Home

Quick offline Franchise question

This is a discussion on Quick offline Franchise question within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Which option is the best?
Sign Jake Long and trade Joe Thomas 1 11.11%
Sign Jake Long and move Joe Thomas to C 4 44.44%
Pass on Jake Long. 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 12
Quick offline Franchise question

Ok, so I'm in the offseason after the 2013 season with a created cupcake team I'm rebuilding. I replaced the Browns and kept a few players, one was LT Joe Thomas. Thomas has been named OL of the year for the past 3 years, but in the FA signing period Jake Long is available. I like Long a lot, so I really want to sign him, but I already have an elite LT so I'm not sure what to do. I've narrowed it down to 3 options:

1. Sign Long and trade Joe Thomas away (he's got 1 year left on his contract, so it won't be too bad of a cap hit) for either picks or a position I need help with (mainly DE, C, and OLB).

2. Sign Long and move Thomas over to C, the one position on the OL that I need a good deal of help with.

3. Suck it up and pass on Long and keep Thomas at LT.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Quick offline Franchise question

Why not move Long to RT? Or Thomas to RT and move your RT to center?

Last edited by spanky23; 12-07-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Well, it seems like you have two options really. If it's 2013, Thomas & Long have to be getting up there in age. OL doesn't effect it too much, other than it being a stud OL & costing quite a big chunk of cap.

I would either sign Long, play him at T, move Thomas to G/C, and trade Thomas next year after franchising him or pass on Long altogether, continue to trade Thomas after next year, and try to pick up a replacement in the draft. Generally speaking I err on the side of caution with aging players & would opt to pass on Long (and his massive contract) and go for youth in the draft in 2014.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky23
Why not move Long to RT? Or Thomas to RT and move your RT to center?
I have an elite RT already, my C is the only player I have that is below 90 OVR on the OL. Thomas is a few years older than Long, who is really in the prime of his career (he's 27-28). Here's what my line looks like

LT: Joe Thomas - 98 OVR
LG: Lonnie Edwards (drafted last year) - 91 OVR
C: Ryan Pickett (needs replacing) - 87 OVR, but lets in a ton of pressure/sacks
RG: Eduardo Pita - 90 OVR, not terribly impressed with him
RT: Forget his name - 96 OVR, drafted out of OU in the 2010 draft
Old 12-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 9

I say sign Long and play a year with him and Thomas, then draft/sign a replacement for Thomas when his contract is up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Dont trade. If he has a significant bonus it will effect your cap next year and you dont want to get into cap trouble with a cupcake team that your rebuilding. I say pass and spend your money elsewhere
Old 12-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Hays
Dont trade. If he has a significant bonus it will effect your cap next year and you dont want to get into cap trouble with a cupcake team that your rebuilding. I say pass and spend your money elsewhere
Thomas' remaining bonus isn't that big. I have a ton of cap room because most of my backups are the terrible cupcake players that the team started with, so they don't take up much cap/salary.

What I wanted ended up not mattering because Long apparently wanted to play with the Patriots instead of the defending Super Bowl Champions.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »