Home

What is your opinion on the strength of the Saints?

This is a discussion on What is your opinion on the strength of the Saints? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
ESBC Roster - The Best We've Ever Seen in a Boxing Game?
PES 2021 Team Spirit Guide - Understand Chemistry on a New Level
MLB The Show 21 Diamond Dynasty Budget Beasts
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
View Poll Results: What is the Strength of the Saints?
Passing Game 31 88.57%
Running Game 0 0%
Something else. 4 11.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame
 
OVR: 40
Join Date: Jul 2002
Blog Entries: 8
Re: What is your opinion on the strength of the Saints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Balance.
^^^ This. People mistake the Saints for a pass heavy team. But they run the ball with the best of them. They are #4 in passing and #5 in rushing. That's pretty balanced IMO.
LBzrule is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
MVP
 
OVR: 41
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Blog Entries: 6
Re: What is your opinion on the strength of the Saints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
^^^ This. People mistake the Saints for a pass heavy team. But they run the ball with the best of them. They are #4 in passing and #5 in rushing. That's pretty balanced IMO.
But those numbers are skewed since most of those rushing yards and rushes come as they are closing out the game. During the game I see about 3 passes to 1 run until they get there big leads than as they say they bring in there closer Mike Bell and Thomas to run the clock out.

Its like when the Cardinals was #1 in rush defense this year by ranking but the reality was that they got there big leads and there opposing team would have to go to the air and abandon the run to catch up with them.

Its the same thing that happened to the 2005 Seahawks how they were ranked #4 in rush defense but the Seahawks were also the team that scored on there 1st drive in 13 of there games that year and than that 2005 team with Alexander started to pile on the points and teams had to play catch up through the air.
__________________
Operation Sports APF 2K8 Ladder:

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!
NFLHITMAN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
So long to a Legend.
 
ANDROMADA 1's Arena
 
OVR: 65
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: unknown
Posts: 5,034
Blog Entries: 103
Re: What is your opinion on the strength of the Saints?

The New Orleans Breeses are a passing team.They only run the ball to hold leads after scoring soooo much from the pass.Reginald Bush is a glorified short yardage wr.Ownership will send him packing next season.If he was such a running threat he would be used more as a running back but he is not.
ANDROMADA 1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame
 
OVR: 40
Join Date: Jul 2002
Blog Entries: 8
Re: What is your opinion on the strength of the Saints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLHITMAN
But those numbers are skewed since most of those rushing yards and rushes come as they are closing out the game. During the game I see about 3 passes to 1 run until they get there big leads than as they say they bring in there closer Mike Bell and Thomas to run the clock out.

Its like when the Cardinals was #1 in rush defense this year by ranking but the reality was that they got there big leads and there opposing team would have to go to the air and abandon the run to catch up with them.

Its the same thing that happened to the 2005 Seahawks how they were ranked #4 in rush defense but the Seahawks were also the team that scored on there 1st drive in 13 of there games that year and than that 2005 team with Alexander started to pile on the points and teams had to play catch up through the air.
This is not completely true though. I've seen some of their games where they set up the pass with the run. Most of the games prior to the Giants game they were balanced in run/pass ratio. Matter of fact going into the Giants game the talk in the NFL Network was their running game and how Sean Peyton has created a new scheme to confuse the DE's and Linebackers and how the Saints were gashing people with that and setting up the pass off of that.
LBzrule is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
MVP
 
OVR: 55
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Minnesota
Blog Entries: 29
Re: What is your opinion on the strength of the Saints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
This is not completely true though. I've seen some of their games where they set up the pass with the run. Most of the games prior to the Giants game they were balanced in run/pass ratio. Matter of fact going into the Giants game the talk in the NFL Network was their running game and how Sean Peyton has created a new scheme to confuse the DE's and Linebackers and how the Saints were gashing people with that and setting up the pass off of that.
Yeah, I've seen the Saints call a balanced game early on. I don't see them always airing it out as described. Of course they are deadly through the air, but they definitely keep it balanced.
__________________
Xbox Live Gamertag: CreatineKasey

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
CreatineKasey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #14
Rookie
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Aug 2008
Re: What is your opinion on the strength of the Saints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
This is not completely true though. I've seen some of their games where they set up the pass with the run. Most of the games prior to the Giants game they were balanced in run/pass ratio. Matter of fact going into the Giants game the talk in the NFL Network was their running game and how Sean Peyton has created a new scheme to confuse the DE's and Linebackers and how the Saints were gashing people with that and setting up the pass off of that.
this..ive watched just about every Saints game for the past 25 years(im a diehard)..the past years few have been pass heavy..thankfully, this year Payton has definitely changed his play calling...we use 3 backs throughout the game and they all get a decent amount of touches....it usually goes something like thomas/bush(when healthy) in the first half and thomas/bell in the 2nd...but they change it up depending on the opponent and who's got the hot hand

Last edited by tooldude79; 12-05-2009 at 11:15 AM.
tooldude79 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #15
Rookie
 
OVR: 5
Join Date: Aug 2008
Re: What is your opinion on the strength of the Saints?

Brees has 80 less pass attempts than Peyton Manning and both teams are 11-0...thats like 7.25 per game...which is a lot

Last edited by tooldude79; 12-05-2009 at 11:21 AM.
tooldude79 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #16
MVP
 
mm boost's Arena
 
OVR: 12
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Roanoke, VA
Re: What is your opinion on the strength of the Saints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLHITMAN
But those numbers are skewed since most of those rushing yards and rushes come as they are closing out the game. During the game I see about 3 passes to 1 run until they get there big leads than as they say they bring in there closer Mike Bell and Thomas to run the clock out.

Its like when the Cardinals was #1 in rush defense this year by ranking but the reality was that they got there big leads and there opposing team would have to go to the air and abandon the run to catch up with them.

Its the same thing that happened to the 2005 Seahawks how they were ranked #4 in rush defense but the Seahawks were also the team that scored on there 1st drive in 13 of there games that year and than that 2005 team with Alexander started to pile on the points and teams had to play catch up through the air.
But this is still a legit strategy of a balanced offense. If the playcalling is mostly pass at the beginning then mostly run at the end, if the numbers come out close in comparison, then that makes them balanced. Pass heavy would be considered the Florida Tebows, where they keep on passing the ball. When I played in college up until I graduated this past year, we were considered a balanced offense, but our quarterback threw over 4,200 yards with around 36 td's. People look at that and say, "they are pass heavy." But, you look at our rushing attack when we Had Ra'Shad Morgan, he ran over well over 1,000 yards; I can't remember the exact number, but it was really high. We balanced out our extremely successful passing attack with a dominate running game. The running game compliments the passing game and vice versa in a balanced offense, and this is definately how the Saints are. They have both.
__________________
Virginia Tech Hokies NCAA 2011 Dynasty Thread :
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...isfortune.html
(click this link for a good read and an in-depth storyline-driven dynasty, Hokies 5 year climb to the National Championship!)

mm boost is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:40 PM.

Top -