Home

Stopping the CPU passing game?

This is a discussion on Stopping the CPU passing game? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 12-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #17
Rookie

Tylerazevedo's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Stopping the CPU passing game?

The only 'catch all' defense there is requires 2 or 3 fast shutdown corners and 2 fast safety's who can cover (very rare). In this case, you can man up everyone and then blitz with your LB's. If you have a dominate pass rusher, you can usually bring 4 guys and get to the QB.

However, 99% of the teams you play with will require much better scheming.

The idea is to figure out with the offense is killing you with and adjust. If they are hitting you over the middle, run Cover 1. If they are hitting you with deep passes to the outside, run Cover 2 man (if you have big corners then bump). If they are hitting you with screens or short dumps to the outside, put your 2 corners in the flat zones. On 3rd and 10+, BLITZ EVERYONE and play as one of the guys in coverage. Most of the time the QB will have to dump the pass off quickly and you can stop them short of the 1st down (if they don't they will get sacked).

Focus on the run in the beginning of the game. Once you shut it down, the CPU will abandon the run and make play calling much easier since play action will be useless.

Also, look at the team's roster. If you are playing the a weak run game, you can call your plays geared towards the pass. If you are playing a weak passing game (pretty much any QB with AWR under 80), load up the box and make the crappy passing game beat you.
}
Old 12-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

The way to beat the cpu is simple, the problem is it is also BORING. Just play coverage every play. I only rush 3 or less against the cpu and always get around 5 sacks. But if you control one of the rushers or do any blitzing the CPU is going to start shredding your D. I mean threading the needle - something a human player cannot do because defenders will warp to the ball. I wonder where all that warping goes when the cpu gets in the mode of "ohhh no they are blitzing me. "

Just play coverage and you will not have any problems out of the cpu at all.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #19
Pro

OVR: 7

I'm seeing an improvement, thanks for the advice! It's not quite perfect though, the CPU still beats me with playaction. When I call a blitz, it seems like my blitzers hesitate and the CPU can sit in the pocket for as long as they need. Of course when I call a playaction and the CPU blitzes, I'm having to rush my passes. I wonder if AWR has something to do with it.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:43 PM   #20
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

this is where i wish the line audible worked because pinch should make the pocket tighter and aggressive it should fan out catching the outside line backers and the left and right is a joke by time the shuffle the line is already through

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »