Home

Old 12-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Franchise trade question

So we all know that releasing a player with unpaid bonus in the contract will give you a cap penalty next year. However, if I were to trade that same player to a different team, would I still get hit with the same cap penalty?

For example: player A has a 5-year, 50 mil contract consisting of 20 mil of bonuses. 2 years later, I wanted to release or trade this guy. If I were to release him, I'd take a 12 mil cap penalty next year. However, would I still take that same cap hit if I trade him away?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Franchise trade question

I believe you would incur the bonus as a cap penalty for that current year but not the rest of the contract.

So if he has a bonus of 5 Mil in 2009, 6.5 Mill in 2010 and 6 Mil in 2011 and you traded him during the 2009 season you would only have the 5 Mill penalty at the start of the 2010 offseason.

I think that's how it goes in Madden, correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpider
So we all know that releasing a player with unpaid bonus in the contract will give you a cap penalty next year. However, if I were to trade that same player to a different team, would I still get hit with the same cap penalty?

For example: player A has a 5-year, 50 mil contract consisting of 20 mil of bonuses. 2 years later, I wanted to release or trade this guy. If I were to release him, I'd take a 12 mil cap penalty next year. However, would I still take that same cap hit if I trade him away?
anytime a player leaves a team, whether its through trade or release, there is a cap penalty consisting of the remainder of the players signing bonus.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpider
Yeah, I believe you take cap penalties to next season's cap for getting rid of the guy - no matter how.

This is why some try to avoid bonuses like the plague when signing/acquiring players.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:19 AM   #5
LSX
Rookie

LSX's Arena

OVR: 3

Really? I was under the impression that if you traded a player, there were no cap penalties? I thought it was only when you released a player...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2009, 01:33 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

If you trade or release any player with any unpaid balance you would be required to pay the remaining amount of the bonus.

Player A: 5 year, 50M contract, 25M signing bonus in year 2.

If you cut this player, you would take a cap hit of 20M (5M per year for 5 years, 4 years remaining = 20M) This is the same penalty if you trade this player as well.

If you ACQUIRE a player, the same thing happens. You do not pay any of his bonus, the team that traded him takes the cap hit for the bonus & you are only required to pay that players salary. That is why you will always see a $0.00 bonus on every player you acquire via trade. Hope that makes sense.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:39 AM   #7
LSX
Rookie

LSX's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyNYvett
If you trade or release any player with any unpaid balance you would be required to pay the remaining amount of the bonus.

Player A: 5 year, 50M contract, 25M signing bonus in year 2.

If you cut this player, you would take a cap hit of 20M (5M per year for 5 years, 4 years remaining = 20M) This is the same penalty if you trade this player as well.

If you ACQUIRE a player, the same thing happens. You do not pay any of his bonus, the team that traded him takes the cap hit for the bonus & you are only required to pay that players salary. That is why you will always see a $0.00 bonus on every player you acquire via trade. Hope that makes sense.
Awesome, makes sense! Thanks. I guess I never thought about it before
Old 12-23-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

The dumb thing about franchise that needs to be fixed is when you set up a trade no matter who you are trading by penalties it says no penalty. everytime. even when there is a HUGE penalty. needs to be fixed for M11

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »