Home

I almost broke my $2000 TV with my PS3 controller...

This is a discussion on I almost broke my $2000 TV with my PS3 controller... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-09-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
I almost broke my $2000 TV with my PS3 controller...

So get this. I'm playing my franchise game as the Browns against the Ravens. I'm in my 3rd year, drafted a franchise QB Tristan Riley a year ago with an all-star RB Lamarcus Taylor. The game turned out to be a shootout. I could not stop Flacco, and the Ravens could not stop my version of LT. Anyway, here's what happened in the 2nd half of the 4th quarter:

-I'm up 35-31

-I went 3-and-out, punted the ball to Ravens 2 yard line. I figured that should be enough to win the game.

-Flacco drove 98 yards down the field for a TD, 2 min warning.

-Ensuing kickoff, I returned it for a TD. I was happy, at the same time, troubled that I gave Flacco almost 1:50min to score.

-Score at this point is 42-38, Flacco needed a TD to win.

-Of course, I couldn't stop the stupid AI, Flacco threw a TD to heap, in TRIPLE COVERAGE, and my DBs just let him catch the ball.

-Score is now 42-45, I need a FG to tie the game. 18 sec left, I have all 3 TOs.

-Ravens squib kicked it. Fine with me because my guy caught it and advanced to the 50 yard line. My kicker has a 99 KPWR rating, so all I need is about 12-14 yards.

So, here's the "fun" part. I picked a play, read Ravens defense. They showed blitz, and from my experience of playing this game, I knew they were gonna blitz. I audibled to RB screen to the fastest guy on my team, LaMarcus Taylor.

Ball snapped, I kept dropping back, and tossed the ball to LT. Only the ball got tipped by one of the blitzers and went airborne for a couple seconds. At this point, I was thinking "wut the #$%&*, that could have been a TD. Fine, I'll live with the incomplete pass, I still have time."

Out of the corner of my eyes, I caught this moving figure in a brown jersey. This moving object ran to the floating football, and caught it 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage and immediately got tackled. Yep, this stupid mofo was my RB, who was so "dedicated" to his craft, that he abandon his abilty to assess the situation and caught the ball with at least 6 ravens jerseys around him.

2nd and 20 at my own 40, I had to burn a TO. 14 sec left. My PS3 controller went flying, luckily it was one of those Jake Delhomme throws and hit the wall instead of the TV.

Of course, the AI didn't blitz the next 2 plays, and I couldn't get into FG range. In my 7 years of playing Madden, I've never see a RB so stupid. I don't know if this is a flaw of the AI, or just my slow reaction (I should have controlled my player and gotten him away from the ball, but everythign happened so fast).

I thought I had to share this with you guys. I'm so pissed right now... AARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 36
Re: I almost broke my $2000 TV with my PS3 controller...

its 65/35 blame here...

ai is 65, youre 35

ive had it happen myself. i hate this game sometimes but im not a basher (not calling you one either)
Old 12-09-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey225
its 65/35 blame here...

ai is 65, youre 35

ive had it happen myself. i hate this game sometimes but im not a basher (not calling you one either)
I know :P After a few cigs I've calmed down and realized this doesn't happen a lot. But when it does, it's extremely aggravating. I guess real life players sometimes make similar mistakes as well. But man, I've never been so pissed at a video game before. That game pretty much knocked me out of the wildcard spot. Oh well, mid round pick here I come again

I guess I should be happy that I lost a well-fought game to a 12-1 team.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 22

If you were going to throw a controlled I'd go with the wall next time.

Just to be safe. : )
Old 12-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
Pro

billyboy316's Arena

OVR: 7

Yea I almost broke something today too. I am just getting really frustrated that my receivers and linemen are so stupid. Why can't a receiver turn around and catch the ball instead of always trying to catch it over the shoulder? Also why doesn't the receiver jump when I push the button? Why does my receiver, who has 90+ catch, dropping the ball 2-4 times a game? Finally why can't my line, who are all 90 pass blocking, pass block against crappy defenders??

Just some things that irritated me today.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 36

It's just how it goes I guess :-/

co-sign on the WR jumping issue....ive had many game sealing INTs because the WR won't even try.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:15 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpider
Out of the corner of my eyes, I caught this moving figure in a brown jersey. This moving object ran to the floating football, and caught it 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage and immediately got tackled. Yep, this stupid mofo was my RB, who was so "dedicated" to his craft, that he abandon his abilty to assess the situation and caught the ball with at least 6 ravens jerseys around him.
Oh yeah, I hate that. One of the few times I'm glad I got a dropped ball.

Between that and the TE when he decides to run/warp in three yards and turn a first down into a 2 yd gain because he just couldn't wait for the ball to get to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpider
...luckily it was one of those Jake Delhomme throws and hit the wall instead of the TV.

I guess if it was a JaMarcus Russell throw it would have ended up breaking a window?
Old 12-09-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 4

I'm actually studying a bit of a similar phenomenon. I'm convinced that there is catch-up-AI built into the game. If your slider are too easy, you won't notice it. If your sliders are balanced, you will (just hypothesis at this point)

But, I am noticing a trend, where if I win many games in a row, I could play the lamest team in the world (Browns ?), and they would play like the Saints x10.

I notice in those types of games, the CPU ai will call a lot more crossing routes. For which, the defending AI is pitiful. Pass protection is way better for the CPU. Catching gets a huge boost for the CPU players, and a huge cut for the HUM ones.

I've seen some people here comment that "The CPU picks the winner before the game." While I don't 100% believe that, I do believe that the CPU does give behind-the-scenes boosts and cuts to the sliders. In cases where you've been on a roll, maybe blowing out the CPU in a couple games, they will come back like hellfire in the next game, regardless of what team you play.

I'm not saying any of my ideas are 100% validated. I'm still trying to see if these theories pan out into something i can stand behind.

Last edited by rocknroll1968; 12-09-2009 at 11:39 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »