Home

Abusing the trade system in Franchise

This is a discussion on Abusing the trade system in Franchise within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 12
Abusing the trade system in Franchise

Alright, let me preface this by saying that in all of my Franchises except this one i stick to realistic trades, I don't change player positions to sign them for less, or anything like that, I just wanted to try this once.

Basically what I've done is create a cupcake team and I'm simming the first couple seasons, then when the draft rolls around (and I inevitably have the 1st overall pick because my team is terrible), I will identify a few player I want to draft, then trade down 1 pick and get the other team's 3rd rounder as well. Once I have 3 3rd rounders I can trade them for an extra first rounder, and doing this I've been able to get 7 first round picks over the first 2 years.

2010 Draft (focused on building my OL/DL)
Round 1, pick 3: Sam Young, RT, Notre Dame (99 Strength, 95 Impact Blocking)
Round 1, pick 8: Eric Wood, C, Notre Dame (98 Strength, 95 Run Block, 94 Pass Block)
Round 1, pick 14: Jordan Shipley, WR, Texas (96 Speed, 83 Catching)
Round 1, pick 18: Adam Ulatoski, LT, Texas (99 Strength, 92 Impack Blocking, 94 Pass Block)

Other notable draftees: K Hunter Lawrence (Round 3, 96 Power, 91 Accuracy), P PJ Fitzgerald (Round 3, 97 Power, 87 Accuracy) DT Terrance Cody (Round 5, 95 Strength), DE Jerry Hughes (Round 3, 84 Speed, 80 Strength), FB Matt Clapp (round 6, great blocking FB)

2011 Draft (focused on skill positions)
Round 1 pick 3: Mark Ingram, HB, Alabama (91 Speed, 94 Elusiveness, 92 Carrying)
Round 1, pick 8: Terrelle Pryor, QB, Ohio State (96 Speed, 95 Throw Power)
Round 1, pick 9: Eric Berry, SS, Tennessee (94 Speed, 95 Hit Power, 91 Tackling)

Other notable draftees: DE Scott Solomon (Round 2, 79 Speed, 74 Strength), WR Terrance Toliver (Round 3, 89 Speed, 6'5", 85 Catching)

During the 2012 preseason, I was able to trade my backup RE (80 OVR, moved Hughes to RE, Solomon at LE) and my 3rd round pick to the Jaguars for FS Kam Chancellor (87 OVR, their backup FS), who was a much better option than my 78 OVR current FS.

Also, I feel the need to point out that Terrelle Pryor, my QB, is tied for fastest person on my team with Jordan Shipley, both at 96 Speed. This team is going to be a lot of fun to play with this season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 36
Re: Abusing the trade system in Franchise

congrats. you've figured out why franchise gives nearly no replay value (though I still play it anyways)
Old 12-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Pro

It has replay value if you avoid doing things like this. I have multiple Franchises in progress, and I've made it to year 3-4 in all of them playing all the games (in 09 I made it about halfway through the season, simmed the rest and had no desire to go on in the second season), and it's still fun.

The main downside to this tactic is that it's not exactly a long-term plan. It works for a year or two, but you run out of cap space really quickly signing 2-3 1st rounders a year. I had $70M in cap space during my first year, then $40M during the second year, going into the 3rd year I've got $15M in cap room, so I'll probably have to stick to only one 1st rounder per year now
Old 12-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 36

Yeah I feel that, I sometimes have to rip myself off in trades just because I can't afford my 1st rounder (if I made a big FA signing, etc.)
Old 12-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

This year now that there are gems in later rounds it makes franchise more fun because you can acquire good players without having to have a top 15 pick each year. Because like you guys are saying, it costs so much money to sign them and you run out of cap space.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
Pro

The problem with the gems is that if you're using the NCAA draft classes, they don't exist. You can get a guy in the 4th round who my be good, but there is a steady decline in ability/potential as the rounds go on.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 26

With the pre made draft classes, you are better off trading your 1st round pick for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks. I end up ripping myself off when comparing the value of the pick to what I receive. In practice, I normally end up with 70+ overall players with B potential. They can be starters right away and have potential to be great players and for 1-3 mil a year over 3-4 years is nothing to sneeze at(Compared to paying 100+ mil with a huge bonus)

It is a shame that we cant get more then 10 picks in a draft. I live with the patriot drafting process and I will often trade down from my spot to save money.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
With the pre made draft classes, you are better off trading your 1st round pick for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks. I end up ripping myself off when comparing the value of the pick to what I receive. In practice, I normally end up with 70+ overall players with B potential. They can be starters right away and have potential to be great players and for 1-3 mil a year over 3-4 years is nothing to sneeze at(Compared to paying 100+ mil with a huge bonus)

It is a shame that we cant get more then 10 picks in a draft. I live with the patriot drafting process and I will often trade down from my spot to save money.
Totally agree, it hurts watching the real NFL draft and seeing teams with 12 picks knowing I can't get that in Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »