Home

Bears: Questions about converting to the 3-4

This is a discussion on Bears: Questions about converting to the 3-4 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Bears: Questions about converting to the 3-4

I'm a big fan of football and an even bigger fan of the Bears. I've been playing Madden since the early days but most of my experience comes from playing out of the 4-3 defense. I know the basics of it, but I don't know/understand the keys to running it successfully.

I've messed around with different teams and have landed on using the Jets 3-4 playbook, but now I'm at the point where I have to convert my team over for using it.

What should I be looking at for the key positions? What kinds of DE, DT, MLB and OLB am I looking for?

As a side note, has anyone successfully converted the Bears without completely gutting the defense?

All help is welcome and appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Bears: Questions about converting to the 3-4

I cannot tell you exactly what you'd need to do to your bears, but I can tell you what you need to run a 3-4.

Lets start with the defensive line. You need big strong lineman. I personally like to use 3 defensive tackles. They must have high strength, bull rush, and block shedding ratings.

The outside linebackers are practically defensive ends. These guys are probably gonna be the most atheltic guys on your team. I like to look for either undersized defensive ends, with high speed ratings(for a DE), bigger than your average OLB, and high strength and pass rush ratings.

The inside linebackers honestly, dont have to be much difference than the ones in a 4-3 defense. Maybe alittle bigger(stronger, and higher bloch shedding, pass rush) since they will be enganged more since there are only 3 linemen. Basically you want 3 defensive tackles, 2 small, fast DEs for OLBs and 2 big storng ILBs.

Hope that helps
Old 12-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37

For the DT position, you are looking for a player to fill the Nose Tackle role. Big (320-350 lbs), strong (95+ strength), with high power moves and block shedding. For me as the Panthers, Kemoeatu was a natural fit for a NT.

For OLB, you are looking for a fast 4-3 DE with high finesse or power moves and good zone coverage helps too. I love using Peppers as a 3-4 ROLB even if the game says he falls from a 95 to a 80.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:35 PM   #4
In case you forgot...

mKoz26's Arena

OVR: 30

Here's my take:

Move Lance Briggs to ILB.
Move Alex Brown to OLB.
Move Jarron Gilbert to DE.
Move Tommie Harris to DE.
Get a NT.
Get an OLB.

I don't know about in-game ratings, but that's what I would do with the real-life Bears.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

Really good feedback all, thanks.

This definitely gets be on my way for building a defense around the new scheme.

As a follow up question, is the Jets playbook a good one for the 3-4? Would you recommend another?

Thanks again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37

I like the Jets because it has the 46 and 1-5-5. Jets/Ravens/Cowboys/Patriots/3-4/Multiple D are all fine. Ravens and Multiple D has the 46 formation as well
Old 12-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
Rookie

celetheo's Arena

OVR: 1

With the 3-4, at least for me, the defensive line is key. Try to have the DT have 95 strength or so, while the DE's have at least 80-85 strength with decent speed. In your case, Tommie Harris would be a beast at DE especially if you can fill in a good DT. If you don't have any options, try signing DT Shaun Smith (not sure on exact name) out of FA's...he has 90+ strength and at the least could be a good fill in if your other DT's get tired...You will probably want to trade either of your other DE's and try to get a stronger one opposite of Harris too...

You will also probably want to move Briggs inside and get a good pash rushing OLB opposite of Tinoisamoa (or whatever his name is).. Someone modeled after a Harrison or Merriman that will pressure the QB and keep the pressure off the secondary..

Good luck!

Oh, and for playbooks the Jets D is great. Try using the 3-2-6 in 3rd and longs with a variety of blitzes and zone/man coverage schemes..
Old 12-30-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
Pro

Bballplaya72's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3
I cannot tell you exactly what you'd need to do to your bears, but I can tell you what you need to run a 3-4.

Lets start with the defensive line. You need big strong lineman. I personally like to use 3 defensive tackles. They must have high strength, bull rush, and block shedding ratings.

The outside linebackers are practically defensive ends. These guys are probably gonna be the most atheltic guys on your team. I like to look for either undersized defensive ends, with high speed ratings(for a DE), bigger than your average OLB, and high strength and pass rush ratings.

The inside linebackers honestly, dont have to be much difference than the ones in a 4-3 defense. Maybe alittle bigger(stronger, and higher bloch shedding, pass rush) since they will be enganged more since there are only 3 linemen. Basically you want 3 defensive tackles, 2 small, fast DEs for OLBs and 2 big storng ILBs.

Hope that helps
This is all great for REAL football, but it doesnt matter at all in Madden. You can have Dwight Freeny and Robert Mathis line up as 3-4 DE's and be just fine.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »