Home

Is there more than one catch animation in this game???

This is a discussion on Is there more than one catch animation in this game??? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-25-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 1
Is there more than one catch animation in this game???

Maybe, I'm just doing something wrong. But, on every pass that goes downfield (fly, post, flag, etc), the receiver will only do an over the shoulder catch. It's impossible to make the receiver stop and catch the ball like you see in real life. I know people will say; "well that's a rocket catch!" Well, it happens in real life.

I have had the game since release and I've only ever seen the over the shoulder catch. It's really annoying. In Madden 08-09 we had one handed grabs, leaping spin around catches, and others. I know it got annoying seeing some of them over and over, but it's better than only having one catching animation.

Because of this, it's so darn hard to throw downfield because your receiver will only turn his head around and put his arms up instead of attacking the ball. Meanwhile, a LB or DB can super jump from the middle of nowhere to knock it down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-25-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
2022 Clark Cup Champions!

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Is there more than one catch animation in this game???

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoods
Maybe, I'm just doing something wrong. But, on every pass that goes downfield (fly, post, flag, etc), the receiver will only do an over the shoulder catch. It's impossible to make the receiver stop and catch the ball like you see in real life. I know people will say; "well that's a rocket catch!" Well, it happens in real life.

I have had the game since release and I've only ever seen the over the shoulder catch. It's really annoying. In Madden 08-09 we had one handed grabs, leaping spin around catches, and others. I know it got annoying seeing some of them over and over, but it's better than only having one catching animation.

Because of this, it's so darn hard to throw downfield because your receiver will only turn his head around and put his arms up instead of attacking the ball. Meanwhile, a LB or DB can super jump from the middle of nowhere to knock it down.
From what i have experienced, the over the shoulder catch is the games bread and butter. Very rarely do i see the WR stop and try and catch it, unless hes well covered or it calls for it in his route.

This really sucks cause when you want to do a fade route in the endzone, the WR will over the shoulder and 9 times out of ten step out of bounds. I wish he would stop, and try and out leap the defender for the ball in the corner, or back of the endzone.

As far as a one handed catch, i did see one with Brandon Marshall when i over threw him. Guy stuck out his hand and it just morphed from about 5 yards ahead of him right into his hand. Was a sweet catch, but just wish it didnt morph the way it did.
MLB - Toronto Blue Jays 56-45
NHL - Colorado Avalanche 2022 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS
United States Hockey League - Sioux City Musketeers
2022 Clark Cup Champions
Old 12-25-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

I was ready to complain about the lack of dynamic catches (i.e. based on the ball's location, much like you have with ProTak, IMHO that's the next big change in the game 'ProCatch'), but then I saw a showlace grab on a comeback when my QB was scrambling. It was a nice animation, but one that's rarely (if ever) seen. I have seen a catch animation where they had to review it to see if it wasn't a trap (only once in 100 games!, which was a very nice animation / review / experience. So they 'are' there, but they seem to be few and far between.

I plan on putting out my WishList for a NFL Football game here in the next couple of weeks, and it's going to include things such as ProCatch, building blocks presented to us by APF2K8, and new ideas not seen in any football game to date (or any forum board that I've followed, and I have followed quite a few heh).
Old 12-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #4

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I was ready to complain about the lack of dynamic catches (i.e. based on the ball's location, much like you have with ProTak, IMHO that's the next big change in the game 'ProCatch'), but then I saw a showlace grab on a comeback when my QB was scrambling. It was a nice animation, but one that's rarely (if ever) seen. I have seen a catch animation where they had to review it to see if it wasn't a trap (only once in 100 games!, which was a very nice animation / review / experience. So they 'are' there, but they seem to be few and far between.

I plan on putting out my WishList for a NFL Football game here in the next couple of weeks, and it's going to include things such as ProCatch, building blocks presented to us by APF2K8, and new ideas not seen in any football game to date (or any forum board that I've followed, and I have followed quite a few heh).
I think if you press down on the thumbstick the QB throws at their feet, or i could be mistaken cause i have Orton at QB and he can be erratic at times.
2022 Clark Cup Champions
Old 12-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
Rookie

lilgame06's Arena

OVR: 3

yea the over the shoulder catch has definetly been an overkill in this madden. but there are different animations that can be triggered but it really depends on how open your guy gets or where u throw it. i have this really fast rookie in my online franchise who when i throw a deep ball to him, he usually gets really good separation and he will lean his back and let the ball fall into his hands and stomach. its a pretty cool animation.

but yea, it does seem like when a CB is running with you or gaining ground on you, they only over the shoulder grab.

Another animation that ive been seeming to trigger alot lately is where i bullet the ball low and if the WR has his back turned, he'll turn his body around slightly while running, and put his hands out down by his hips to make the catch. He loses speed trying to make the catch but alot of times, its easy to get that immediate stiff arm and break away for a huge gain. If he's coming across the field, usually he'll reach out and grab it.

They will definetly have to do something about this though. i love the over the shoulder catch but its not right for every pass and its not done in real football as often as its done in this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2009, 04:05 AM   #6

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

If you lead your TE with a pass that goes into the endzone, he will leap out in front of it and roll into the endzone. forgot to mention that one earlier.

I miss the lay out catch from '09. I got a pic in my arena if you want to know what i am talking about.
2022 Clark Cup Champions
Old 12-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
My FS got an INT like that recently. He was playing deep middle and the AI QB overthrew his receiver going across the middle. The FS charged in and caught the ball off his shoetops. I was shocked, almost forgot to control the DB afterwords. I was just certain it would be an incompletion, but he made the catch.

I looked at the replay and there wasn't any morphing or anything, just a good football play by the defender.

I've seen a couple one-handed catches and with no morphing. Been seeing a few more jump catches since patch 2, but still not that many.

I agree with everyone else - too much over-the-shoulder catches. Would be nice if the receiver was trying an over-the-shoulder catch but the ball is off (overthrown, etc) the receiver could try to adjust the catch. Stretch his arms out, dive in vain, etc - we see WR try things like that. Last night, Britt had to reach out his arms on one that would have been over-the-shoulder, and couldn't make the play. Stuff like that would be nice to see, based on the CTH rating.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I agree with everyone else - too much over-the-shoulder catches. Would be nice if the receiver was trying an over-the-shoulder catch but the ball is off (overthrown, etc) the receiver could try to adjust the catch. Stretch his arms out, dive in vain, etc - we see WR try things like that. Last night, Britt had to reach out his arms on one that would have been over-the-shoulder, and couldn't make the play. Stuff like that would be nice to see, based on the CTH rating.
I think that that the actual occurence of the animation should be based more on the reciever's Spectacular Catch rating, but his chances of successfully catching the ball on a spectacular catch should be based on his Catching rating.

This way, you could have a WR with high SPC that can make all kinds of crazy circus catches, but can't pull them in due to a low CTH rating (like TO), or you could have the opposite, a WR that can't make many catches outside of his torso area or arm's length (low SPC) but he can bring in anything that hits his hands (high CTH).

Basically, the SPC rating could help distinguish hands-catchers from body-catchers. Hands-catchers (high SPC) can make more leaning/one-handed/almost-out-of-reach grabs, while body-catchers (low SPC) can only make catches that hit them in the chest or are really easy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »