Home

every year same story... human passing game is too easy..

This is a discussion on every year same story... human passing game is too easy.. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #81
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: every year same story... human passing game is too easy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
That's not what I'm saying. Say the play is something like 'Slot Left Long Turn Right 928 H Dig' in which the slot runs an in route. Because the length of the route dictates the protection, the WR has to run 10-12 yards then make his break. Once he makes his break, he can then find the window in the defense like you said.

But the whole play is based on timing that's not currently in the game.
Okay, I get what you're saying now.

Would be interesting to have the passing game run that way for sure in Madden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballplaya72
Unless it's an option route, you dont adjust your route most of the time.

Route combinations and setting up other players to get open are just as important as getting open yourself.
True - does that work as it should in Madden as well? Clear outs and such?

Or are Madden's passing plays even designed to take advantage of such techniques?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #82
Banned

OVR: 4

Personally, I think the entire passing game needs serious adjustment. I would focus, both defensively and offensively, on these things

1) Route Running
2) Catching the ball in tight coverage (Madden makes catching in traffic WAY too easy, unless you drop the catch slider so low that the WR starts dropping wide open deep balls)
3) Better coverage reading and option routes by the AI WR's.

4) Better defensive hits on vulnerable receivers. In the current animation based system, the "catch attempt" animation has to finish before the "tackle" or "hit" animations can begin. That is if the "intercept attempt" animation doesn't happen first. Speaking of that....
5) More realistic DB and LB movement. No more CB's that can back-pedal as fast as my WR can sprint forward. No more accelerating sideways in the air to make a one-handed miracle interception (Usually linebackers I'm trying to put the ball above and over the middle)
6) Fix bump-and run coverage. In M10, the bump is an extremely long event. The bump is an important part of the game. But guys like Donald Driver aren't going to stay jammed up very long at all.
7) Fix coverage on slot receivers and tight ends, especially in crossing routes and seam routes. For some reason, it is still impossible to the ai to play press on the slot receiver.

In the NFL, a WR will get wide open, not because the guy covering him was a horrible player, and not because the WR has god like speed. Rather, it is frequently because the defensive play called allowed such an opportunity. This means that the AI needs better play calling to handle passing situations better and to stifle pass-happy human opponents.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #83
Rookie

Blkcanes's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Actually, some routes in Madden ARE designed to receive the ball at certain points.

I also think this is over done. In real life a WR will stop in the hole in a zone, sit down, and show the QB his numbers. (the good ones anyway). Try that in Madden with one of those routes are do have pre-picked spots and you're throwing a pick. I throw a near pick in almost every game because I see Mason wide open in a hole in the zone and naturally want to chuck it in there (to minimize lead) only to have it bullet to that pre-picked point and be incomplete (or worse).

Out routes seems to be the same way if you throw them the way you should (at the point the WR cuts outside so the ball is on it's way right as the WR starts his cut). The "auto-lead" or pre-picked point takes effect - right into the sideline.

I really don't see all that many passes that are 5 yds off unless it's one of those routes where I forget it's a pre-picked point. If I throw a slant, it's not randomly 5 yds off target. I've seen it a couple yds off or thrown behind the WR and if I bullet it, it's going to be incomplete or picked since the WR can't catch up/adjust in time. I've seen balls thrown high at random, but those times it actually seemed like a good idea because I threw it to someone pretty well covered (yeah, I know - shouldn't force it, and I don't with Josh Johnson or when I had Pat White, believe me )

So maybe I don't understand what these "randomly 5-10yds off" passes are because I don't see them very often except for those routes that seems to be designed for the catch at a certain point and I throw it too early.

Well, unless you mean deep balls (and I think they might be the same way with "pre-picked" points - if I wait long enough, the ball isn't 10 yds overthrown anymore. Hmm...)
The bolded part is whats gets me so frustated with the Madden, There are wr like Wes Welker that find the whole in the zone cut their route short and sit there and let their Qb know that he is open sorry if im saying this and it's in the game but that is something that wr with high awr should only be able to do, and they should be consider the real dangrous. To me right now I have no idea what awr is for when it comes to a wide out.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #84
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkcanes
The bolded part is whats gets me so frustated with the Madden, There are wr like Wes Welker that find the whole in the zone cut their route short and sit there and let their Qb know that he is open sorry if im saying this and it's in the game but that is something that wr with high awr should only be able to do, and they should be consider the real dangrous. To me right now I have no idea what awr is for when it comes to a wide out.
My guesses are:

Picking the right option on an option route

Dragging the feet on the sidelines/endlines (presumably, the AWR needed for this is crazy high, like 95 - at least I read that on here some time back)

Other than that - I haven't seen many in-game difference between WR with very different AWR ratings, though it might have some subtle, hard to distinguish effects (like how often the player uses a break tackles move even when you don't push the button for one).
Old 01-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #85
Rookie

Blkcanes's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
My guesses are:

Picking the right option on an option route

Dragging the feet on the sidelines/endlines (presumably, the AWR needed for this is crazy high, like 95 - at least I read that on here some time back)

Other than that - I haven't seen many in-game difference between WR with very different AWR ratings, though it might have some subtle, hard to distinguish effects (like how often the player uses a break tackles move even when you don't push the button for one).
On that note wouldn't it just be better to have awr for different position from like one to ten. You would need to be over an 8 in awr to make thoese sideline catches or to know where the whole is in the zone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Couldn't you also argue that FPS use random bullet spray to make less accurate guns harder to use at certain distances? Couldn't you associate a "handgun" to a weaker QB like Orton, who has a wilder bullet spray, than a "Sniper" like Brees who has his balls go basically exactly where you direct them to?
No, like I said, you're responsible for where the bullet goes. Like Brees and Orton is responsible where the ball is located. There's nothing random about where bullet goes when you actually aim. Can't say the same about throwing the football in Madden.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #87
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phixius
No, like I said, you're responsible for where the bullet goes. Like Brees and Orton is responsible where the ball is located. There's nothing random about where bullet goes when you actually aim. Can't say the same about throwing the football in Madden.
So all the guns in a FPS have the same accuracy, they just do different damage? I haven't played a FPS so I don't know how they work.

Of course, you could argue sports games use more the RPG mentality. You don't actually swing your sword or chant your spell into a mic - you pick the action and the engine determines hit/miss/damage/crit/death.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #88
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

Just play as JaMarcus Russell if you want a challenging pass game w/overthrows!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »