Home

Whats wrong with the 2009 stat engine?

This is a discussion on Whats wrong with the 2009 stat engine? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Whats wrong with the 2009 stat engine?

I remember a feature of last years game was realistic stats, and I remember everything seeming really realistic in 09 before a patch. they said in an interview for 09 they based it off of the past 5 years in real nfl stats and made it so players would produce simialir #s compared to the average over the last 5 years. It seems like they trashed that idea, any body know why?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: Whats wrong with the 2009 stat engine?

I am not going to spend the time to find the quotes but, form Looman (I think):

We don't have time (I think money or approval from those that allow them to spend it) to completely start with a new stat engine (redo all the coding).

The coding is VERY VERY touchy and it isn't possible to get perfect results with that current engine (Same one from 09).

I am pretty sure someone, probably Looman, said similar statements about the progression system.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
I bent my Wookiee!

alifeincomplete's Arena

OVR: 11

It wasn't this bad pre-patch #2. I don't like having 1-3 HBs with 2,000+ yards a season every season.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4

i dont think its the stat engine.
i think its the coaching sliders.

i finally took the time out to start a 32 team chise and adjusted the sliders for each team. i got realistic stats and i havent even d'l patch 2 yet.
the only thing is i noticed that after every year or every other year atleast you should change the sliders do to new coaches and/or players to each team.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
Banned

bill2451's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaW97
i dont think its the stat engine.
i think its the coaching sliders.

i finally took the time out to start a 32 team chise and adjusted the sliders for each team. i got realistic stats and i havent even d'l patch 2 yet.
the only thing is i noticed that after every year or every other year atleast you should change the sliders do to new coaches and/or players to each team.
its definately the stat engine... sure coaching sliders can help things and get pretty solid results (arent I the one that showed you what I do pre patch #2 to do that lol), but the stat engine in general is pretty poor. And some things, like OLB sacks, RB TD's, etc are impossible to fix

now post patch #2, a lot of RB's are averaging 6+ ypc, and no coach sliders can change that... sure you can completely reduce the # of carries RB's get to lower their total yards, but regardless they are still averaging 6+ yards a carry
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2009, 12:09 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2451
its definately the stat engine... sure coaching sliders can help things and get pretty solid results (arent I the one that showed you what I do pre patch #2 to do that lol), but the stat engine in general is pretty poor. And some things, like OLB sacks, RB TD's, etc are impossible to fix

now post patch #2, a lot of RB's are averaging 6+ ypc, and no coach sliders can change that... sure you can completely reduce the # of carries RB's get to lower their total yards, but regardless they are still averaging 6+ yards a carry
EXACTLY!
Old 12-08-2009, 12:30 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2451

actually i was able to get realistic OLB sacks and RB td's with adjusting the coaching sliders(and thank you and anyone else who posted about coaching sliders).

the thing is some 3-4 teams arent even listed as 3-4 teams. so i changed that and set they're DE's to run stoppin with the priority low and set the OLB's to coverage with the priority pretty high.
with those adjustments my OLB sack totals were realistic.

im really considering not d/l the patch till the last roster update as longs i can get good result wit the sliders.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:09 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by stux
I am not going to spend the time to find the quotes but, form Looman (I think):

We don't have time (I think money or approval from those that allow them to spend it) to completely start with a new stat engine (redo all the coding).

The coding is VERY VERY touchy and it isn't possible to get perfect results with that current engine (Same one from 09).

I am pretty sure someone, probably Looman, said similar statements about the progression system.
SMDH....

How logical is that? That just shows the ignorance that EA currently has. By logic, I am referring to critical thinking skills that they are lacking if this is their given philosophy on future products.

They produced a product, Head Coach 07/09, and they refuse to allow the money/time to be spent to use that data in the future editions of madden? Instead, they are content to allow madden to be built on faulty...nvm its not really worth it...If its been said once its been said a million times Madden only exists in its current state because of the obvious

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »