Home

Bears: Questions about converting to the 3-4

This is a discussion on Bears: Questions about converting to the 3-4 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-31-2009, 03:16 PM   #17
Rookie

Blkcanes's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Bears: Questions about converting to the 3-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Brasi
You are correct, though i TRY to keep things as realistic as possible in regards to that.

Not really complaining but i do hope the developers put more priority into the 3-4 D for '11. Teams that run the 3-4 draft colleges DE's and convert them into OLB's...if you try that right now in Madden they take major rating hits.
I Find the hard part a about it is that no matter how much you stay true to realism, computer run teams never make the actual moves we see Coaches in real life make. I don't know how they would do it but hopefully madden teams makes that a priority in having the right personal for the right schemes in Madden 11.

It's so deflating to do everything the right way and Free Agency comes around and the Chargers are going after a 256 pound DE.

But to answer your question, Leave Brian in the middle, move Briggs over, if you cannot find OLB try trading for one on another team. I usually go after Gholston (sp) on the jets. The 3-4 would be beautiful if it was implemented to be ran the correct way.

Last edited by Blkcanes; 12-31-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:59 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballplaya72
This is all great for REAL football, but it doesnt matter at all in Madden. You can have Dwight Freeny and Robert Mathis line up as 3-4 DE's and be just fine.
I dont completely agree. If I have a smaller, weaker defensive lineman in for the 3-4, they play terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hush-
So I ended trying this and for the most part I really liked the results.

I made the following moves and I'm having an issue.

Urlacher - ILB
Briggs - ILB
Tinoisimoa - LOLB
Gaines Adams - ROLB

My problem is that when I call a formation other than 3-4, Briggs ends up on the bench. I know I can change the formation structure but it's overly frustrating having to do it for every game.
This is what I would do with yout team. Tinoisimoa is a TERRIBLE 3-4 OLB. If you MUST keep him, move him inside and leave Briggs as OLB. Move either Gains Adams or Alex Brown to OLB. Hell move them both to OLB(LOLB/ROLB), and get rid of Tinoisimoa. So for the LBs, you can do one of these 2 schemes

ILB - Brian Urlacher
ILB - Pisa Tinoisimoa
OLB - Lance Briggs
OLB - Alex Brown/Gaines Adams

or

ILB - Brian Urlacher
ILB - Lance Briggs
OLB - Alex Brown
OLB- Gaines Adams

Then you move Tommie Harris to DE, your 2nd strongest d-linemen to the other DE, and then your strongest d-linemen to DT. I dont know the Bears roster that well, so you may need to move your two best DTs to DE, then get a really strong(strength in the 90s, high 90s if possible) DT.

Let me know what you think about this, as this is very interesting to me, as I love football and designin plays and putting players in the best position to win is really fun to me haha.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:38 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3
This is what I would do with yout team. Tinoisimoa is a TERRIBLE 3-4 OLB. If you MUST keep him, move him inside and leave Briggs as OLB. Move either Gains Adams or Alex Brown to OLB. Hell move them both to OLB(LOLB/ROLB), and get rid of Tinoisimoa. So for the LBs, you can do one of these 2 schemes

ILB - Brian Urlacher
ILB - Pisa Tinoisimoa
OLB - Lance Briggs
OLB - Alex Brown/Gaines Adams

or

ILB - Brian Urlacher
ILB - Lance Briggs
OLB - Alex Brown
OLB- Gaines Adams

Then you move Tommie Harris to DE, your 2nd strongest d-linemen to the other DE, and then your strongest d-linemen to DT. I dont know the Bears roster that well, so you may need to move your two best DTs to DE, then get a really strong(strength in the 90s, high 90s if possible) DT.

Let me know what you think about this, as this is very interesting to me, as I love football and designin plays and putting players in the best position to win is really fun to me haha.
What I have right now is this.

Defensive Line
  • (LE) Anthony Adams (OVR:61 STR:87 SPD:58)
  • (NT) Marcus Harrisson (OVR:68 STR:90 SPD:64)
  • (RE) Tommie Harris (OVR:86 STR:85 SPD:75)
I moved Harris to the right end so that he's in the best position to get pressure. Harrisson is the strongest tackle I have which is why he is at NT. Adams is at the other end mostly because he's my best option, though not the greatest.

Linebackers
  • (LOLB) Pino Tinoisamoa (OVR:73 STR:65 SPD:85)
  • (LILB) Brian Urlacher (OVR:94 STR:77 SPD:85)
  • (RILB) Lance Briggs (OVR:91 STR:80 SPD:78 )
  • (ROLB) Gaines Adams (OVR:63 STR:72 SPD:83)
In the one full game I've played using this setup Tinoisamoa did OK, but really he's there because I don't have another great option. Alex Brown (OVR:62 STR:76 SPD:78) and Ogunleye (OVR:65 STR:74 SPD:78) both take HUGE hits to their overall moving to the outside. Maybe overall doesn't really matter though and I should just do it, which means Brown because I won't be resigning Ogunleye.

I like Urlacher and Briggs in the middle a lot, but again I'm concerned with Briggs leaving the field when I only have 3 linebackers on the field. I really wish they would put permanent formation subs back into the game.

And finally I like Adams on the right outside. He's has good speed and decent strength. He probably would actually make a pretty good OLB in real life if he were in a 3-4 system.

My weak points are Tino, Harrisson and A. Adams. All of which I will try to address through free agency or trades.

All of the input is great guys, thanks.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:19 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 7

That set up is good. So you're priorities right now are DT, LE, and LOLB in the off-season as you've already stated. Goodluck!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »