Home

every year same story... human passing game is too easy..

This is a discussion on every year same story... human passing game is too easy.. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-31-2009, 09:23 AM   #41
MVP

OVR: 55
Re: every year same story... human passing game is too easy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambf12
2 things.

1. they need to change QB accuracy when the QB is scrambling around. qb's are way too accurate when moving around, especially back pedaling. you can lower the accuracy slider but this makes any chance of a deep pass too unrealistic which means you'll be dumping the ball off and going for slants over the middle.

2. give us a button to throw the ball away at someone's feet or out of bounds over their heads. is this too much to ask? everyone in the NFL does this. we are basically limited to forcing the pass and possibly getting a pick, forcing the ball and having way too many drops, or having to run out of the pocket with an immobile QB to throw it away.
I especially agree with #2. Part of the reason people don't throw balls away as much is because it's really hard to do. I've thrown numerous pick-sixes when trying to throw the ball away outside the pocket while scrambling where my QB stops to plant his foot and drive a rocket out of bounds instead of flicking a ball out of bounds. Instead, my QB gets hit, the ball flutters and my opponent high steps his way for 6. It'd be easier to manage plays if we were allowed to throw it away easier... much agreed.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2009, 10:27 AM   #42
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
This is right. Can't really look at things with high stringency until the locomotion is tighter and we can actually trust our eyes a bit more. This would involve the warping we see and the backpedaling at sprinter speed.
That's one of the things that's frustrating with M10. Very few things were truly fixed, most items were simply work arounds. Once the movement is addressed, everything is going to have to be tweaked again.

I can see why Ian and the Animation Director (sorry, might not have the title right and I can't remember his name) had a disagreement about how to move forward. Ultimately it was a trade off between making the game the best it can be given the current limitations, or suffering the limitations and setting it up for future success. Ian made the decision to do the former over the later, and sometimes in software that's the right thing to do especially if you can't fix the problem correctly in the same time frame. Since they went with the former approach, I just hope they were concurrently working on the movement (locomotion) so it's available in M11.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:36 AM   #43
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Random bad passes is the worst implementation of a passing game I have seen in a football game. Bad passing should be a human error, not dictated by a game that's determined to limit your success.
I disagree.

If you're good enough, then you can be perfect. There is no perfection in real life.

If you're playing JaMarcus Russell, you should not be able to turn him into Drew Brees just because you are good enough at the game. How is that realistic?
Old 12-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 2

Coverage on the outside receivers is too effective and coverage of the slot receiver and TE is poor, regardless on the ratings.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #45
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
I disagree.

If you're good enough, then you can be perfect. There is no perfection in real life.

If you're playing JaMarcus Russell, you should not be able to turn him into Drew Brees just because you are good enough at the game. How is that realistic?
Your basis is on the fact that if your good enough you can be perfect. The same could be said for a QB in the NFL. However, no one is that good. The same should be true for the football game. If it's not, then there's an issue with the passing mechanics/game in offline mode or if in online mode then it's typically a skill set issue with the defensive player. I know in 1500 online games of APF2K8 I never once had a player throw 100% on me, and there are only a handful of games where I threw 100% (typically when I threw less than 10 passes, and pounded the ball 30+ times). APF2K8 accomplished this without randomly thrown bad passes (though skill in pocket / on the run, and pressure did affect the throws).

As for bad QB's playing well, I'm sure even bad QB's (yes, even even JeMarcus Russell) have a good game here and there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2009, 11:18 AM   #46
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Your basis is on the fact that if your good enough you can be perfect. The same could be said for a QB in the NFL. However, no one is that good. The same should be true for the football game. If it's not, then there's an issue with the passing mechanics/game in offline mode or if in online mode then it's typically a skill set issue with the defensive player.
Except in the NFL you need tons of skills to be even an average QB (otherwise, just about anyone could be an average NFL QB).

In Madden - you just need to push the right button when the WR is open, and you have a 3rd person view. If the game is to simulate an average QB, and the person is great and pushing buttons with the right timing - how is that average QB going to play anything but great in the game if there's zero randomness in the game?

Even a poor defense shouldn't give up 100% passing, or even 80-90%. The worst completion % allowed this season is 69% (Detroit). So even if the person playing defense is bad - unless they are calling totally stupid plays...what are the AI controlled players doing?

Quote:
As for bad QB's playing well, I'm sure even bad QB's (yes, even even JeMarcus Russell) have a good game here and there.
No, he hasn't.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../gamelog/2009/

An average game...maybe. Where's the good, though?

How, without randomness, would a game simulate this kind of performance if it's all on the human pushing buttons at the right time and reading coverage with the 3rd person view a game pretty much has to have?

Last edited by KBLover; 12-31-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #47
So long to a Legend.

ANDROMADA 1's Arena

OVR: 65

This is getting good.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:45 PM   #48
Rookie

Kegthaplaya's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
No, he hasn't.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../gamelog/2009/

An average game...maybe. Where's the good, though?
http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../gamelog/2008/

Check out those games against denver and the one against houston

Also a slider you guys arent mentioning is the tackle slider for the defense. Its harder to catch it as your being hit, and this is generally what stops all those over the middle throws in the real nfl.

I notice an enourmous difference between bad qbs and good ones. I also notice an enourmous difference between bad cbs and good ones, Asomugha is not a very nice guy to be playing againt.

The only real problem with the passing game is how easy it is to get open on short passes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »