Home

Old 12-07-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
3 Headed Monster

Has anyone tried to run a 3 RB strategy like the one the Ravens had last season? I've been running one as best I can with quite a great deal of success (one game I had all 3 backs break 100 yards). I've added Lorenzo Neal to the roster to block when McClain is in there, so I've got some serious power out of the Jumbo set. And usually if one RB is having a tough day, someone else will be having a field day. I just switch sets to rotate the running back around so they all get a game (usually use Normal, Backup HB or Jumbo - last 2 vary in formations)

Would like to hear if anyone has tried this, and how they found it. And if there are any ways to improve it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
Rookie

jinc1019's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: 3 Headed Monster

I have not attempted this, although it sounds very interesting...I love a good ground game/defense. I have been toying with combining Adrian Peterson with another top back and doing some kind of duel RB formation rather than have a fullback out there all game. However, I don't want to sacrifice pass defense.

TEAMS:
Baseball: Red Sox
Basketball: Celtics, Duke, U Richmond
Football: Duke, U Richmond (FCS)
Old 12-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
Rookie

alcoholicstepfather's Arena

OVR: 3

In my Cowboys franchise, I started using Barber and Felix and put Choice as my 3rd down back. Choice wasn't getting enough carries since I was passing on 3rd down, so in the off-season I drafted Matt Clapp out of Oklahoma and moved Barber to Fullback. Then I subbed in Clapp in the I-Form sets. Using normal, HB sub and jumbo, I had pretty good results giving carries to all 3 backs.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
MVP

mm boost's Arena

OVR: 12

I have 3 headed monster with my cowboys franchise. I have a different running back for each formation. Example, Barber has the i-form inside run formations, felix gets the singleback and toss/sweep plays, and tashard choice does the weak-i formations and Wildcat. I always pile up some good rushing stats with this, and it works out in throwing a different look at the defense each time I come to the ball. I've had numerous games where at least 2 of em break 100 yards and the other is close behind, and some with all 3 over 100 yards. Just depends on their production. And what i do, is if one of them starts playing ****ty, then I sub him out of the sets he is in and leave in the 2 productive ones. It provides for a nice un-predictable offense.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Same here. I ran the Cowboys, and Choice only got the ball about 2 to 3 times a game. I tended to use him for my throwing downs (flats / screens). I traded him in the second season (whenever his contract was up) as I couldn't justify the $$$ to keep him when I had Barber / Felix. Quite honestly I'd trade Barber away, but Felix gets hurt way too often.

Any how, I picked up a scrub 67 C rated player with 99 Speed and high 90+ acceleration, and high 90 injury. Quite honestly the best way to run is to not be hit, and broken tackles aside, I can run just as well with the 67 as I can with the 90+ rated HBs. His one move is 'spin', which is perfect for me as it's the one I'm used to using from APF2K8 and I have the timing down dangerously well against the CPU (which can't tackle me if I use the move heh).

I guess I should ask, are you simming, or playing?

If playing, while in a game, setup your subs for each play / formation, and then call the plays you want to balance out the carries however you see fit. I try to give each HB his own formation, so when a play is called, I can look at the formation and know who is in the game without having to look at the numbers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2009, 10:22 AM   #6
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Like others have said, I too play with my favorite team, the Cowboys.

I was using a three headed monster up until my 3rd season. I was getting more production out of Choice and Jones than I was Barber. Plus, it was starting to feel like a crowded backfield, especially considering all the money that was tied up in the position (had to re-sign Choice as I didn't want him to get away).

Long story short, Patriots had Patrick Chung (SS) on the trading block and needed/wanted a quality RB. So I took their offer to add a key piece to my defense and haven't looked back.

Note: Valdarez, Jones gets hurt a lot in my franchise too! I never took the time to check out his injury rating though .
Old 12-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

I don't have any set formations for each RB, I mix it up all the time. I use the Ravens, so I don't have to sort out substitutions as such. I have Rice as #1, McGahee #2 and McClain as the FB. I've signed Lorenzo Neal, and just change the sets (Normal, Backup HB and FB Swap). So my sets run as Rice/McClain, McGahee/McClain and McClain/Neal. The Raven's unbalanced line formations with the McClain/Neal set is a beast in short yardage

The only thing I need to do is get a scatback that can catch so I can have 2 decent receivers out of the backfield in 2 HB sets. Then I'll need a new FB after this season as I'll have Neal retiring. Wonder if I'll hit 3000 yards on the year...
Old 12-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenWire
Has anyone tried to run a 3 RB strategy like the one the Ravens had last season? I've been running one as best I can with quite a great deal of success (one game I had all 3 backs break 100 yards). I've added Lorenzo Neal to the roster to block when McClain is in there, so I've got some serious power out of the Jumbo set. And usually if one RB is having a tough day, someone else will be having a field day. I just switch sets to rotate the running back around so they all get a game (usually use Normal, Backup HB or Jumbo - last 2 vary in formations)

Would like to hear if anyone has tried this, and how they found it. And if there are any ways to improve it

Yep, this is how I run the Ravens offense.

What I do is make Rice #1 HB. I set McGahee as the formation sub in some of the offset-I formations and use McClain for the tight-I formations (use the jumbo package) and make sure to call FB runs out of the other I formations.

I also try to use Rice in the passing game a lot. Raven Empty is a formation I like to use and sometimes use the formation sub the splits the HB out wide. Otherwise, I'll throw to him on swing routes and other out of the backfield routes (the light blue release routes) and the occasional slip screen.

I think it works pretty well. Like you, sometimes I notice one back having an awesome day. A lot of times, it's McGahee, especially if I lean on Rice a lot. I imagine that's mostly fresher legs in the 3rd/4th quarter against a tiring defense, especially if we've moved the ball well on the ground.

I haven't had 3 100-yd rushers, but I've had both Rice and McGahee with a high average and McClain with a decent one (and usually a TD). I've run the ball as much as 40-45 times with Rice and McGahee getting about 17 a piece and McClain the rest.

Works to eat the clock, even if it struggles, and I think it's a nice strategy for them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »