Home

Madden 10: the good, the bad and whats needed

This is a discussion on Madden 10: the good, the bad and whats needed within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #1
All Star

schnaidt1's Arena

OVR: 23
Madden 10: the good, the bad and whats needed

with the recent release of the 2nd title update for madden 10 and no reason to believe we will be getting a 3rd, i have decided to give my imput on madden 10. first things first....the good

THE GOOD: madden 10 did make some great strides this year...and really, we owe it all to Ian cummings. I wish Ian was on the madden team of 06, just think of where the game could be right now. hopefully he continues to deliver improvements the community has been deprived of for way to long, now here is my list (in no particular oder) of the things i think madden did well on this year.

1. the draft: adding first round busts, 5th and 6th round gems...really adds to the fun and excitement of building your team in franchise mode.

2. qb throwing styles: adding signature qb throwing styles makes the game def feel more lifelike

3. pro-tak: yes it has its flaws, but none the less a great idea that they have turned into a great in game addition with some of the tuning they have done via title updates.

4. presentation: now hold on, let me clarify before ppl freak out on me....im referring to cut scenes.....this does was def a welcome addition to this game, now lets just hope they add more of them

5. Life like counterparts: making players look like their life like counter parts was def a must and thank you for finally delivering on this.

now for my bad, i am not gonna sit here and trash madden, i have no reason too, this is the first madden since 2004 i have played for more than a month, i am still playing it now. these are just things i have to wonder how the developers let be in this game.

1. Tom hammond: i mean really, we are in 2009....and this game has the worst commentary of any sports game ever! madden 2000 with pat summeral and john madden blow this out of the water.

2. Presentation: yes they did add cut scenes....but thats it. now i am def not gonna sit here and start comparing nfl 2k5 vs madden 10...they have forums for that. but i will say this. 2k5 had its gameplay flaws as well, but why many people still love the game and play it is for 1 reason..presentation. madden 11 really needs to up their presentation, and i will get into that a little later.

3. the a.i.: tell me how i can be playing a great defensive game....then all of the sudden when the other team is down 6...they just march down the field on me and score a touchdown in the final seconds...i mean common.

4: Ratings: now i think they got each individuals ratings correct for the most part, what i dont get...is how a defensive secondary full of 60's and 70's can shut down a receiving core of 80's and 90's. same goes on the OL and Dl. a OL player that is a 90 will get dominated by a 60 defensive end and vice versa. this is just not acceptable. the game of football is about being able to exploit the other teams weaknesses, in madden 10....u cant really do that.

5: Gameday: i am gonna combine a few things here, 1. no progressive lighting...if ncaa 10 has it...madden should as well. 2. the crowd...they are always dead. and they are always there! even if the home team is getting killed. in madden 04...if it was a blow out, you used to see the stadium pretty much empty at the beginning of the 4th quarter.

6. the extra point and halftime show: this was done half a** and should have never been put into this years game

7. Penalties: there is no def pass interference ever! and when there is a hold or clipping, they show the guy before the ruling is even made...kinda takes the fun away from seeing what the call is...

8. has anyone noticed that when the qb passes the ball, it has a knuckleball effect, it doesnt rotate hardly at all!! lets get that fixed asap!

ok now....this is what i feel, is definetly needed for madden....Ian...hear our cries!

1. PRESENTATION: i dont think 1 person would disagree here! madden 11 needs broadcast integration now that ncaa bball 10 had it. go out and sign fox and joe buck and troy aikman and pam oliver, then sign cbs and phil simms and jim nantz. sell the espn liscense....you havent used it ever, and give is the dynamic commentary we want. look at the commentary in this years basketball games....its amazing, not only talks about the game, but the past games and upcoming games and players! now getting great commentary is important yes...but there is more to it than that. STAT OVERLAYS STAT OVERLAYS STAT OVERLAYS! idk how to be more clear. the lil stat that pops up all tiny next to the scoreboard is pathetic. that is not how it is shown on TV!! lets make it broadcast style! real overlays that pop up on the screen and often too! im not trying to make another comparison..but take a page from nfl 2k5. they had stats for individuals on the day, the year...how they did last week....how they are doing to 1 side of the field vs the other...we need this madden! another thing, more replays, simply put.

2. You added signature throwing styles, now take it to the next level, add signature everything, from celebrations, to personalities, to running styles to tendencies. this is essential.

3. crowd: there is no signature stadium chants like promised...the crowd never gets very lowd....it just doesnt feel like anything more than a preseason game...give us the chants and personalities of each teams crowd.

4. dynamic weather: weather changes during the middle of football games all the time...so it should change during madden as well. oh and lets make the snow games more snowy!

5: interactive sidelines

6: offseason and rookie holdouts

7: a feature i think would be cool would to see the refs huddle up to determine a penalty, it happens at least 1 time per game...also. mvp baseball used to have a charge the mound button if u thought there was a bad call, obviously calls dont get changed in baseball or in football...by why not add that for a coach. u see coaches yelling and screaming at refs when they miss something. let us do that in madden 11...with the possibility of either maybe finally getting some calls going our way... or a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty

8: suspensions

9: an extra point overhaul: the first thing they say is, scores and highlights...yet THERE ARE NO HIGHLIGHTS!! lets go through each game...lets talk scores, who played well, and give us some highlights,....this was really robotic and told us pointless information. just like the halftime show...." the packers held the edge in number of plays run" omg..common...lets talk about turnovers, passing yards, players standing out...and give us more info about the games going on around the league.

10: bring back the sports ticker from games in our franchise...it used to pop up like 1 time a quarter. it doesnt come up ever now.

11: franchise simulated stats needs to be fixed..end of story

12: qb play: ok this really bugs me being a old quarterback...they never set their feet! as a qb...u set ur feet and rotate ur hips and push off...they dont do that in madden, they just throw the ball all arm....common now...also...when throwing a deep ball...they should wind up and throw it...just like in real life.

13: on the field chatter

14: owner mode: allow us to change the teams uniforms without relocating...aka the jags this year.....and let us build a new stadium without relocating aka the cowboys this year and colts last year.

15: online franchise salary caps

16: more effective sliders

17: jerseys need to be re done: they look glossy and sowed in to the players skin. lets make the uniforms look like cloth. and give it the ability to move....next gen bball games added the jerseys moving...no reason why u cant add this in madden, u have the technology.

18: bring back the newspapers

ok well thats about it....i know i have 18 things i feel need to be in next years version of madden....but most of these 18 are fairly simple for the developement team to add. now i know they really have no incentive since it is the only football game on the market and backbreaker wont have a franchise mode which would give it some longevity...which is why we need to pary Ian cummings hears our cries...and pushes forward to add alot of this stuff into this game...i think we will have better luck getting it into the game with constructive criticism rather than bashing the game.

Last edited by schnaidt1; 12-08-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Madden 10: the good, the bad and whats needed

great ideas especially about tom hammond
Old 12-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

Fix the Wildcat! No restrictions, have it play like it does on Sunday.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 12

The Good: they slowed down the game, and they finally got rid of the roll and chuck.

The Bad : The presentation is annoying; they shouldn't have bothered to do the half time show. Franchise is bare bones, and the stats are worse after the patch than before. IR is useless, there's no restricted free agency period; there's no extended rosters in the preseason. We have position requirements.

The ratings with exception of speed, agility and trucking are meaningless.

Basically this game is of last gen quality with nice shiny helmets.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
Rookie

ridemooses's Arena

OVR: 8

Just makes you think what the Madden game designers at EA are qualified and payed to do... I guess underachieve is one of them. Great analysis, I would be more gameplay oriented but presentation definitely is up there in my books. What are all the guys getting PAID to do this analysis doing? Probably creating a new "Fight for the Interception" feature.

Btw I just made that up but that could be kinda fun controlling a receiver or a corner and fighting for a ball. Just a stupid mockery of fight for the fumble but hey, an interesting idea at the least.

Viva la Madden revolucion!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2009, 11:16 PM   #6
MVP

MattIntellect's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnaidt1
with the recent release of the 2nd title update for madden 10 and no reason to believe we will be getting a 3rd, i have decided to give my imput on madden 10. first things first....the good

THE GOOD: madden 10 did make some great strides this year...and really, we owe it all to Ian cummings. I wish Ian was on the madden team of 06, just think of where the game could be right now. hopefully he continues to deliver improvements the community has been deprived of for way to long, now here is my list (in no particular oder) of the things i think madden did well on this year.
Ian was on the Madden team during the development of Madden 06....just not in the position that he is in now. I really think the franchise's success will not lie only in one person's hands. For example, Bill Gates said that Microsoft's success wasn't only because of him, but most importantly the outstanding people that surrounded him. Ian Cummings is an excellent video game developer in my opinion, but others on the team also deserve credit and respect, especially Phil Frazier.

BTW, most of the stuff you listed were great ideas.

Last edited by MattIntellect; 12-08-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:12 AM   #7
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Very good list.

I especially agree with #4 [Ratings]

I need to be convinced with future Madden releases, that player ratings truly matter at all positions. Also a solid functioning Adaptive AI is in place.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:16 AM   #8
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnaidt1

6. the extra point and halftime show: this was done half a** and should have never been put into this years game
While it might not be great overall I think much more people would be complaining if we had another year of the "halftime menu".

Anyways good suggestions though I do remember reading that the stadium relocation problem is due to the NFL not wanting it in the game.

But yeah... really can't wait to see what's in store for Madden 11.

Last edited by Bgamer90; 12-09-2009 at 01:19 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »