think. You would lock on to the WR, then there would be a circle you would control and pick where you would want to throw the ball. More accurate passers would hit the target consistently while inaccurate QBs would not hit it as much. It also allowed for "touch" to be put on the ball and made the passing game actually feel like you accomplished something.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »