Home

Franchise fans unite! Fix the stats now

This is a discussion on Franchise fans unite! Fix the stats now within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #49
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: Franchise fans unite! Fix the stats now

+1

not expecting much from EA at this point for several reasons though:

• They haven't fixed stats for many many years, so I am lacking their ability to
  • Donny has already said he basically can't with current engine - and I haven't heard of any talk of replacing that engine even for Madden 11
  • They have tried 3 times now and failed since Donny took over - let counts for those mentally impaired - release, patch 1, and patch 3 = 3 times from Donny
  • I have never seen EA do more then 2 patches. SO, basically we are done until madden 11
  • I don't think the powers that be in EA give a ****. Or they would have fixed it the last two years. Am I the only one that remember ALL the damn hype on how they fixed stats for Madden 09? I wish I could find a link to the blog they had about it.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #50
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneTheMaster
The biggest problem is that they are using a DIFFERENT engine to simulate games than is used to actually play the games. The correct way to do it is when simulating games, use the same engine, but DONT RENDER THE GRAPHICS.

A game in 1994 did this to perfection. All you see is the scoreboard when the game is simulating. If they programmed the game well, this should not be hard to do.
Exactly my thoughts.

FBPro 96, 98 did it. Baseball Pro (and up) did it. The first Football Pro game did it. Basically all of Dynamix's games did it.

Those games even saved highlights that you could watch after the sim was over.

Not to mention a lot of this stuff is just going on football reference or NFL.com and look up stats. Why can't the engine at least work like OOTP's does with the league totals. Set them to the NFL Averages and have the ratings produce whatever based off that.

Last edited by KBLover; 12-15-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #51
Rookie

ShaneTheMaster's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAzing87
How do you know about this? Where can we find more information to support this?
It was an old game, so I can't point you to a link about this - but it is common knowledge for anyone familiar with FBPro. Because the same engine was used, it could even save highlights for you to look at later on.

It is pretty obvious you want the games simulated to use the same engine as the games actually played.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 1

FBPro was a fantastic game. Nothing has come close to being a true football simulator. No you didn't have 8 person gang tackles, but man it had fantastic gameplay and stat features.

As for the current Madden stat engine I've been holding onto the following conspiracy for years.

Back in 2000 EA was publishing a little gem of a game called Front Office Football. Today you can find it here:
http://www.solecismic.com/fof/index.php (look at the bottom of this page to see the EA disclaimer)

As the name implies, this game is a pure text based football simulator that is all engine and no gfx.

My conspiracy is that EA originally purchased rights to this game in order to use its various engines in Madden. I believe that 9 years later we are still seeing this same engine used for simulated stat generation and possibly player progression.

I would love for an insider to shoot my conspiracy down, but I can't imagine any other reason why EA would even consider owning rights to such a niche game.

BTW i own a copy of Front Office Football, and if you are a die hard stat freak and don't much care for actually playing the game, then you should definitely give it a shot.

Last edited by csthopper; 12-16-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #53
MVP

OVR: 9

I know someone else posted this but just in case you didn't see this.

You need to drop the trucking the main RB's down between 30-75. To keep the main guys with higher ratings I increased AWA, ELUS, CARRY, whatever else so I didn't have Peterson and Turner rated in the high 70's. EX. Turner and Peterson are 75 TRK and Chris Johnson is a 30 TRK.

Then I increased the tackled raring of most of the safeties to 80-99, for example Sharper to a 90, Reed to a 90 ect.

I simmed a season and my leading rusher was AD with 1,740 yards and a 5.3 average with 19 td's
My highest YPC guy was Jerious Norwood with a 6.2, and I counted just 8 1,000 runners.

This isn't a total fix but if EA reads this maybe they can increase the ratings of the defense to have a higher tackle rating or something as this makes the stats much better. At least I feel I can play a franchise again.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #54
MVP

metal134's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaccaro
I'll try to bring some balance to this thread and talk all the sim-junkies back off the ledge.

It's been stated before that the stat tuning is very delicate, and any slight adjustment here tends to have big effects somewhere else. If you continue to ask for stat tuning patches, maybe you'll get them, but I absolutely guarantee that something else won't be quite perfect.

It's obvious that perfection is being sought and that is completely unrealistic. Maybe the stat engine needs to be fully redone, maybe it will for Madden 11? However, in the meantime, I feel sorry for those of us who paid good money for a pretty good game, yet get all sorts of hung up on minutiae. Relax, enjoy the video game... if you're unbias, you realize it's the best NFL game effort to date. It's clear that this dev team is heading in the right direction and there's been no reason so far to believe that there'll be any step backwards.
OK, here's the thing. As many said, perfection isn't being asked for. Somewhat realistic is what is being asked for. If the engine is too delicate for them to get it right, then fine, I'll do without. Because what you fail to understand is that for us, the fun is in simulating an NFL universe. And by simulating, I mean creating a fictional NFL universe that resembles the real one and if they can't be done, then guess what? It's not fun for me. You don't care about stats, I get that. But for me, an endless string of meaningless exhibition games is boring and the games mean nothing unless they can fit into a greater scheme of a franchise, which is worthless if it doesn't resemble the real thing.

Last edited by metal134; 12-19-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:16 AM   #55
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal134
OK, here's the thing. As many said, perfection isn't being asked for. Somewhat realistic is what is being asked for. If the engine is too delicate for them to get it right, then fine, I'll do without. Because what you fail to understand is that for us, the fun is in simulating an NFL universe. And by simulating, I mean creating a fictional NFL universe that resembles the real one and if they can't be done, then guess what? It's not fun for me. You don't care about stats, I get that. But for me, an endless string of meaningless exhibition games is boring and the games mean nothing unless they can fit into a greater scheme of a franchise, which is worthless if it doesn't resemble the real thing.
I think Madden needs to get more than stats accurate to truly simulate the NFL.

The stats aren't realistic, but if they were perfect, would Madden be simulating the NFL?

Heck, there's gameplay things that don't simulate the NFL, much less how barebones franchise is in general.

Maybe that's why the stats aren't a game killer for me, because I think it's just the tip of a list of things Madden could do better to simulate the NFL universe.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2009, 06:33 AM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 5

All I'm going to say is the video game that had the best accurate stats was Tecmo Super Bowl Final Edition for the SNES. The stat engine was spot on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »