Home

Punters vs Kickers

This is a discussion on Punters vs Kickers within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23
Punters vs Kickers

As it stands there is no differentiation from the the two. You rarely if ever see one doing both jobs on sunday since both jobs impose different kicking skills to master but in this game and "others" (to be fair), you can easily use one to do both jobs. There needs to be a way that you can make it where you can not use 1 for both simply on the basis of kicking power. Infact the whole kicking game needs improvement.

I like that the kick meter is similar to All Pro Football but it lacks any of the difficulty that came with All Pro. As it stands it is far too easy to kick. Making big kicks in All Pro meant something and gave a sense of accomplishing an important feat. Making a big kick means nothing here in this game since it is always on the money accurate.

A vast improvement in this area would be much aprreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Punters vs Kickers

Kick Power rules all.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Kick Power rules all.
All too true. In my franchise, I'm using a 34 overall rookie kicker because he has 99 kick strength and decent speed for a kicker (who doesn't have fun knocking a returner on his *** with a kicker every so often? ). I can hit 58 yard field goals all day. Even putting a kicker at 0 kicking accuracy doesn't do much if you know how to kick a field goal in the game.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Not true. My kicker and punter have the same power. My game glitched and my punter was kicking and vice versa. I didn't realize it at the time and went to kick an easy 35 yard field goal. Ends up being short. I watch the replay and saw my punter was kicking it.

It also explained why none of my kicks went into the endzone/.

― Plato
Old 12-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Not true. My kicker and punter have the same power. My game glitched and my punter was kicking and vice versa. I didn't realize it at the time and went to kick an easy 35 yard field goal. Ends up being short. I watch the replay and saw my punter was kicking it.

I can't comment on the first part, but your last sentence is incorrect. I regularly use a punter with 99 KP and he knocks it to the back of the endzone. They are definitely interchangable with no difference on the kickoff. I've never tried a punter on long field goals, though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21

That is because the awareness for that player is low, but most good kickers have such a high awareness that they can play either positions without fail due to the kick power.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Not all kickers in Madden are interchangeable, but yes, if you look at the ratings, some guys can actually do both jobs way too effectively.

But that doesn't bother me nearly as much as how easy the kicking system is in Madden.

Once you know your kicker's maximum distance, you basically will never miss a kick in this game.

I love the system in All Pro Football because no kick in that game is a gimme and the field goals from 50+ yards require near-perfect execution to go in, so you really get that feeling of accomplishment when you make one, especially when the game is on the line.

One of my best memories from All Pro Football, actually, was sending a game to overtime on a 50-yard field goal form a generic kicker that clanked off the crossbar and bounced through.

That's something you'd never see in Madden because of how routine 50-yard kicks are.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:10 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 13

I still don't get this "kicking is too easy" thing. I have trouble making kicks all the time. They veer left and right. Very hard for me to send an accurate kick through.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »