Home

Who would you rather have at QB? (NCAA Draft)

This is a discussion on Who would you rather have at QB? (NCAA Draft) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Who should be drafted?
Terrelle Pryor 14 24.14%
Jimmy Clausen 44 75.86%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #33
Pro

OVR: 12
Re: Who would you rather have at QB? (NCAA Draft)

Hmm... I don't think you can really say that all those teams won the SB because they had pocket passer QBs (maybe with the exception of Peyton Manning and Tom Brady). I think it's just that pocket passers are more common than scramblers, so it's a given that more pocket passers will win the SB. I mean, look at Roethlisberger's 2005 SB, he went 9-21 for 123 yards and 2 INTs. I think that the '05 Steelers won in spite of Roethlisberger, not because of him.

However, I agree that Clausen would be a better pick IRL, but in Madden I'm going with Pryor, he'll be more fun to play with.

Last edited by Dianwei32; 12-10-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:02 AM   #34
Old Guy

SalemChief's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianwei32
Hmm... I don't think you can really say that all those teams won the SB because they had pocket passer QBs. I think it's just that pocket passers are more common than scramblers, so it's a given that more pocket passers will win the SB.

However, I agree that Clausen would be a better pick IRL, but in Madden I'm going with Pryor, he'll be more fun to play with.
Never said because, my friend; doesn't appear anywhere in the post. I did write that "pocket passers win championships" because they do; only two scramblers on SB winning teams kinda' reflects that. I'd say they're a bit more common, to put it mildly.

In any event, it's an interesting discussion, but maybe better left for another thread.

Good luck on your decision, but be very careful. Bad QB decision set franchises back for years.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #35
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemChief
Never said because, my friend; doesn't appear anywhere in the post. I did write that "pocket passers win championships" because they do; only two scramblers on SB winning teams kinda' reflects that. I'd say they're a bit more common, to put it mildly.

In any event, it's an interesting discussion, but maybe better left for another thread.

Good luck on your decision, but be very careful. Bad QB decision set franchises back for years.
Well, the way you were phrasing it made it sound like you were saying that the teams won because of pocket passer QBs. If you just want to say "pocket passers win championships" without any reason as to why, you could also say that they lose championships because every season there are a bunch of pocket passer QBs who don't win the SB, or even make the playoffs. I'm not trying to be a douche or anything, I just think that if you're going to say that pocket passers win SB's, you should have some evidence/reasoning to back it up, don't just say it for the sake of saying it.

Also, there have been more than 2 scramblers who won the SB, off the top of my head I can think of Roger Staubach, Cowboys QB who won the 1971 and 1977 championships and was a big-time scrambler.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #36
Old Guy

SalemChief's Arena

Quote:
I'm not trying to be a douche or anything, I just think that if you're going to say that pocket passers win SB's, you should have some evidence/reasoning to back it up, don't just say it for the sake of saying it.

Also, there have been more than 2 scramblers who won the SB, off the top of my head I can think of Roger Staubach, Cowboys QB who won the 1971 and 1977 championships and was a big-time scrambler.
Sigh. We disagree on the issue. I thought I did back it up. You don't think so. Okay. We're at serious risk, brother, of OT losing the point. We're helping a brother choose between two QB's. Let's agree to create a new thread if we want to continue this worthy discussion, and discuss other topics like Staubach's career rushing touchdowns and rushing yards.

Allow me to respectfully reintroduce your idea that
Quote:
I agree that Clausen would be a better pick IRL, but in Madden I'm going with Pryor, he'll be more fun to play with.
It's an excellent point. Game fun absolutely matters, and should be taken into consideration.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #37
Pro

Alright, we can agree to disagree, and just FYI, I was the one trying to decide between Clausen and Pryor. I've simmed 5 games and played 2 of Pryor's rookie season, and my team is 3-3, but I managed to pull out last second close wins against the 3-1 49er's and the 4-1 Cowboys. Through 6 games, here are Pryor's stats:

Passing: 75.5 rating, 1,066 yards, 9 TDs, 6 INTs, 55% completion

Rushing: 31 attempts, 189 yards, 6.1 YPC, 3 TDs.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:47 PM   #38
Old Guy

SalemChief's Arena

Quote:
Alright, we can agree to disagree, and just FYI, I was the one trying to decide between Clausen and Pryor. I've simmed 5 games and played 2 of Pryor's rookie season, and my team is 3-3, but I managed to pull out last second close wins against the 3-1 49er's and the 4-1 Cowboys. Through 6 games, here are Pryor's stats:

Passing: 75.5 rating, 1,066 yards, 9 TDs, 6 INTs, 55% completion

Rushing: 31 attempts, 189 yards, 6.1 YPC, 3 TDs.
Well, I'm a silly knucklehead. Of course it was you. What a goof I am.

Well, I'd certainly say that Pryor has been doing well for you. Adding in the rushing stats, that's a 2-1 TD/INT ratio, obviously. Has he been, in fact, fun to play?

Guess you took your own advice, huh?
Old 12-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #39
Pro

He's been lots of fun. Scrambling is hit-or-miss, depending on the defense, I'll typcially either get 10-15 yards or I'll get stopped at the line by a DL coming off of his block. It's taking a little time to get used to him though, in another Franchise I drafted Sam Bradford and he had 97 Throw Power, so he could sling lasers all over the field, but Pryor can't throw them as fast/flat as Bradford, so I've had a couple bonehead INTs where the ball took a little longer to get to the spot than I expected it to.

One of Pryor's rushing TDs was an interesting play. It was 3rd and goal from the 1, and the defense rushed two and dropped nine into coverage. So I went to check the pass rush and see that three of my OL are just standing there blocking nothing, so I just pull down the ball, and go 1/2 a yard for a TD to put me up by 4 with 1:45 left in the game.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #40
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

If the Rams pick either of these guys in real life, I'm going to take hostages.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »