Home

5 subtle changes that will make this game 100 x's for me

This is a discussion on 5 subtle changes that will make this game 100 x's for me within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #1
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
5 subtle changes that will make this game 100 x's for me

Everyone else has gone over a majority of the big things, but there are 5, what I deem subtle changes that will improve this game ten-fold for me and maybe even others. Some people may consider one or two of these a big things, others may view my list as nitpicky or whatnot, but for whatever its worth...here we go.

5) Navigation thru the menus - Am I the only one that gets irritated having to press the R2/L2 button(PS3) and also scroll with the L-analog stick or D-pad? Couldn't I just be able to press the R2/L2 button to scroll thru the menus ala NCAA Football '10 and then use the L-Stick to scroll to a specific menu quicker?

4) Roster Management Breakdown menu - Ok..don't get me wrong...I actually like the way they are doing the breakdown so that you can see who has the best talent at any given position and it can be sorted by division, conference, or the entire NFL. Its also cool that it shows the money thrown into these positions. But what happened to the screen that gave you a quick overview of your ENTIRE roster so that you could see how many players you have total, at what positions as well, without having to add them up? Call me lazy, but I truly miss that screen.

3) Draft Day Grades/Cheers/Jeers/Breakdown by Round - Again, I love what they've done with the draft. Allowing you to see the teams draft day breakdown as they pick. Very cool. I like the scrolling at the bottom of the screen. But what about the ability to just go round by round to see who was taken where? What about grading the draft after its completion? And am I the only one that misses the Madison Square Garden crowd cheering or booing my picks(PS2 version for years)?

2) Team/Player Chemistry - Franchise mode has taken a step in the right direction this year, as its playable and pretty darn entertaining if you ask me. But I miss the player/team chemistry. This is a MUST nowadays in sports video games in my humble opinion. I should have to think twice about getting a guy such as Terrell Owens as I have to take into account his antics in the locker room. Is he going to demand the ball? Cry about his Quarterback? Something similar to this was in the last gen versions of the game, and again, I sorely miss it.

1) Shade inside/outside & individual press/loose coverage assignments - Ok, this is the one that may be deemed a little more than a subtle change, but what happened here? I miss this. Shading guys in/out depending on safety help was a HUGE addition and stragtegic element in the last gen versions. Also, the ability to play a particular receiver in press coverage or back off of him was also a welcomed addition. Please..please..let this be included next year.

So there you have it, my humble subtle changes list. Not sure if its too late for any of my ramblings to matter for next year's game, but its here just in case.

And now..back to Madden NFL '10...as the Tebow era is about to kickoff in Oakland. See you around OS!

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 34
Re: 5 subtle changes that will make this game 100 x's for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Everyone else has gone over a majority of the big things, but there are 5, what I deem subtle changes that will improve this game ten-fold for me and maybe even others. Some people may consider one or two of these a big things, others may view my list as nitpicky or whatnot, but for whatever its worth...here we go.

5) Navigation thru the menus - Am I the only one that gets irritated having to press the R2/L2 button(PS3) and also scroll with the L-analog stick or D-pad? Couldn't I just be able to press the R2/L2 button to scroll thru the menus ala NCAA Football '10 and then use the L-Stick to scroll to a specific menu quicker?

1) Shade inside/outside & individual press/loose coverage assignments - Ok, this is the one that may be deemed a little more than a subtle change, but what happened here? I miss this.

This. Everything else is just gravy.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 21

There's definitely still a dedicated menu just for roster breakdown that lists how many of each position you have versus how many you need.

I agree with the top item in your list, holding down L2 & R2 while I scroll is totally unnecessary and cramps the ol fingers up in no time...

I also strongly agree with the bottom item, although you're probably right that it's more than just a quick subtle fix

• PSN ID: MaddenDew
Old 01-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
MVP

capp34's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

1) Shade inside/outside & individual press/loose coverage assignments - Ok, this is the one that may be deemed a little more than a subtle change, but what happened here? I miss this. Shading guys in/out depending on safety help was a HUGE addition and stragtegic element in the last gen versions. Also, the ability to play a particular receiver in press coverage or back off of him was also a welcomed addition. Please..please..let this be included next year.
This has been on my wishlist for the last 3 years hopefully its a reality this year. They have no idea how this would totally change how you play defense in the game. Making the game much more enjoyable instead of that handicapped feeling you get sometimes on defense.

Kings of the Kourt Commissioner

KOTK Discord - https://discord.gg/Swj5cJe
Old 01-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

Two things I would like to see brought back, they were in '09 and '08, are the R3 popup screens when viewing teams in the schedule and teams under the stats menu.

For the schedule popup, we used to see the team's ratings, yards per game both gained and allowed per game (offense/defense, running and passing), and scoring per game/allowed for the offense/defense.

For stats, the popup would show the teams NFL and division rankings for all the different offensive, defensive, conversion, red zone, turnovers, etc. categories. This was an awesome barometer to see where your team stands in the league. Instead of the division though, I'd rather see my team's rankings in their conference.

The Roster Breakdown for the team was also available off one or both of these screens. So you could see the entire 53 Man Roster and where you may need to make changes.

Please bring these back as they add to the immersion and fun factor of franchise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 3

They basically need to scrap the offseason and integrate Head Coach 09.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
Pro

Jump's Arena

OVR: 12

Wish list forum?
Old 01-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump
Wish list forum?
nope this is the regular forum...

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »