Home

Holy Crap. Cap Help.

This is a discussion on Holy Crap. Cap Help. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-18-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 13
Holy Crap. Cap Help.

So I win the Super Bowl, finally. I bring back my coaches, get a new stadium contract, etc. After I check the retired players (no one), I go to resign some of my players. I don't have any key guys, but certain role players, the best of which being my 80 OVR B Pot nickel corner. I go to lock him up long term, and BAM the cap is $20 in the red. How am I that far under? I've only got two big contract hits (Chris Samuels is at 8mil a year, I thought he'd retire and Laron Landry is over 9mil). I really don't want to trade those guys, but if I don't, I can't even start the season. Is there any way around this? How do I get out of the whole? Even if I wanted to give everyone extensions for 7-year deals to lower cap hits for this season, I can't even start re-signing players until I get above cap. How do I do this?

Also- if I trade LL (which I did just to see what happened), his contract with the other team was cut in half. I looked at his contract and it stayed below 8mil all the way through the end of it. If I trade back for him is there penalty? Was there to trade him in the first place?

Thanks for the help guys. I'm really happy with my franchise right now but I'm stuck here. Any advice would be appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 36
Re: Holy Crap. Cap Help.

The only thing I can tell you is that by trading LL, you freed up whatever he cost in your cap, but next year you'll be forced to pay the remainder of his signing bonus whatever that was.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
MVP

ausar72's Arena

OVR: 12

I lost a bunch of people i didn't want to lose in my second season with the Skins after reaching (and losing in) the Super Bowl, including half of my offensive line (which I was looking to replace anyway).

What season are you on in your franchise, where Landry has a 9 million dollar salary? I didn't check what he was earning in mine, but is that from an extension that you signed him to?
Old 12-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
Pro

yeah i'm on season 5 or 6 i believe. i dont think i ever resigned landry. his contract was low enough for me to carry for those few years. but now he's just too expensive to keep. it sucks because i want these guys to retire as skins (guys like cedric griffin, casey rabach, chris samuels, etc). i may just start a new franchise though. it sucks because i really am far along and have had good player development, but.. i don't know.

thanks for the help though. i guess there's just no way around it.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meast21Forever
yeah i'm on season 5 or 6 i believe. i dont think i ever resigned landry. his contract was low enough for me to carry for those few years. but now he's just too expensive to keep. it sucks because i want these guys to retire as skins (guys like cedric griffin, casey rabach, chris samuels, etc). i may just start a new franchise though. it sucks because i really am far along and have had good player development, but.. i don't know.

thanks for the help though. i guess there's just no way around it.

Yeah, I play without the cap just so I can make sure my guys can retire as Eagles. Now if only reality would follow suit . . .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Did you cut or trade any guys with big contracts before the season? It sounds like you have a lot of cap space tied up in cap penalties
Old 12-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

OVR: 24

you can free a little room be extending someone with a soon to expire high contract. Say they have 2 years left and are making 10 mil, sign em to 4 that should free a little room. I just let the highest paid players on my team contracts run out, and replenish through the draft. By year 5 my entire team is totally fake filled with computer generated drones, with the exception of Lesean McCoy, Desean Jackson, Macho Harris, and Jeremy Maclin. I don't even sign free agents.

Last edited by TreFacTor; 12-18-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:15 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 26

You think thats bad? I just finished my 3rd season in the Raiders and I win the Superbowl, im at the off-season ready to sign and to my surprise I find that I am, $71 Million against the cap, HOW THE HELL DID THAT HAPPEN? Im forced to release every single player on the team...also i swear once i reset the Cap Penalties, it asked me and i did, you could do it in previous Maddens but not this one, like what the hell

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »