Home

Progression and Regression in Franchise

This is a discussion on Progression and Regression in Franchise within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
F1 2021 Review - One for the Ages
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Include Brand New Swing Mechanics, Three Click Swing Returns
FIFA 22 Gameplay: Breaking Down the Latest Details
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 12-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Progression and Regression in Franchise

this is exactly why stats should be an overall rating modifier only, like in head coach.

they would get their higher rating, which would get them depth chart position and bigger contracts, yet their actual football skill wouldnt change based on their stats, only their progression
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 12

I don't mind the way Looman set this up.

I wouldn't mind there to be some sort of training.

I would REALLY like it to progress after a added training camp, pre-season, at least once during the season, after the playoffs for teams in the playoffs only, and after the season is over.

Other then that the way they progress has been explained at length in various posts. If you go through my posts I am sure it is there someplace lover 50-100 posts ago.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:56 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I would say for the simplicity of the system they were working with, the progression system came out ok.

Now, maybe I'm being a bit less critical than I should in some cases because I actually have met most of these guys, I've had lunch with a few of them, drinks with others, 3AM design discussions in crunch time, all that, so perhaps my familiarity makes me less willing to criticize them publicly (this is at least partially true, as my internal documents are more critical than what I post here) but I think the best way to characterize Madden 10 is to say a great team did what they could with a poor foundation. I think when you look at what Josh Looman and Donny Moore did with a clean slate on NFL Head Coach 09, you can see these guys know what they need to do, but need some time to get there. They're working with the same skeleton we've had for years, and they made the progression system respectable.

Stats play a role, but (in my opinion, rightly) age and potential play a much bigger one.
Adem,

Well that was well put. Haven't seen you much these days.

Anyway, are they EVER going to get a clean slate? OR are we stuck with this crap foundation and the excuses that come with it for this generation of Madden?

I can understand that are working with an existing system and time restraints. But it does get tired hearing excuses.

I have no doubt that these guys aren't bad dudes but at the end of the day if I am not getting what I want out of the game I just am simply going to loose interest.

EA needs to bite the bullet and admit the messed up big time on this generation and spend the cash it takes to get things right. I mean this was the first time in four years madden had even any potential.

But anyway, I don't mean to hijack the post. I just thought Adem could add some in site of things to come. Redoing everything starting over like they did for HC09 would improve everything INCLUDING progression.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #28
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

The fact of the matter is, the last time progression actually worked was Madden 2005. This years progression system is an absolute joke. The main reason I traded the game in.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #29
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
The fact of the matter is, the last time progression actually worked was Madden 2005. This years progression system is an absolute joke. The main reason I traded the game in.
The old-gen progression system was terrible. No matter what QB I had his ACC would go up dramatically because I would throw tons of short, high percentage passes. So long as I could find a fast receiver he would become an awesome one because I'd throw the ball to him and the more he caught it the more his CTH rating would improve. No matter who I had at RB he would turn into an All Pro so long as I started with him young enough. And so on.

Guys either have the skills or they don't and the stats should reflect their ability and the way that ability is used in the system they're in. A RB doesn't get stronger or faster because they put up a 1,000 yard season... they do it because they did get stronger or faster OR their o-line improved OR the player controlling them plays with weak sliders (=P).

My biggest problem with the current system is actually that we can see accurate player potential ratings. Either we shouldn't see them or there should be a decent chance that they could be wrong. Some guys with A potential are simply busts. Some guys who look like they should live on the practice squad prove the world wrong. More unpredictability would be a good thing.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #30
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
My biggest problem with the current system is actually that we can see accurate player potential ratings. Either we shouldn't see them or there should be a decent chance that they could be wrong. Some guys with A potential are simply busts. Some guys who look like they should live on the practice squad prove the world wrong. More unpredictability would be a good thing.
I vote for both.

Hide them all initially. Then come up with some way we can scout teams and make that "scouting agency" do more than just give you more names to pick from when scouting the next draft class.

In fact, make teams hire three - one for your own team, one for the coming draft class, and one that focuses on scouting teams around the league and the FA pool.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boregard
I think the regression for age needs a redone, CBs with 79 spd???

Sorry but any CB that slow isn't playing in the NFL! I doubt any safety in the league could keep his job running that slow.

Players who were really good at their peak should have built in "retirement attributes"! C Bailey in my last chise was an 82 OVR and 78 speed the last year he played at like age 36.

i seem to remember D Greene of the Redskins winning the NFL fastest man race 2 years after he retired at like age 39. Speed basements for positions for aging vets need to force retirements in the game and players that play %50 of the plays on their side of the ball should never get "dumber" (AWR)!

I can see ACC, AGI, STR, Coverage ratings, break block, and some other ratings withering away to drag down the OVR, but AWR should only ever go up until it hits that players AWR cap.

Speed should dwindle with age, but at any skill positions other than CB when a player regresses to a certain speed he should hang up his cleats!!!
Preach brother preach.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »